Rhubarb Brandy

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rhubarb Brandy

Postby warramungas » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Yum. Rhubarb stew on weetbix. :D
Sorry. Flashback to my childhood.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:20 pm

williewonker wrote:could I get away with lowans yeast?

I wouldn't with fruit or veg. :handgestures-thumbdown:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:58 pm

You want to use a country wine yeast like Vintners Harvest MO33 or maybe EC1118 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby williewonker » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:56 pm

TasSpirits wrote:You want to use a country wine yeast like Vintners Harvest MO33 or maybe EC1118 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

grabbed some ECC1118 wine yeast from the local HBS, bubbling away nicely :)
williewonker

equipment: t-500 boiler with 2" pot still liebig style & a 5ltr SS reflux.

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:07 pm

just started macerating my 2nd lot, 5kg frozen and chopped rhubarb with 4kgs sugar in a 25L wash, once my big fermenters are free Ill put down some bigger lots. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby williewonker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:54 pm

wondering how long it will take to ferment, only got a few days next week before I go back to work on Thursday, If I can't run it in the next couple of days I'm hoping it will sit in the fermenter for another week or racked it off into a container, my next running opportunity won't be until the Oz day four day long weekend.
williewonker

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:04 pm

williewonker wrote:wondering how long it will take to ferment, only got a few days next week before I go back to work on Thursday, If I can't run it in the next couple of days I'm hoping it will sit in the fermenter for another week or racked it off into a container, my next running opportunity won't be until the Oz day four day long weekend.

I left mine for a week after fermenting with no dramas, from memory it took a week to ferment out. EC1118 may be a little slower :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby williewonker » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:17 pm

How much slower is the EC1118 usually, this wash is still bubbling away at a constant rate, and my window to run is closing in :think:
williewonker

Postby williewonker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:50 pm

gravity is at 1010, didn't take a start read :violence-smack: but it tastes nice, like cheap champagne bubbles and all :shifty: just going to leave it till it stops bubbling :-|
williewonker

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:55 pm

It's wash's like this that I think would benefit from a steam heated still,so you could put all the fruit and liquid in the boiler,surely more flavour would come thru in the final product,I have a likeing for proper Italian grappa and all the good stuff I have tried comes from steam heated stills were all the fruit is added to the boiler,anyhooo food for thought.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:26 am

Just checked my Rhubarb and Cherry washes this morning are both below.990, Cherry was with EC1118, Rhubarb with MA33 they had been going since the 15th :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:49 am

Then get em in the still!!! Good stuff Tas :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I think I'm down your way next month, might have to drop in for a sample :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Dig Brinker wrote:Then get em in the still!!! Good stuff Tas :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I think I'm down your way next month, might have to drop in for a sample :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby williewonker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Ran mine this morning ended up with 13 600ml jars or about 6 ltrs ranging from 70% down to 20% from about 25ltrs, the first two and last two will probably end up in a feints run through the reflux. Can definately taste and smell the rhubarb, it's not strong but it is there and sweet.
As an aside my Rhubarb was the green stemmed it doesn't seem to have a strong flavour like the red stuff. Also the first time I've run something through the pot that has come out tasting as I expected :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now what to do with it :think: maybe some french oak.
williewonker

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:53 pm

williewonker wrote:Ran mine this morning ended up with 13 600ml jars or about 6 ltrs ranging from 70% down to 20% from about 25ltrs, the first two and last two will probably end up in a feints run through the reflux. Can definately taste and smell the rhubarb, it's not strong but it is there and sweet.
As an aside my Rhubarb was the green stemmed it doesn't seem to have a strong flavour like the red stuff. Also the first time I've run something through the pot that has come out tasting as I expected :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now what to do with it :think: maybe some french oak.

I would take a much bigger heads cut, just to be on the safe side. With fruit washes I generally keep less than half and I discard the heads due to the methanol. Mine is a mix of green stem and very red stem, will be running it later Ill let you know if I get a difference in taste, the last was all green stem. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby williewonker » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:24 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
williewonker wrote:Ran mine this morning ended up with 13 600ml jars or about 6 ltrs ranging from 70% down to 20% from about 25ltrs, the first two and last two will probably end up in a feints run through the reflux. Can definately taste and smell the rhubarb, it's not strong but it is there and sweet.

I would take a much bigger heads cut, just to be on the safe side. With fruit washes I generally keep less than half and I discard the heads due to the methanol. Mine is a mix of green stem and very red stem, will be running it later Ill let you know if I get a difference in taste, the last was all green stem. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Took a jar of heads off and the first two counted jars will go as well, can smell it in the first ( and there's a wiff in second), it's my first fruit wash (only sixth run with the pot) so yeah trying to pay attention a bit more, airing overnight then figure out what to make of it.
williewonker

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:13 am

Didn't get to the Rhubarb last night, running it now. My first 1 has been on French oak since 10/12/16, its starting to smell real good, just harvested another couple of kgs this morning so the next will be a 60L wash :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby toyoda » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:57 am

Hey Tas,

Do you get Butterscotch Smell and Flavour from your Rhubarb Brandy !

Toyoda
toyoda

equipment: Home construct

Previous

Return to Recipe Development