Woolworths apple juice ferment - aiming for German Shnapps

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Woolworths apple juice ferment - aiming for German Shnap

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:45 pm

My parents were (are) from Germany and he used to make Schnapps, but he would peel some of the apes and put the peel back in with each bottle to emphasise the apple aroma.

As a young fellow I kept pinching it and taking it to parties ... didn't realise it was at near 80% while maturing... used to burn like fire going down! Funny thing (once you get past the huge risk of alcohol poisoning) was how it made all the "tough" guys cry and throw up once they took a swig...

Glad I know better now!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby bluc » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
Kenster wrote:Wobbly, i have a heap of apples but was reluctant to try as i was afraid the flav carry over would be only slight and not worth the exercise. Do you get a distinct apple flav? How many kg of fruit would u use.( have used plums and the flav is 'just')
Do you think/know whether the apple skins impart flav as i have a little machine which cores/slices and peels them...maybe i just collect the peels?
Hillzz... Pears??? any reasonable result with decent flavour carry over? Tail end of fruit season...busy, busy.
Sorry, this is a bit off topic re. this post.

I havnt tried just the juice. I did some other day, cored 25kg of apples and put them in a 60l fermenter with 2kg of sugar, the same as I do every year. I havnt tried any1 else's so hard to compare :think: but If I gave u the demijohn to sniff that they in, u will recognise what it is straight away if that helps, same with the mango. Iv tested that on mates.
do you ever cook the apple or add cinnamon to the ferment?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby bluc » Sat May 02, 2020 11:54 am

Finally got round to apple did 28l coles apple juice and juicef 18kg granny smiths.sg 1.044. Shed smells like green apples yum fermenting now :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby gap » Sat May 02, 2020 3:02 pm

I have just finished making apple brandy by pot stilling Woollies cheap apple juice. Sitting on some oak dominoes at the moment
gap

equipment: nothing at the moment. want to purchase or make a pot still

Postby RC Al » Sat May 02, 2020 3:37 pm

I did this with just aldi apple juice ages ago made half into cider an half into brandy

Was orrible stuff initially, but 18 months sitting in a bottle has made a surprising difference, im not a brandy fan at all, but it is very drinkable now
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bluc » Sat May 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Just mixed my cuts did 28l coles brand juice and juiced 18kg granny smith. Got 1l at 86%. On its own has very faint hint cider type flavour with hint anise. With coke however just tastes.like apple pie moonshine. Strong apple flavour. Guess it just needed a bit of sweetness :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Previous

Return to Recipe Development