Dogwood brandy??

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Dogwood brandy??

Postby Fishleg » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:33 pm

Hey all,

Has anyone ever made a brandy/raki from the fruit of a dogwood tree?
I was just around at my mums house she has a dogwood tree that is fruiting ATM, my son picked one and we tried it. They have a subtle flavour, but quite nice and sweet.

Did a google search and there is a few different dogwood wines and brandies

So I'm going to wait a week or two for the fruit to ripen a bit and give it a crack
If anyone else has tried this and has any tips. Please let me know.

Otherwise I'll let yas know how it turns out
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Re: Dogwood brandy??

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:27 am

Never heard of a dogwood tree, give it a go and let us know :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Make a bigger fores cut with fruit washes than sugerheads, if you didn't know already
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:30 am

Had to google it. Looks like "cornus" is made into wine in parts of Europe so I reckon you should be able to distill it.

Might have to be a sugar head though :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby copperhead road » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:11 am

I had to do a google search also as I had never heard of such fruit, reminds me of dragon fruit you see a lot in Bali.
Very interesting and cool to think outside the box. Keep us up to speed on the results and flavour profile created :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Fishleg » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:56 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Never heard of a dogwood tree, give it a go and let us know :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Make a bigger fores cut with fruit washes than sugerheads, if you didn't know already

Yeah I think I'll have to add some sugar the fruit has a nice taste but not overly sweet.
I'll probs try 2/1 fruit/sugar
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Return to Recipe Development