Great Gin Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Great Gin Recipe Discussion

Postby Chocko6969 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:03 pm

G'day all, over the weekend I got to run my first gin and have to say I'm quite impressed. I used one of the recipes from this forum and not being a gin drinker as such I'm very happy with it.
Only one aesthetic issue, after allowing it to sit overnight in the cuts jars, I diluted to 40% with filtered water and this has caused clouding?
It's still a good taste and smell but I was hoping for clear, is it just too many oils come over and into the product?
I did cuts just to learn if there were differences in flavours at different abv, and ran 3ltrs of hearts down to 30% on the parrot.

Any thoughts appreciated

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby PeterC » Mon May 27, 2019 6:24 pm

The oils coming out of solution on dilution with water and causing clouding is called louching (also called the ouzo effect). Some here say that Gin is better at 45% abv so you could try that. If the flavour is plenty strong you could add some neutral back to it to see at what abv it clears, but sometimes it does not easily reverse and go clear. Better to go the other way. The 40% abv spirit rule is more to do with tax and labeling declarations. For brown spirits, I oak at 65% (which they say is optimum) and don't bother diluting just use a bit less when making mixers (or not!)
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg with 2x2000W elements. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column + 500mm packed section just learning to drive. Plus other bits.

Postby Chocko6969 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:42 pm

PeterC wrote:The oils coming out of solution on dilution with water and causing clouding is called louching (also called the ouzo effect). Some here say that Gin is better at 45% abv so you could try that. If the flavour is plenty strong you could add some neutral back to it to see at what abv it clears, but sometimes it does not easily reverse and go clear. Better to go the other way. The 40% abv spirit rule is more to do with tax and labeling declarations. For brown spirits, I oak at 65% (which they say is optimum) and don't bother diluting just use a bit less when making mixers (or not!)

Thank you for the information here, always learning new and interesting things! I'll have a go at getting it back up to 45abv and see if that helps otherwise will just go with it and be happy with the cloud!
Cheers mate,

Chocko
Chocko6969

Postby Chocko6969 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:48 pm

Well that worked a treat, 45% it is!

Cheers!
Chocko6969

Postby Bee jay » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:54 pm

Dont know if anynone has tried to do a knock of Piger Henricus gin .
Parsnips involved late in the recipe look up there site somthing different.
Bee jay

equipment: T 500 1es6wsk

Postby RC Al » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:20 pm

The other thing is, did you add water to alcohol or vice-versa?

Just as you pour your drink over ice, you should be pouring the alc into the right volume of water, this will also help avoid louching
RC Al

equipment: Old SS Reflux
2" Potty on 50l keg Uber burner

Postby Craiguzzi » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Where is the oriss Angelica and grains of paradise available in Adelaide?
Craiguzzi

equipment: Slightly Modified T500, looking to build pot still for it

Postby PeterC » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Craiguzzi wrote:Where is the oriss Angelica and grains of paradise available in Adelaide?

got mine on line from from Austral Herbs https://www.australherbs.com.au/
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg with 2x2000W elements. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column + 500mm packed section just learning to drive. Plus other bits.

Postby Tesla101 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:11 pm

:text-+1: ^^^

Grains of Paradise also available online at Herbie's Spices.
Tesla101

equipment: T500 pot still (Pot Head) & reflux column (Skinny Bitch)
(wish I had a FSD 4" Visualiser)

Postby Permaclutter » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:06 pm

Jaeger fine foods shop 38 in the Central Market has Grains of Paradise, The Honey Shop has Angelica and The Organic Market in Stirling has Orris powder.
Permaclutter

equipment: 80l horizontal keg, 3" x1300mm ss packed column Block head CM with gin basket

Previous

Return to Recipe Development