Prickly pear pad (nopales)

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Prickly pear pad (nopales)

Postby danwbrews » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:00 pm

warramungas wrote:The allergens should denature or be unable to carry in the distillate. Like how people allergic to grain can drink all grain vodka.
To remove fine cactus hairs buy some women's waxing strips. Work well.

Here in Texas, we use a torch and burn them off. I can buy the pears (tunas) that have that already done. I make mead from them and use 7 to 8 pounds of pears and 13 lbs of honey for a 5 gallon batch. To make wine you use 15 quarts plus 10 lbs of sugar. The mead is approx. 18% . The wine, I've never made myself. I did taste some that was aged for two years... was like rocket fuel still.
I like the idea of roasting them like for tequila. I saw an interesting site that told how to do agave cactus for tequila. The guy who made it smoked them for 4 days until his wife asked where the food was! :))

Dan
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Re: Prickly pear pad (nopales)

Postby Justin_P » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:42 pm

This is definitely an interesting recipe that I would love to try some time. Biggest problem is that there aren't many plants growing near Sydney.
Justin_P

equipment: 5 Star 4" Eliminator and keg boiler

Previous

Return to Recipe Development