Polenta?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Polenta?

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:44 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried polenta rather than cracked corn for BWKO or UJSSM type ferments, got a few kgs cheap, am going to put it in a brew bag with some barley, wheat and rye, top up with some sugar. Hopefully a bit more corn flavour will come through :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Re: Polenta?

Postby EziTasting » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Nope, but I've been wondering the same thing!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Blinky » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:27 pm

Sure have! Scored 375kg 3 weeks ago that was going to go in the bin along with 125kg cracked rye.
Been putting down a few mashes a week while the weathers still not to hot........should have seen the look on wifes face when i rocked home with it :laughing-rolling: yea wasnt happy. Gells up faster then cracked corn but verrrrry messy.
Blinky

equipment: 4'' pot and 170L boiler.
6'' 5 plate rig

Postby scythe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:26 am

Are you using a malt or enzyme to liquify the sludge/ convert the starches?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:58 am

scythe wrote:Are you using a malt or enzyme to liquify the sludge/ convert the starches?

I'm just using for flavour, corn mash is in the too hard basket for now. I do have the enzymes though :think:
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:12 am

Yea corn is a pita for sure. Been reading elswhere people having good luck mashing and sparging cracked corn when left as is. Instead of grinding to a flour. You dont extract 100% of the starch. But i think that is what i will try next. Mash sparge ferment off the grain= no squuezing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:34 am

bluc wrote:Yea corn is a pita for sure. Been reading elswhere people having good luck mashing and sparging cracked corn when left as is. Instead of grinding to a flour. You dont extract 100% of the starch. But i think that is what i will try next. Mash sparge ferment off the grain= no squuezing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Still got a bag of cracked corn left might have to try it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Return to Recipe Development