Carter head recipes

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Carter head recipes

Postby scythe » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 am

#10 looks a bland compared to the rest.

Also dont discount "blonde chap's" great gin recipe on the forum.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby dogbreath vodka » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:36 am

nuddy wrote:
wiifm wrote:
10 BASIC GIN RECIPES 2.pdf

Thanks to dogbreath vodka for this. He and I have tried half the recipes in a carter head. We kept the botanicals in the same proportions as the recipe and used them in his carter head.

Number 5 was particularly good.

I noticed in the PDF that it states the quantities in g/l measures. Is this per L of 95% neutral used?

The way we ran it was.
40% in the boiler passing through 3 plates
Not enough headroom under the house for more + the carterhead.

Filled the botanical basket with the proportions listed.

Run slow and it was coming off at low 90's.
When the botanicals started to get weaker, change basket.

Because I use an 80ltr boiler we can do several different recipes with the one boiler charge.

As Wiifm said no 5 was the stand out of the 6 we ran.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Atreu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Wiifm and DbV, thanks heaps for that! :handgestures-thumbupleft: for my first run, I'm going to do blonde.chaps gin recipe, and then, I'll go through your list one by one (starting at #5 I think, lol). Fish, will do - I'll post the details so I remember for next time, lol :))

I'm going to keep the botanicals in the basket for 25 minutes, as doc was saying that's how to get more of a modern style gin, and Mac was saying that his 3" carter head is best run as a pot still, so I'll run the CH in "pot mode" - ie, strip enough washes to do a 40% spirit run on 5 plates and a packed section (geez, wish I had the room to use the inline thumper as well as the 5 plates and packed section!), then water it down to 40% again for a third distill through the CH

DbV, when you say run slow, how slow are you talking? (I run my 4" at 2 l/hr) is 1.5 l/hr slow enough?
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

5SD carter head coming soon!!

Postby Atreu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:21 pm

nuddy wrote:
wiifm wrote:

Thanks to dogbreath vodka for this. He and I have tried half the recipes in a carter head. We kept the botanicals in the same proportions as the recipe and used them in his carter head.

I noticed in the PDF that it states the quantities in g/l measures. Is this per L of 95% neutral used?

Nuddy, I'm wondering the same thing. :think:
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

5SD carter head coming soon!!

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Atreu wrote:Wiifm and DbV, thanks heaps for that! :handgestures-thumbupleft: for my first run, I'm going to do blonde.chaps gin recipe, and then, I'll go through your list one by one (starting at #5 I think, lol). Fish, will do - I'll post the details so I remember for next time, lol :))

I'm going to keep the botanicals in the basket for 25 minutes,
you're better off checking during the run to taste the change in the botanicals.
All stills run differently.

as doc was saying that's how to get more of a modern style gin, and Mac was saying that his 3" carter head is best run as a pot still, so I'll run the CH in "pot mode" - ie, strip enough washes to do a 40% spirit run on 5 plates and a packed section (geez, wish I had the room to use the inline thumper as well as the 5 plates and packed section!), then water it down to 40% again for a third distill through the CH

DbV, when you say run slow, how slow are you talking? (I run my 4" at 2 l/hr) is 1.5 l/hr slow enough?
That should work.
But once again you should experiment and run your still according to what works best for you

After a few runs you will work out what is best for your setup.
All of the above is a guide and was worked out over time running my still.
I haven't run a 4" in a long time.
The way I said I run mine was for steampunk 2 a 6" reflux with 3 plates and a charge of 40% neutral.
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby nuddy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:46 pm

Atreu wrote:
nuddy wrote:
wiifm wrote:

Nuddy, I'm wondering the same thing. :think:

It's definitely something that will be a learned experience once running and enjoying/sneaking a few distillers privileges through out the run to see how its playing out.

Looking at what your planned take off rate is 1.5- 2 l/hr. I thinking working off the recipe quantities on a per L 95% basis will be pretty much ballpark to....
Atreu wrote:
I'm going to keep the botanicals in the basket for 25 minutes, as doc was saying that's how to get more of a modern style gin,

Keep us informed of how it goes. :text-+1:
nuddy

equipment: 2" bokabob
4" blockhead bubbler build in progress

Postby wiifm » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:52 am

I would be working on what fills a basket for quantities, say using 40g juniper berries then everything else in proportion to the recipe.

This will give you the opportunity to test several of the recipes in one run. if you dip your finger under the spout, you can detect what botanicals are working with a sniff and lick.

You will know when the basket is done because there will be virtually only neutral smells n flavours. When the basket is done, reduce power slightly, full reflux, then pull the basket and swap botanicals, increase heat and reduce reflux when the next basket is in :handgestures-thumbupleft:
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Postby r1zzla » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Atreu - did you (or any Carter Head driver) ever find any Carter Head recipes - other than Gin ?

I've been trying various 'conversions' (Spiced Rum, Coffee, Lemon etc) from the Tried and Proven section, but none seem as good as the macerated version.
r1zzla

equipment: 80L horizontal keg boiler & FSD 6 plate Neutraliser.
Carter Head with 2 plates
pure distilling reflux.

Previous

Return to Recipe Development