How would you guys spirit run a white corn whisky?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

How would you guys spirit run a white corn whisky?

Postby mattcoffs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Hey All.
Firstly forgive me I had no idea where to put this thread...

So I have a bunch of low wines ready to spirit run with the intention of grabbing the hearts as white whisky (please don't use the word moonshine in this thread :)) ), tails will likely go towards the next batch of aged corn whisky I make. It's essentially a UJSSM but a sweet mash, so ditch the second S. And, if it's no good it will all get thrown on oak anyway.

So - the question...
I'm toying in my mind what would be the better way to run this.

I have 2" boka, packed and unpacked sections, and a 2"pot as well - all can be long or short columns.
Usually I'd run a whisky on the quicker side through the pot to bring across flavour, but I'm thinking keeping it as a white, the less smearing the better.

Using a boka in reflux I worry i'll lose too much of the flavour and end up with neutral.
Running the pot really slowly, wondering if i'll carry across enough sweetness.
I'm currently thinking maybe the boka in pot mode, with minimal packing. Column height I'm not too sure on.

So I thought I'd seek some advice from those who've tried it before - as this is my first attempt.

Cheers lads!
:happy-partydance:
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Re: How would you guys spirit run a white corn whisky?

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Pot for max flavour. Small steady stream is what you want. If you have a power controller wind the power down till the stream is broken/dripping. Then up the power to a steady stream. Amd as always do cuts. I find new whiskey to be just as sweet as rum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Plumby » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:55 pm

bluc wrote:Pot for max flavour. Small steady stream is what you want. If you have a power controller wind the power down till the stream is broken/dripping. Then up the power to a steady stream. Amd as always do cuts. I find new whiskey to be just as sweet as rum :handgestures-thumbupleft:
:text-+1:
My exact run strategy for my UJSM,
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby mattcoffs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:12 pm

Except it's not for oaking, so smearing seems undesirable to me?
mattcoffs

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Thats where good cuts come in. With a pot you use cuts to get rid of heads tails but there is good flavour right through the hearts..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby copperhead road » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Collect everything in small quantities and you decide what tastes and smells good to you as what you will keep .
Like you aways would have done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:33 pm

The good flavour in whiskey doesn't come from smearing tails through your hearts :-B
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Exactly zac you "cut" before the tails. But the flavour is still there in hearts. With the boka you will lose the bulk of the flavour.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Plumby » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:47 pm

If you collect in 200-300ml jars, you can determine the cut point fairly well. I have had some mates ask for the "white lightning" a few times and I followed my normal cut strategy except I discarded the spirit one more jar in the heads side of the cut and discarded one more jar in the early tails cut.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby mattcoffs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks guys.
I didn't ask for how to make cuts,I'm fully aware of making cuts and choosing cuts - it wasn't really what I asked.
Thanks anyways.
mattcoffs

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:18 pm

Run through the pot imo and if it's too intense you can always double distill :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Plumby » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Well what are you asking? The process is the same for white whiskey as a whiskey you want to oak and age. If I make white lightning ( you didn't want us to use moonshine ) I just make tighter cuts. If you know about and do cuts then you already know what to do.
Plumby

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:26 pm

He's asking for suggestions on run strategies and which still to use in what configuration.
Clearly stated in the original post the way I read it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby mattcoffs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Plumby wrote:Well what are you asking? The process is the same for white whiskey as a whiskey you want to oak and age. If I make white lightning ( you didn't want us to use moonshine ) I just make tighter cuts. If you know about and do cuts then you already know what to do.

I don't want to turn this into an argument or anything like that, but I thought it pretty clearly stated my question was basically hardware and power related. If not I apologise.

But it's pretty common knowledge that the faster you run a pot still the more smearing/hotter the final product will be. But also running a pot slow will bring less flavour over.
I thought maybe someone here could advise that, for example, "Running a pot fast with a tall column will bring flavour but still remain smoothe" or whatever the answer would be.

See, in my mind, running it slow makes more sense for an unaged spirit. Hence asking for others experience.
mattcoffs

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:36 pm

You can still "age" this without oak by letting it breathe well, my thoughts are that if you still let the angels have their share it'll smooth out over time to a degree.
Not as much as on oak, and it won't develop but it should still mellow to some degree.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:45 pm

I let white dog air for a week, water it down to 45% then leave for a few more days, then bottle. Mine has been run through a bubbler, I would go the tall column and run slow. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby mattcoffs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I let white dog air for a week, water it down to 45% then leave for a few more days, then bottle. Mine has been run through a bubbler, I would go the tall column and run slow. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks man! New territory for me!
mattcoffs

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:11 pm

A fast strip and slow spirit run in a taller pot with airing will produce something closer to ready to drink in my opinion. Iv only tasted 1drink that I liked straight off still, everthing else needs airing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doesn't mean I didn't try it all tho 8-}
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby bluc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:11 pm

:think: I thought there was a comment about smearing. Between a boka and a pot. For a flavoured spirit, in this case white whiskey. A pot with good cuts will smash a boka.. :D
bluc
Site Donor

Postby copperhead road » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:58 pm

:text-+1:
bluc wrote::think: I thought there was a comment about smearing. Between a boka and a pot. For a flavoured spirit, in this case white whiskey. A pot with good cuts will smash a boka.. :D
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Next

Return to Recipe Development