Peated malt whisky

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Peated malt whisky

Postby Georgio » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:15 am

I checked my 100% peated malt yesterday. It is 19monts old on a recycled Jack D barrel stave. Peat comes through nicely, some iodine as well. Tails has all but dissappeared, and been replaced with the iodine taste. Still no where near Ardbeg.

To answer your question....
I would try smoking more ingredients, in the pursuit of authenticity. With smoked malts virtually all the flavours seem to become more pronounced with time on oak. Tails are very important and thus time is required. From memory I kept down to around 72% on my spirit run where normally I would have cut it around 76% abv.

More tails=more smoke=more aging time (to a certain point)
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Postby scythe » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 am

Search peat reek or reak.
Basically liquid peat you can add after distillation if required.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Watched a video on making liquid smoke condensing the smoke off a wood bbq to make a flavouring for bbq sauces. Would condensing the smoke of smouldering peat be a better option then burning then soaking in neutral?

Also does condensing smoke create methanol? I have heard methanol can be mad by distilling wood. not sure if burning it then condensing the smoke is how its distilled to make methanol. Guessing if you burnt it the methanol would be gone :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Westshine » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Georgio wrote:From memory I kept down to around 72% on my spirit run where normally I would have cut it around 76% abv.

Dude, are your talking plates? My spirit runs on pot still can collect down to 35% at times.
Westshine

equipment: 4" x 4 plates, 4" Pot / Whiskey dome - 100ltr boiler

Postby Georgio » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:00 pm

Through a Pot mate. On the spirit run (low wines at 40%) the abv of cuts jars that I included in the final product went as low as 72% abv. I found once the abv dropped below this no amount of time on oak would make it drinkable. After this 72% you could absolutely keep running down to 20% if you want but you certainly wouldnt drink it, it would be best kept to add back to a fients run or add back to your next spirit run.

I wouldnt run a peated malt through my bubbler, it would strip too much flavour.
Last edited by Georgio on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Georgio

equipment: 50l keg boiler.
4" FSD Pot Still
4" FSD Bubbler
95L mash tun with 300 micron grain basket
250kg Winch for grain basket

Postby Westshine » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:06 pm

I finally finished running the spirit run on the 100% heavy peated malt. Absolutely agree with not watering it down, if your into heavy malt whiskey it can't be peaty enough.
Westshine

equipment: 4" x 4 plates, 4" Pot / Whiskey dome - 100ltr boiler

Postby coffe addict » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:03 pm

I also pot still peated whisky.
With care, cool temp mashes, good yeast selection and slow running as I'm approaching tails, I've been able to get the tails acceptable down to around 55% which caries over more flavour and peat.
Tails are quite pronounced for the first yr to 18months and by 2 yrs have mellowed considerably.
With the expense of peated grain I've built a pressurised smoke canister that bubbles the smoke through the low wines/wash @30% and using imported peat from the UK it's a huge step up from Harry's peat reek and many can't pick that it's not been made with peated grain.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Previous

Return to Recipe Development