baileys Recipe guys????

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

baileys Recipe guys????

Postby bassb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi Guys

Anybody got a good recipe for baileys ??? So i don't have to spend money buying HB shop essence.

Cheers
bassb

Re: baileys Recipe guys????

Postby MacStill » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:44 pm

Here's how mine goes.

400ml whiskey (or other)
1 can condensed milk
250ml cream
2 eggs
generous squirt chocolate topping
6 drops vanilla essence

put in blender and blend for about 90 seconds.

Drink :mrgreen:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bassb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks Macstill always a Champion with info. :D
bassb

Postby reknaw » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 pm

That stuff is tasty, had something very similar at Christmas. You wan't see the contestants on the biggest looser drinking it :) Lots of calories but it tastes so good .......
reknaw

Postby vqstatesman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:17 pm

MacStill wrote:Here's how mine goes.

400ml whiskey (or other)
1 can condensed milk
250ml cream
2 eggs
generous squirt chocolate topping
6 drops vanilla essence

put in blender and blend for about 90 seconds.

Drink :mrgreen:

Hi MacStill,

Just wondering how long its shelf(fridge) life would be. Some other recipes I've seen include whole eggs and cream with people quoting a shelf life (refrigerated) up to 1 month. What's your recommendation?

Thanks in advance.
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby Kimbo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 pm

vqstatesman wrote: I've seen include whole eggs and cream with people quoting a shelf life (refrigerated) up to 1 month. What's your recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

It never lasts that long mate :laughing-rolling: , seriously its good stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Brendan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:48 pm

From all reports i've heard...A recipe with eggs in it will only be good for under a week (say 4-5 days). Without egg, they have been known to keep for several weeks.

We have tried quite a few methods to see how long of a shelf life we can get out of a baileys clone...the problem is no matter what dairy product you use, they will not keep outside of the fridge using home methods.

Did a bit of research into the production of Bailey's and how they actually make it stable, and achieve an out of fridge shelf life of several years. It's got to do with heat treatments, as well as homogenisation, where the whisky and cream are passed through high pressure jets to break the molecules down the help better meld the two together. We emulated this by putting the mixture in a decent (and sterile) spray bottle that we could pump the mixture through...definitely helped it mix together better.

But the key for at home is that we can't replicate the out of fridge shelf life...unless anyone has any brilliant ideas? We tried a few experiments with UHT long life dairy products as well as evaporated milk, but they still only last so long once opened...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby blond.chap » Wed May 01, 2013 10:25 am

Yep, keep it in the fridge and you'll get a few weeks out of it.

I learnt this the hard way, had a bottle sitting on my shelf for a few weeks, one day I heard a loud pop and the cork shot out, then there was that beautiful sulphur aroma, yum.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby vqstatesman » Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 pm

Keeping it in the fridge makes sense for sure. I just wasn't sure how long it would last. Thanks guys.
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby googe » Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Take it to the nearest milk/cheese factory and get it homogenized, will slow down the cream separation to leading to a more stable product. Usually stable products last longer don't they?.
googe

Postby Brendan » Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 pm

googe wrote:Take it to the nearest milk/cheese factory and get it homogenized, will slow down the cream separation to leading to a more stable product. Usually stable products last longer don't they?.

Yep, we pumped it through a sprayer bottle as our make shift "homogeniser" and it smelled fine for a few weeks on the shelf (egg-free, just UHT dairy and evporated milk). There's a few boiling methods which are supposed to help s well...took about 4 weeks before that off milk smell developed...I would have comfortably drunk it up to about the 2 week mark :handgestures-thumbupleft:

While the whisky and dairy aren;t separated, it seems to preserve the dairy well at room temp...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Return to Recipe Development