Plum Slilvovitz

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Plum Slilvovitz

Postby Afterlife Brewster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:19 am

Going to make my 2nd batch of plum slilvovitz, have collected just over half a 220lt drums worth.
I will let them ferment (rot) by themselves for bout 3 to 4 weeks b4 getting the paint stirrer and mashing them up (depit and stem at same time) b4 letting them sit for another 4 to 6 weeks, without stirring, just leaving it sit b4 distilling.
Just doing with without adding extra sugar to it, all natural with the wild yeasts.
1st batch turned out pretty good.
Afterlife Brewster

equipment: pot still, building bubble plate

Re: Plum Slilvovitz

Postby bluc » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:11 am

Sounds interesting what sort of yield are you expecting from 200l using the wild yeast?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Afterlife Brewster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:46 am

Ill only get around 120lt of fermented plum after i mash it up, so not sure. Itll b hit and miss, cant measure sugar gravity as its a thick plum mash.
Lasst year i only did probs a 20 litre and yielded bout 2 liters, got it down to 52%. Got 700ml left, thort i would try with aging it
Afterlife Brewster

Postby Kenster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:22 pm

AB, my family have been doing this for some years now and it is all good. Add some extra sugar to increase the alc produced as it is a long process for not that much return. 1 kg sugar gives you aprox 1 lit of 'vitz extra. Also get some PECTINASE, as this will reduce the amount of Methanol typically produced in higher amounts with a pure fruit wash. I realise the 'die hards' do not do it this way, as my old man was the same, but yield and quality will be increased with this slight tweak. The Pectinase breaks down the pectin which can add to excessive 'bad shit'..(ethyl acetate...i think)...
I am about to embark on the same journey in about a month when my plums are ripe.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Kenster wrote:AB, my family have been doing this for some years now and it is all good. Add some extra sugar to increase the alc produced as it is a long process for not that much return. 1 kg sugar gives you aprox 1 lit of 'vitz extra. Also get some PECTINASE, as this will reduce the amount of Methanol typically produced in higher amounts with a pure fruit wash. I realise the 'die hards' do not do it this way, as my old man was the same, but yield and quality will be increased with this slight tweak. The Pectinase breaks down the pectin which can add to excessive 'bad shit'..(ethyl acetate...i think)...
I am about to embark on the same journey in about a month when my plums are ripe.

You might want to check Pectinase info, Ezitasting recently posted a link showing Pectinase actually increases methanol production, maybe the mango brandy thread. I had just bought some for a similar purpose. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Afterlife Brewster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:34 pm

Kenster wrote:AB, my family have been doing this for some years now and it is all good. Add some extra sugar to increase the alc produced as it is a long process for not that much return. 1 kg sugar gives you aprox 1 lit of 'vitz extra. Also get some PECTINASE, as this will reduce the amount of Methanol typically produced in higher amounts with a pure fruit wash. I realise the 'die hards' do not do it this way, as my old man was the same, but yield and quality will be increased with this slight tweak. The Pectinase breaks down the pectin which can add to excessive 'bad shit'..(ethyl acetate...i think)...

:text-thankyoublue: Kenster for ur advice
How much extra and type of sugar should i use for roughly 120lts?
Also never heard if this Pectinase, where can i get this?
Afterlife Brewster

Postby Kenster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Pectinase, google it so you know about what it does, then Ebay.
Sugar, each kg equals around one lit of booze... it is totally up to you...just dont go ballistic. (bit of caution never hurts.)...just plain old white sugar, cheaper the better, Cosco do a 25kg bag for around 20bucks.
I think u said you take the stones out from the plums... a must.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Found it. http://winemakersacademy.com/pectic-enzymes-wine/ Check it out and remember we are concentrating this. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Kenster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Tas, good pickup, Pectinase DOES increase Methanol production. Better off taking off more fores/heads.
Kenster

Postby Afterlife Brewster » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:50 pm

Kenster wrote:Pectinase, google it so you know about what it does, then Ebay.
Sugar, each kg equals around one lit of booze... it is totally up to you...just dont go ballistic. (bit of caution never hurts.)...just plain old white sugar, cheaper the better, Cosco do a 25kg bag for around 20bucks.
I think u said you take the stones out from the plums... a must.

Cheers guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yeah i get the stones out when im giving the plums a stir with the paint stirrer .
Well i think i might add some sugar to the mix. Tho if i lived close to melb i would grab a bag of sugar at that price.
Kenster wrote:Tas, good pickup, Pectinase DOES increase Methanol production. Better off taking off more fores/heads.

Im always grabbing a little extra with the heads/fores just to b safe.
Afterlife Brewster

Postby warramungas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:39 am

Kenster wrote:. 1 kg sugar gives you aprox 1 lit of 'vitz extra.

Remember that's 1 liter at about 40%.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Return to Recipe Development