Woolworths apple juice ferment - aiming for German Shnapps

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Woolworths apple juice ferment - aiming for German Shnapps

Postby Bosvelk » Sun May 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Couldn't find a direct recipe for this so this is what i have done
60 L fermenter
56L Woolworths brand apple juice 99% fruit juice - no preservatives or added sugars
3.6kg white sugar to bump abv to 10-11%
2-3 tea spoons DAP (could use tomato paste but I was at the brew shop)
3 - 5g packets of lalvin ec-1118 (re hydrated as instructions say)

Currents bubbling away hard :)

Plan is to run it over 4 plates (maybe 3 advice??) end up with the German style shnapps

Any thoughts?
Bosvelk

equipment: Pot still

Re: Woolworths apple juice ferment - aiming for German Shnap

Postby hillzabilly » Sun May 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Was going ta try something similar using ,apple cider kits with the apple juice concentrate from the home brew shop,I would try using little or no sugar as it's only going ta dilute ya flavour,and a run very slowly thru ya pot with the first batch then try one with plates to compare results with,some of these things rely on the type of apple or fruit being used,thats why I thought the concentrate may be better as its more likely going ta be the right type of apples used.Did some pears we got cheap like this and the result was very small and lacked good flavour ,and after some research found the type of fruit can have a big impact on the result,and one german bloke I used ta work with explained the still he used in his willage was steam heated as they distilled the mash with the fruit too get maximum flavour,wich is something that is tradditinal for grappa as well.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby bluc » Sun May 21, 2017 6:42 pm

I was thinking of trying this very thing this winter let us know how you go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Bosvelk » Sun May 21, 2017 7:05 pm

I thought 3.6 kg sugar was not much for 60L haha considering the amount you use doing a tpw or a rum wash haha
I've never done home brew beer so wouldn't really know where to start with the homebrew kits with out doing some reading first.

I've been to Germany a few years back and that's what got me interested in stilling and shnapps, his was done from all fruit mashs but seeing as stone fruit season is gone I thought I'd try somthing during winter and oh boy does my little brew shed smell amazing :)
Bosvelk

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun May 21, 2017 7:25 pm

I do it every year with fruit. With apples I core them and rest goes in fermenter and then all into boiler when finished, makes a very nice drink in a year or so :handgestures-thumbupleft: haven't tried just juice, let us know if the flavours make it up the column?
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Bosvelk » Sun May 21, 2017 9:20 pm

That's what I'm worried about
Not sure how many plates to run :/ (may have got my bubbler parts on Friday) :) :) :)
Bosvelk

Postby Bosvelk » Mon May 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:I do it every year with fruit. With apples I core them and rest goes in fermenter and then all into boiler when finished, makes a very nice drink in a year or so :handgestures-thumbupleft: haven't tried just juice, let us know if the flavours make it up the column?

Do you run yours with 3 or 4 plates?
Bosvelk

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue May 23, 2017 5:31 am

4 plates. I have some that is over a yr old now, will compare it to what I made on the old pot :-B
Wobblyboot

Postby wynnum1 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:31 am

Is there anywhere that the concentrate can be purchased if you had concentrate could water down to required gravity and not have to add sugar.
wynnum1

Postby hillzabilly » Tue May 23, 2017 11:43 am

wynnum1 wrote:Is there anywhere that the concentrate can be purchased if you had concentrate could water down to required gravity and not have to add sugar.

Have a look in a HBS they useually have it around the beer malt tins ,is used for apple cider and may come with yeast as well that suits the flavour profile ya lookin for,I was going ta try a few myself one day.Have a snoop at https://www.ibrew.com.au/collections/cider cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Bosvelk » Tue May 23, 2017 11:59 am

Would be more expensive todo it that way mind you, any way I will let you all know how it turns out
Bosvelk

Postby wynnum1 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:17 am

hillzabilly wrote:
wynnum1 wrote:Is there anywhere that the concentrate can be purchased if you had concentrate could water down to required gravity and not have to add sugar.

Have a look in a HBS they useually have it around the beer malt tins ,is used for apple cider and may come with yeast as well that suits the flavour profile ya lookin for,I was going ta try a few myself one day.Have a snoop at https://www.ibrew.com.au/collections/cider cheers hillzabilly ;-)

The super markets are selling cheap tined fruit from South Africa would think 200 liter drums of apple concentrate would also be available packaging would be a big cost with the apple juice fast food must be buying in bulk .
wynnum1

Postby Bosvelk » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Ran it on Monday, ended up with 2.4L hearts at 92%
The flavour has carried over Nicely :)
Will let it is a few days then water some down to 40% for a clear schnapps and then some on French oak also some to get diluted down with appl juice to 35% to make a liquor
Bosvelk

Postby copperhead road » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:00 am

Bosvelk wrote:Ran it on Monday, ended up with 2.4L hearts at 92%
The flavour has carried over Nicely :)
Will let it is a few days then water some down to 40% for a clear schnapps and then some on French oak also some to get diluted down with appl juice to 35% to make a liquor

Is that an average yield from a 60 litre wash?
For some reason I was thinking you would get more, maybe from all the reading I have done they must have been talking about a 60 litre spirit run not a 60 litre wash.

Anyways cool easy way to make a apple brandy by the sounds of it, well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby bluc » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:56 am

Yep thats about right. Would be a long day with a 60l spirit run :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Kenster » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Wobbly, i have a heap of apples but was reluctant to try as i was afraid the flav carry over would be only slight and not worth the exercise. Do you get a distinct apple flav? How many kg of fruit would u use.( have used plums and the flav is 'just')
Do you think/know whether the apple skins impart flav as i have a little machine which cores/slices and peels them...maybe i just collect the peels?
Hillzz... Pears??? any reasonable result with decent flavour carry over? Tail end of fruit season...busy, busy.
Sorry, this is a bit off topic re. this post.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:59 pm

Kenster wrote:Wobbly, i have a heap of apples but was reluctant to try as i was afraid the flav carry over would be only slight and not worth the exercise. Do you get a distinct apple flav? How many kg of fruit would u use.( have used plums and the flav is 'just')
Do you think/know whether the apple skins impart flav as i have a little machine which cores/slices and peels them...maybe i just collect the peels?
Hillzz... Pears??? any reasonable result with decent flavour carry over? Tail end of fruit season...busy, busy.
Sorry, this is a bit off topic re. this post.

I havnt tried just the juice. I did some other day, cored 25kg of apples and put them in a 60l fermenter with 2kg of sugar, the same as I do every year. I havnt tried any1 else's so hard to compare :think: but If I gave u the demijohn to sniff that they in, u will recognise what it is straight away if that helps, same with the mango. Iv tested that on mates.
Wobblyboot

Postby bluc » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Hey bozzy wich juice did you use? Did you grab a couple boxs or a few bottles at a time?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Bosvelk » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:37 pm

30 x 2L woolies brand apple juice the 99% fruit juice one
Did 3 trips over 3 days and 2 different stores haha drive past 2 on the way home from work
Just told them it was for work do if they asked haha
Bosvelk

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:17 am

Lol yea was thinking i will tell them am making apple cider i reakon. See if i can get them all at once in boxs..
bluc
Site Donor

Next

Return to Recipe Development