Peated malt whisky

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Peated malt whisky

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi guys,
With our first run under our belts it's time to get down to business. My mate and I both like Islay whisky so are headed down the heavily leaders malt line. Has anyone done a 100% peated malt grain bill? I just read the details of the Bairds and it says in bold capitals use sparingly! I'm I wrong in thinking that the islay distilleries dry all of their malt with peat smoke? Something like 45ppm. Whereas theirs is 38ppm. Then I notice the BIAB thread people are using different percentages.

I'm looking for advice, if we do a 100% peated grain bill and it's too strong, it could always be blended with say our NGW or a later unpeated (I think I just invented a word there) wash?

Look forward to your advice

Sláinte
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Re: Peated malt whisky

Postby orcy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:07 pm

We did a whisky with 100% gladfields smoked malt. Single run through an alambic pot carried a nice smoke and bacon like flavour straight from the still. I never got to try and age it for various reasons, but i seemed like it would have been nice. Will definitely be trying again now that ive got a better pot still.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Interesting... Anyone else done it?

Also, am I right about blending it with unpeated? Will that bring it back if it is too strong with the smokey flavours?
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Yep thats the idea. More peat more peat flavour less peat less peat flavour..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:08 pm

One more question, yeast...

Safale US-05 seems to be popular for whisky, is it worth it, or is lowans just as good? I have even read a thread where both yeasts are added.

Penny for your thoughts?
ThePaterPiper

Postby orcy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Ec1118 is pretty popular too. Use whatever you can get your hands on. Or can afford.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:20 pm

No experience but the all grain fellas on here reakon safspirit malt is the go..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Wholly crap! See the price of that safspirit? Even the 100g pack. :scared-eek:
ThePaterPiper

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Yea tad more than bakers :whistle:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Have done 100% medium peat malt but apparently they dont make medium any more for hobby level, they just say use less of the heavy peat.

Done with safspirit malt yeast, aged on dominoes in demis for almost 2 years and yes it is damn good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If your a full islay bloke though I would suggest going full heavy peated, I can't stand the shit myself as it's way too peaty but yeah if you want that flavour go hard or go home :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 pm

Sounds like the plan. What's the worst that can happen? We blend it with something less potent.
ThePaterPiper

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:07 pm

If you enjoy a real islay scotch then I don't think you will ever over do it on this level ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Excellent! Thanks Sam
ThePaterPiper

Postby Dyno » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Go as heavy as you can get with the peated malt. It dies down over time so if yr after a Laphraig type which is rated over 220ppm then get the stinkiest shit you can. Add sheep shit and get the real deal :handgestures-thumbupleft: I do Franks Fine Scotch recipe every quarter ( it's a sugar head with added peated grain steeped ) which calls for 2 kg per 30L of heavy peated malt. Generally use bairds as only one I can get hold of.
Keep in mind the best peated brews are young, ie Octal , 3yrs but one hell of a drink. Good luck with it all. Well worth the effort. Also, splash out on SAF spirit yeast, it's good stuff
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby Sparrow » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:19 pm

I've got heavily peated malt at the moment, haven't got around to using it as I've been making AG beer lately and my stillin mate is busy prepping for his wedding.

Plan on doing one soon but I was going to do 25% peated, some pilsner and some caramunich or something. Aiming for a Springbank type whisky. Do love ardbeg so a full peated whisky would be nice but I reckon adding a small amount of something else for complexity.

Let us know how you go.
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby coffe addict » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 am

Hey bud, with yeast safspirit malt is good us05 is also good, don't use ec1118 or bakers. It's just a waste if your going to all grain not to be getting a good yeast.

If you like Islay styled whiskey then 100% Baird's heavy peated is the go. Use it as soon as you get it as it fades while you're waiting to use it.
When in the barrel it'll also fade so wait until after aging before you blend. Your probably not going to want to blend if you like it smokey.

You'll find most of the peat will be in the early tails but just add them they will age well.
Good luck bud.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:22 pm

coffe addict wrote:Hey bud, with yeast safspirit malt is good us05 is also good, don't use ec1118 or bakers. It's just a waste if your going to all grain not to be getting a good yeast.

If you like Islay styled whiskey then 100% Baird's heavy peated is the go. Use it as soon as you get it as it fades while you're waiting to use it.
When in the barrel it'll also fade so wait until after aging before you blend. Your probably not going to want to blend if you like it smokey.

You'll find most of the peat will be in the early tails but just add them they will age well.
Good luck bud.

Awesome. Thanks Coffe, will definitely go 100% then. As others have said, go hard or go home! :D
ThePaterPiper

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:47 pm

So we have ordered our peated malt from Brewman today. Can't wait for it to arrive and get stuck into our first mash.

Couldn't find any Safspirit locally but no trouble finding safale us-05.

Just wondering wether I should lash out and get some big bottles of spring water for the mash rather than town water. I know it's a big bone of contention, some filter, some don't, and we are leaving most of the water behind too, but what flavours do the additives add? if any?

Still a couple of days to decide... Gen 2 of the NGW to run this weekend too. Can't wait!
ThePaterPiper

Postby orcy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Ive never bothered with water quality for beer. We generally have it pretty good in australia.
orcy

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:35 pm

orcy wrote:Ive never bothered with water quality for beer. We generally have it pretty good in australia.

Have to disagree, the water quality is shite. I only use spring water for AG and I live in Tassie, probably the best water in the country.
If you are going AG at the least, boil your water the day before and get rid of the chlorine, then water it down with good quality bottled water for aging. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Next

Return to Recipe Development