Dunder rum

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Dunder rum

Postby Fishleg » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:44 pm

I have done a few washes now just using dunder. Here is recipe

20 litres rum dunder
6kg white sugar
1 tbsp tomato paste
80 grams lowans bakers yeast

Started doing it coz I'm producing more dunder than I'm recycling (probably same as everyone else) and didn't want to pour it down the drain.
Goes pretty good. Little bit lighter than macrum but still has lot of molasses flavour and depth

Has anyone else tried this type of thing?
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Re: Dunder rum

Postby Plumby » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:52 pm

How long does it take to ferment? I know the tomato paste is there for nutrients but it must be very acidic being all dunder. I know in my ujsm ferments after 4-5 gens @ 25% dunder it slows right down to a near stalled ferment stage. I got around this by doing every 4th gen as a no dunder gen.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Fishleg » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Not much difference to a fresh wash maybe a day or two longer, I've only done it with once recycled dunder, so 2nd generation. ( not really 2nd gen coz I start with fresh yeast but you know what I mean)
Fishleg

Postby YarraRanges » Fri May 25, 2018 1:55 pm

10% of my next rum wash is dunder from my previous stripping runs. I keep 4 x 20 litre cubies to hold the dunder with the seals removed from the caps. When the dunder is replenished 10% of the old dunder is left in each cubie to reinfect the new dunder.
I didn't like rum until I got to the fifth generation of dunder. I'm now on the 14th generation and the rum improves noticeably at each generation.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby shortcut » Fri May 25, 2018 7:36 pm

That’s excellent Fishleg, I was wondering if we could do that.
Haven’t got around to trying it yet,glad to hear it works ok. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
shortcut

equipment: Keggomax-CM
unfinished copper pot still

Postby Sam. » Fri May 25, 2018 10:50 pm

What’s the yield from this?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby tipsy » Sun May 27, 2018 6:58 pm

I'm guessing you don't keep the dunder from your "dunder rum?"
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Fishleg » Mon May 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Yield is about the same as mac rum. I haven't done it for a long time. as I'm now fermenting rum in a 220l olive drum and just do single gens. I now have a filthy little dunder pit going for adding to my spirit runs. Haven't yet had the guts to use it to infect a whole ferment.
Fishleg

Postby Sam. » Mon May 28, 2018 7:11 pm

You ever checked the PH of it?

I would have thought it would have been that acidic that fermentation would never start :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Plumby » Mon May 28, 2018 7:14 pm

Fishleg wrote:Yield is about the same as mac rum. I haven't done it for a long time. as I'm now fermenting rum in a 220l olive drum and just do single gens. I now have a filthy little dunder pit going for adding to my spirit runs. Haven't yet had the guts to use it to infect a whole ferment.

I also ferment in a olive barrel doing single gens and everyone who has tried the single gen and the 5 gen spirit run results all agree that the single gen spirit run is much smother, drinkable straight out of the bottle alot say.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Fishleg » Mon May 28, 2018 8:30 pm

Only did 4 washes with this recipe. 1 of them did not start, the others were a little slow but got there.
Did not check ph
Fishleg

Postby bluc » Mon May 28, 2018 8:44 pm

Yea I didnt think straight dunder would ferment either noice... I do single gen in olive barrel now as well... all mollasses rum and a dunder pit is on horizon.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Fishleg » Tue May 29, 2018 6:15 am

Mine is just a 20l cube with a rag over the top opening left around the side of the shed.
So far I've just been adding a litre or 2 to spirit runs. I'm a bit apprehensive about adding to a 200l ferment coz it's a lot to lose. Might do a smaller all molasses wash and add some to see how it goes.
Fishleg

Postby warramungas » Tue May 29, 2018 6:34 pm

Might be a nice experiment for rummies. (Spell check keeps trying to change rummies to dummies).
All dunder and if worried about pH add a paint straining bag full of clean shell grit or some other pH modifier.
Double bang for your buck.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby YarraRanges » Wed May 30, 2018 2:14 pm

Fishleg wrote:Haven't yet had the guts to use it to infect a whole ferment.

Don't worry, just put 20 litres of dunder into the olive barrel after you've got it all down to about 30C.
Yeast is a great sanitiser and can cope with quite a lot of bugs.
I've been doing this for 5 years now and haven't had a single ruined rum ferment. The rum just gets better and better.
YarraRanges

Postby Fishleg » Wed May 30, 2018 4:31 pm

YarraRanges wrote:

Don't worry, just put 20 litres of dunder into the olive barrel after you've got it all down to about 30C.
I've been doing this for 5 years now and haven't had a single ruined rum ferment. The rum just gets better and better.

You mean filthy mouldy infected dunder? Or straight out of the boiler after a run? Coz I use fresh stuff all the time too
Fishleg

Postby YarraRanges » Wed May 30, 2018 4:54 pm

I use old dunder. I put it into a 4 x 20 litre cubies with the seal in the lid removed. For the first generation I put them into my fire refuge with the lids off for 2 weeks and then put the lids on loosely. After the fifth generation I liked the rum. Before that I wasn't a rum drinker.
After the 8th generation it was suggested that the fire refuge was too cool at 16C to get good dunder. I then left the dunder cubies in my tin shed garage.The next generation had a huge improvement!
I always infect the fresh dunder by leaving 10% of the old dunder in each cubie.
We're up to the 14th generation and it is still improving on each generation. Anyone that's tried the rum all say it's the best they've ever had.
YarraRanges

Postby warramungas » Wed May 30, 2018 4:55 pm

YarraRanges wrote:

Not sure yeast is any sort of sanitizer.
I've had ruined washes in barrels that I thought were 'clean enough' to prove it.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby YarraRanges » Wed May 30, 2018 5:21 pm

I was at a vineyard in Swan Hill and the owner said that you can be too careful with wine. He had a 200 litre olive barrel with shiraz juice in it. He had put in EC1118 the day before. He took off his muddy gumboot and put it into the bubbling juice and cleaned the mud off. One week later the ferment was finished and it was a lovely tasting new wine.
The essential part is to have the yeast multiplied up and bubbling before you add the bugs. If the bugs are there from the start then they may over power the yeast.
I have always put the dunder in before aerating the wash with an air pump for one hour and then pitch the yeast. The extra oxygen in the wash gives the yeast a head start. I may be lucky that the dunder hasn't gone bad. It's probably too acidic for bugs to takeover.
YarraRanges

Postby Fishleg » Wed May 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Interesting. I think that's what the method that bluc posted the link to said. Getting the ferment going and then adding the pit dunder after a day or 2.
Fishleg

Next

Return to Recipe Development