Simple Gin Recipe

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Simple Gin Recipe

Postby Lowie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Here's a recipe I found on the interweb. I've used it a few times and found 2 litres of 60% abv gets me about 1.5 litres of 40% when I've run I think through my pot still modified reflux still. I've also reused the ingredients for a second go round and doesn't seem to dilute the taste. Makes a nice Gin :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Re: Simple Gin Recipe

Postby Kenster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Lowie, i am a bit confused...in a nice way. The recipe suggests that you stick the ingredients into the 40%, let it sit and THEN you have the gin. Do you re distill the 60% in the pot, with the botanicals, to achieve the gin... if so, it seems un necessary. I have not attempted gin but have seen the recipe and thought you just steep the flavour in...Pls enlighten.Genuine query, not trying to be smug..thx
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Redux » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:19 pm

does coriander seed taste like leaf?

if not id be keen to try this recipe... im just getting into Gins via maceration so am looking for a few recipes to try.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Kenster... just macerating gives a nice learners method to make gin... no re-distilling required.ill look into distilling gins a bit further down the track once i get more inspired..
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Give it a whirl, the seed taste heaps better than the leaf IMHO, something to do with taste receptors, you either love it or hate it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Redux » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:09 pm

TasSpirits wrote:Give it a whirl, the seed taste heaps better than the leaf IMHO, something to do with taste receptors, you either love it or hate it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

the leaf tastes and smells like burning plastic... i cant even walk past it in the market without feeling woosy!!

:puke-huge:
Redux

set up in a wee shed....

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Redux wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:Give it a whirl, the seed taste heaps better than the leaf IMHO, something to do with taste receptors, you either love it or hate it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

the leaf tastes and smells like burning plastic... i cant even walk past it in the market without feeling woosy!!

Most people that don't like it say soapy, we are all different, give the seeds a go, nothing like the leaf. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 pm

I use coriander seeds on my biltong and love them, can't stand the leaf on anything though, if I go somewhere and they add coriander leaf to the dish it tastes horrible to me.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Lowie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Kenster wrote:Lowie, i am a bit confused...in a nice way. The recipe suggests that you stick the ingredients into the 40%, let it sit and THEN you have the gin. Do you re distill the 60% in the pot, with the botanicals, to achieve the gin... if so, it seems un necessary. I have not attempted gin but have seen the recipe and thought you just steep the flavour in...Pls enlighten.Genuine query, not trying to be smug..thx

Hey mate,
Recipe says 40% and drink like that when it's finished, but that's means you get a brown coloured Gin. That's not good is it!
So, I used 60%, filtered out the botanicals (just used some paper towel in a funnel) and run the filtered spirit through the still. Watered the still down to 30% to be safe :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Re the other query, the coriander tastes good, nothing like leaf.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Kenster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Lowie, thanks man, i get it now, the colour thing...forgot that steeping suck colours out... would look like a pox gin...
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby warramungas » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:39 am

Redux wrote:

I didn't like coriander leaf either at first. In fact I couldn't stand it. My long suffering wife comes from a Thai family so they love it and its in a lot of their dishes. Now I love it.
Suppose its an acquired taste but once its acquired its awesome.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Redux » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 am

ive got all ingredients except dry lemongrass and liquorice root... where do you folks get them from?
not in woolies or coles... not on aussiespices website either..
:confusion-scratchheadyellow:
Redux

set up in a wee shed....

Postby Professor Green » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Try Austral Herbs mate. They've got a great range of organic certified herbs. There is a $50 minimum order though.

Cheers,
Professor Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:47 pm

Few eBay dealers too. If you guys reckon this Gin is simple (strip, spirit run, macerate, redistill, cut) wait until you try a proper vapour infused Gin. As per the Great Gin recipe below. A botanical basket is a piece of piss to make, give it a go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Lowie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:15 am

Redux wrote:ive got all ingredients except dry lemongrass and liquorice root... where do you folks get them from?
not in woolies or coles... not on aussiespices website either..
:confusion-scratchheadyellow:

I bought my stuff from the city markets In Adelaide. There's a mob on the interweb that sells all this stuff to. I'll have a look for their details for you.
Lowie

Postby Lowie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:15 am

Dig Brinker wrote:Few eBay dealers too. If you guys reckon this Gin is simple (strip, spirit run, macerate, redistill, cut) wait until you try a proper vapour infused Gin. As per the Great Gin recipe below. A botanical basket is a piece of piss to make, give it a go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Building one now mate :D
Lowie

Return to Recipe Development