Using spent grains from an AG beer mash

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Using spent grains from an AG beer mash

Postby Lowie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm running a Coopers Pale Ale AG on the weekend and was thinking instead of chucking the spent grains in the bin why not try a whisky mash of sorts and kill two birds with one stone! It's about 5kg of grains. Plan is to add 5kg of sugar, some DAP, a crushed multivitamin, and 50-80gms of bakers yeast. The mash will still be quite hot from the sparge out (I'll just sparge for a bit longer and fill the mash tun up as I'll already have 70deg. Water left in the HLT). Has anyone done this before and can offer advice? Is I the worth even doing it considering a lot of the sugars will have been extracted from the grain in the mash process?
Cheers.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Re: Using spent grains from an AG beer mash

Postby Minpac » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:58 pm

Most of the sugarhead whiskeys ferment on the grain for more than one generation. I'd suggest your AG beer may have extracted a lot of flavour, but I'm sure there's some left. Throw it in, and maybe toss a couple hundred grams of a strong adjunct grain.
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby prawnz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:39 pm

lowie I dont have any exp personally brewing beer AG but I do drive a semi removing spent grain from commercial breweries . They use their grain only once then it is discarded simply because all the goodness is gone after that .
I collect it and take it to dairy farms , the cows love it and it still contains some proteins that dairy farmers like .
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Plenty of guys make a 'piggyback' sugarhead using the grains from an AG wash :handgestures-thumbupleft: there's still plenty of flavour left in the grain, just no sugars.

Prawnz, commercial breweries don't really have the option of topping up with some sugar and making whiskey like we do at a hobby level ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby prawnz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Prawnz, commercial breweries don't really have the option of topping up with some sugar and making whiskey like we do at a hobby level ;-)

Yep , wasnt really suggesting anything just offering an observation based on my own experience.
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Lowie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:16 pm

[quote="Zak Griffin"]Plenty of guys make a 'piggyback' sugarhead using the grains from an AG wash :handgestures-thumbupleft: there's still plenty of flavour left in the grain, just no sugars.

What do you reckon about my calculations then Zak?
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:19 pm

For a 30ish litre wash? Pretty good! Shoot for an SG OF 1070 and see how you go.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby azzman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:16 pm

if your worried about flavour dont be greedy, go for 8 or 9% wash. the more you try to get out the more the flavour thins out.

i might go a 1.050 wash for about 9%
azzman

equipment: ;) few bits and bobs

Postby tipsy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 am

I've done a couple of piggyback washes. They are a bit like the UJ of the scotch world.
I do prefer a full all grain Scotch though.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Lowie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:25 am

Cheers, thanks fellas I'll give it a bash. Might go for 4kg sugar as well. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

Return to Recipe Development