Combi oven or Sous Vide mashing

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Combi oven or Sous Vide mashing

Postby OzzyChef » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:03 am

Hi guys. I'm a chef and have access to some awesome kitchen equipment such as combi ovens capable of steam/ roast or a mix of both, as well as sous vide machines which are a water bath with recirculating water that maintains a steady temp of whatever you like with only indirect heat.
So the point of this thread is that I'm going to experiment with some all grain mashing in both and see what the results are , hopefully applying the science and experience gained in 15 years of high level fine dining cookery. But before I start, does anyone have any input or experience?

Experiment 1 method will be a Single malt with Golden promise vacuum packed into temp proof plastic sous vide bags with a 1:1 ratio of water/grain and a touch of gypsum. I will cook the bagged grains in the water bath at 63c for around 3 hours then proceed with a standard ferment on Us05 yeast following the sous vide and cooling down process.

Experiment 2 At the same time I will have a tray of grain and water at 1kg to 4l ratio in a tray steaming in the combi oven for 3 hours as well and follow the same us05 ferment.

What do you think?

Point of the experiment is determine if I can mash grains in huge quantity with ease and consistency from batch to batch in order to produce a delicious and consistent product.
Thanks
Oz
OzzyChef

equipment: 2 inch copper pot still and 2" copper offset reflux still
30l turbo boilervand 50l keg boiler under construction

Re: Combi oven or Sous Vide mashing

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:24 am

How big is the Sous Vide water bath .
wynnum1

Postby OzzyChef » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:32 am

I the bath I have it in is 50l Wynnum but I could rig the unit into a 100l bath we have also. We just don't use it that much. I have 2 sous vides units so I could run 1 at opposing ends to create an optimal circulation to.
OzzyChef

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:56 am

19 Litre Corny Keg could that be put in the bath.
wynnum1

Postby OzzyChef » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:07 am

Yeah it couldfitbut what is the material it's made of? As long is the heat can transfer from the water to the internal of the keg via the kegs walls then sure. The good thing about the bags in the bath is that the circulating water ensures even distribution so the positioning of each individual bag is irrelevant in terms of consistent cooking throughout the process
OzzyChef

Postby warramungas » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:00 am

Cant see why it wouldn't work in the placcy bags. Used to do steak like that. Not bad thinking if you've got a big enough bath.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby the Doctor » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:17 am

We use sous vide all the time... mostly for infusion but also to spice rum. We have modified 50 litre vacuum kegs that we attach a bluetooth controlled anova sous vide stick to the side all of which is placed into a 200 liter stock pot. A rum spice infusion can be done in 2 days by cycling the temp up to 60 * C... this process can be sped up even more by adding ultra sonic transducers to the stock pot....the combination of micro vacuum cavitation, vacuum, and temperature cycling is the fastest way to infuse or age that I know of ...and I have tried a few. I will try to post some piccies later.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby bluc » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Ozzy did this ever eventuate.? You still around?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Return to Recipe Development