Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby sp0rk » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Picked up an alcometer this afternoon and tested the stuff I ran over the weekend
All of it around 70% abv...
Though admittedly it still tastes great
Guess I'll treat that as a stripping run and put it all back through (watered down) and run it super slow
I need to get my shit together and get my stills built so I can stop using this crappy little super reflux still!
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Depends on the bubbler, mate, a 4 or 5 plate bubbler with a packed section (ie; the FSD Neutralizer) will give you a perfect neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Total agreement here 5 plates and packed section :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby mattcoffs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:22 pm

Urrazeb wrote:
digitalebola wrote:Stupid question - Has anyone run a TPW thru a pot still or bubbler? Curious if its a good cheap cleaning run or if its drinkable. :think:

I ran a lot of tpw through my ol pot and the results were decent after 3 runs. Strip to get enough low wines, spirit run, cut, water down as much as possible and slow spirit run again.

This gave a decent neutral from a pot, I only recommend using it for flavoured vodkas like espresso or spd. The flavours that are there is not tomato at all but it is certainly not a pure vodka. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Give it a crack mate you just might surprise yourself!

I was pretty impressed by my first go.

Working on some low wines stock to do a better second time round.

Mine is a pot still but has a packed column, and it does do some refluxing... I found the first batch i did (single strip and single spirit) was greatly improved by sitting on carbon for a couple of weeks.

It was easily drinkable at 50% straight, i wouldn't say there was any tomato there. It did have a flavour to it, but not bad. After carbon it was much closer to a stoli vodka (although i don't have a very refined vodka palate i must admit...) My girl thought it was great and she's pretty fussy when it comes to vodka - so that's all the proof i need!

The low wines i have at the moment i plan on distilling twice and sitting on carbon a couple of times. Looking forward to making a comparison between single and double distilled...
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:24 am

it's drinkable if you can stand the taste, could always add some cat piss to improve it :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby mattcoffs » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:31 am

MacStill wrote:it's drinkable if you can stand the taste, could always add some cat piss to improve it :teasing-neener:

I've not drank cat piss so i'll have to take your word on that one!
mattcoffs

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:33 am

me neither, but I've had pot stilled TPW :puke-huge: could only imagine cat piss would improve it vastly :obscene-birdiedoublered:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby mattcoffs » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:40 am

MacStill wrote:me neither, but I've had pot stilled TPW :puke-huge: could only imagine cat piss would improve it vastly :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Ahhh well, gotta do what you can with what you got!

Truthfully though after the carbon i didn't think it tasted like anything much...
Could be a palate thing, could be a never tried tpw through one of them fancy steeels thing... :))
mattcoffs

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:43 am

horses for courses mate, try macwhisky or bko through the pot, you'll have something reasonable straight off the still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby mattcoffs » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:52 am

MacStill wrote:horses for courses mate, try macwhisky or bko through the pot, you'll have something reasonable straight off the still :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So many things to try!
Macwhisky looks good, i might try that one next. Have a nutrigrain ageing right now and some cfw low wines waiting for a third gen... I don't have much space left for preparing food, but who needs that shit! :laughing-rolling:
Cheers!
mattcoffs

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 am

you're on the right path with those recipes mate, pot stilled NGW is a very nice drop.... keep makin & stop waiting :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby twobottles » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 pm

This could be a silly question, I have asked them before but not for a lon time.
I have 4 28l tpw strips, two through the pure distilling reflux with modified valve, and two through my recently mended shotgun pot. One of them took a long time to ferment out because the heatpad kicked the bucket and did not clear properly, the other just didn't clear properly.

Time is scarce and I will need to distill over two evenings after work.

Should I put it in the boiler and run fores and heads slowly tonight then spirit run tomorrow, or do the fores and heads tonight then crank it all out through the reflux and spirit run that tomorrow.....

Just wondering if I'm wasting time gas and money or will I get a better product the second way cheers
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Postby Kimbo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:22 pm

Do a quick/fast stripping run on your washes and collect all the low wines.
you can then do your spirit run at a later date :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby twobottles » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Do a quick/fast stripping run on your washes and collect all the low wines.
you can then do your spirit run at a later date

Sorry for the confusion, I have stripped the four 28l washes. I have been used to stripping with the reflux still, this strips at a pretty high abv. I have some experience running spirit runs on such stripped low wines.

Two strips were made using the reflux weeks ago.

I have just done two strip runs using the pot still, these are lower abv than i'm used to and because the washes were not clear as others have been in the past they smell much more like tomato wine than my previous reflux strips. It could be that I just have no experience with the smell of a pot stripped tpw and that a spirit run on these strips will still produce a nice product........

Im used to 80-90% strips, then dilute with water for spirit run. The sum of the strips I have now will be nearer 50-60%. I was worried that too much wash has come through especially since they were not as clear as i'm used to. If 40% is tomato wine and I spirit run these and get 92% then I will have 8% of 40% that is not alcohol. If I strip once more with the reflux and then do a spirit run I will have only 8% of 10% that is not alcohol.

Am I mad?
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Best to do it in one run mate, in other words don't take fores/heads and switch it off, do the whole run in one go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I hope that answers your question :?
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:37 pm

A pot strip/reflux spirit run will give you a clean spirit... Don't panic :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby stretch69 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 pm

I put down a 100ltr batch with ec1118 about a week and a half ago. It's had this foam layer on it the whole time but is still bubbling away at 18c!.
I know a lot of guys run this at a bit higher temps but I thought I'd run it slow whilst I'm waiting for Mac to get some bits in :handgestures-thumbupleft:
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby res » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:47 pm

stretch69 wrote:I put down a 100ltr batch with ec1118 about a week and a half ago. It's had this foam layer on it the whole time but is still bubbling away at 18c!.
I know a lot of guys run this at a bit higher temps but I thought I'd run it slow whilst I'm waiting for Mac to get some bits in :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you have the time a lower temp fermentation will produce a better (more neutral) neutral, IMO. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby stretch69 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Is it normal to have this layer of foam on top?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stretch69

equipment: 4" 4 plate FSD Bubbler!
50l Boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:47 pm

I think that might be an EC1118 thing? All of my washes since going to EC1118 have had a big foamy cap...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby all-lag » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:24 pm

would tomato wash still be good after 2months wih the airlock in the whole time
all-lag

equipment: Looking at building a 50-100L still i have been using a T500 for over a year and just would like to try it on a bigger scale

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development