Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby slodki » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:14 pm

Just sampling my first TPW.

Never going back to turbos. I filtered the diluted stuff as a final polish - I'm used to doing it, so for sake of a complete comparison I figured I would do it as well.

Mixed it up as I would normally drink my vodka's - this stuff is dangerous. :twisted:

Can't taste or smell anything - this stuff will easily jiggle your legs if you don't watch what you're doing :obscene-drinkingdrunk: Good thing I have another few batches on the go !
slodki

equipment: FSD Neutralizer

Postby Plumby » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:45 am

G'day all I have a question regarding the cuts for the tpw, I am going to put the turbo wash that came with my still through this weekend and after that im going to tpw all the way. My question is, I don't have quite enough small jars or stubbies ( I only have tallies as that's what I bottle my beer into) to do proper cuts, can I run it like a turbo and collect everything after the first 150mm then carbon filter it and end up with drinkable neutral spirit?

Thanks in advance :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:05 am

You can run it however you want, mate, but don't expect anything special out of any wash without making cuts.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:46 am

Plumby wrote:G'day all I have a question regarding the cuts for the tpw, I am going to put the turbo wash that came with my still through this weekend and after that im going to tpw all the way. My question is, I don't have quite enough small jars or stubbies ( I only have tallies as that's what I bottle my beer into) to do proper cuts, can I run it like a turbo and collect everything after the first 150mm then carbon filter it and end up with drinkable neutral spirit?

Thanks in advance :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Short answer is no. You need to take it off in fractions, especially when starting out Use drinking glasses, jars.. anything. You could even just take 300ml cuts in your big bottles, you don't need to fill them up.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Plumby » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks for the reply's guys I thought that would be the answer to my question but as a wise man once said " if you don't ask question's, you wont learn anything".
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Plumby.

There are two cuts that have to be made ,one at the beginning and one at the end .

There needs to be a choice of jars at the start and at the end .

So start is easy ,just collect in about 4-5 300ml jars ......Then the middle bit can go into a larger bottle as this is the middle hearts bit.... then you need to change out to smaller jars again before tails comes on so you can have the choices for the end cut

So this is how I do it .

collect the first 4-5 300mls worth in separate jars.

then I collect the next 300ml ....add a teaspoon of water to a teaspoon of the jar ....Mmmmm .....yum...into the big jar :handgestures-thumbupleft:
then I collect the next 300ml ....add a teaspoon of water to a teaspoon of the jar ....Mmmmm .....yum...into the big jar :handgestures-thumbupleft:
then I collect the next 300ml ....add a teaspoon of water to a teaspoon of the jar ....Mmmmm .......OK ..into the big jar :think:
then I collect the next 300ml ....add a teaspoon of water to a teaspoon of the jar ....Mmmmm .still OK..into the big jar : :think: :think:
then I collect the next 300ml ....add a teaspoon of water to a teaspoon of the jar ....Mmmmm ....not sure .... :think: :think: :think: Keep this jar separate

Collect the next next few jars separately , each time ....add a teaspoon of water to a teaspoon from the jar until.....:puke-huge: stop collecting ...Turn it off

Then .. the next day ...come in and add a teaspoon of water to a teaspoon from each jar and decide which ones go into the big jar and which ones go into the feints collection
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby woodduck » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:40 am

peterhobit wrote:I used home brand tomato paste (3 x 55 liter ferments) and it has a fair bit of fiber in it. Does that settle to the bottom after its finished fermenting? Because at the moment it is just floating on top.

Hi guys I've had a quick skim though the thread to find the answer to the obove question. The batch I want to run today has got these floaties aswell. I would like to know if I can still distill it like this. They have been floating for 5 days now since the wash finished, I just thought they would sink with time but they haven't.
Any advice would be great

Thanks boys
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:51 am

Don't panic about a few floaters mate, they won't drink much... It's when they start swimming, THEN you can get concerned haha
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks zak
I didn't think they'd be a problem but it's the first one to do it so I was a bit worried something had stuffed up.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby sp0rk » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:08 pm

Running my first TPW through a SS Super Reflux still right now
Got it coming through at about 2L per minute and WOW
Just tasted a lil from my 4th jar of 300ml cuts
So much better than turbos, I'm convinced for sure!
If I had of gotten up earlier, I could have had the second lot of TPW run this afternoon as well (damn this still takes forever to heat up)
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby woodduck » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:45 pm

2 ltrs a minute, hell I want one of those. :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby sp0rk » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:03 pm

lol oops
2L an hour even...
sp0rk

2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka

Postby 620rossco » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:24 am

(damn this still takes forever to heat up)

Did you wrap some insulation around the boiler? Makes a huge difference to heat up times.
620rossco

equipment: 3"pot 2"double bok 3"LM/VM.

Postby sp0rk » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:45 am

Nahh, didn't think of that, will do it next time (hopefully I'll finish my still before I need to use one again, though)
I'll let my mate who owns it know though, thanks!
sp0rk

2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka

Postby digitalebola » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:43 am

Stupid question - Has anyone run a TPW thru a pot still or bubbler? Curious if its a good cheap cleaning run or if its drinkable. :think:
digitalebola

equipment: Bathtub and a stick for essential oils

Postby digitalebola » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 am

I'm assuming just do multiple spirit runs to get it clean and its good to go
digitalebola

Postby sp0rk » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:08 am

Some people have said here even after 3 runs and tight cuts with a pot still, TPW will still have the tomato flavour there
So I guess it's up to you whether it's worth the time or not for a possibly not amazing product
sp0rk

2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka

Postby digitalebola » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:12 am

Oh ok - No worries, i guess will need to reflux to strip it properly
Cheers
digitalebola

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:17 am

Depends on the bubbler, mate, a 4 or 5 plate bubbler with a packed section (ie; the FSD Neutralizer) will give you a perfect neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:37 pm

digitalebola wrote:Stupid question - Has anyone run a TPW thru a pot still or bubbler? Curious if its a good cheap cleaning run or if its drinkable. :think:

I ran a lot of tpw through my ol pot and the results were decent after 3 runs. Strip to get enough low wines, spirit run, cut, water down as much as possible and slow spirit run again.

This gave a decent neutral from a pot, I only recommend using it for flavoured vodkas like espresso or spd. The flavours that are there is not tomato at all but it is certainly not a pure vodka. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Give it a crack mate you just might surprise yourself!
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development