Cucumber Gin

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Cucumber Gin

Postby Redux » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Heres a recipe a mate gave me, he calls it

Purple Haze Gin

he says...

What's great about this recipe is it takes less then two weeks including the time it takes to make the neutral and I've have regular gin drinkers that rated it on par if not better than Hendricks.

Ingredients:

800ml neutral at 44% ABV (Tomato Paste Wash is what I used, aggressive cuts - only hearts)
2 Tbsp juniper berries
1 green cardamom pods
2 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf, torn into pieces
1 (2-inch) sprig fresh rosemary
1 (2-inch-long) piece lemon zest (try not to get any of the pith)
1 (1-inch) sprig fresh lavender
1 teaspoon rose water (food grade)
Half a Cucumber
[Optional] 1/4 cup (35 g) frozen blueberries
[Optional] 1/4 cup (60 ml) water

The lavender and rosemary came from the garden, the rose water I bought on eBay (but confirm it's food grade as a lot of the stuff on there is for perfumes the food grade stuff gets used in turkish delight I think).

Recipe:

Infuse juniper in the neutral for about eight hours.
Add remaining spices, herbs, and rose water, and let infuse for about eight hours, then strain the botanicals.
Slice the cucumber into long sticks, place in a large mouthed jar and add gin. Place the jar in a cool, dark place and allow to infuse for 2 days.
Once you’ve reached the desired flavor, strain the gin and pour into a clean bottle.

[Optional] This last step is optional but gives it a great colour (see below) and lends to it's namesake:

Add the blueberries and water to a small saucepan over medium heat.
Bring to a boil, then give the berries a good mash; turn the heat down slightly and simmer (uncovered) 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and steep 5 minutes.
Strain the berries, reserving the liquid.
Cool the liquid completely before using.

gin1.jpg

anyway im drinking it now and its delicious!!

:dance:

have a go and let me know what you think.

:romance-kisscheek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Re: Cucumber Gin

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Mate, I've been after something like this to make a gin type drink with macerating :handgestures-thumbupleft: cheers
Does it have a pronounced cucumber flavour? Not a fan myself, but thinking could I leave it out or substitute for something else?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Redux » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Mate, I've been after something like this to make a gin type drink with macerating :handgestures-thumbupleft: cheers
Does it have a pronounced cucumber flavour? Not a fan myself, but thinking could I leave it out or substitute for something else?

it works without the cucumber... but it does give a subtle flavour, not a huge cucumber hit... i peeled the cucumber then sliced it into 8 strips and deseeded.
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Petulance » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks for that, mate. I've been looking for something that SWMBO will like. She doesn't think too much of my hobby, so if I can find something she likes, life might be a little less stressful. As if! I'm going to try this asap. I'll let you know what I think (actually.. what she thinks)
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Return to Recipe Development