Louching

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Louching

Postby Dyno » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:16 am

Hey fellas, I just did a small batch of Gin , everything went primo. Watered down to 48%, everything nice and clear. Added tonic, kaboom...cloudy. Is there anyway to prevent this? It taste fine, just looks like lemon squash. Was thinking maybe adding more neutral at the same % . Would that solve it? It is pretty heavy on flavour so it probably won’t dilute too much. What’s the general thought on a fix ? Cheers
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Re: Louching

Postby Peregian » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:35 am

Hi Dyno, had a similar problem awhile back, too much citrus I think, the batch was very heavy on the flavors, added extra neutral at the same ABV and turned out fine.

Bit of a bonus adding neutral as you end up with extra gin.
Peregian

equipment: Keg for boiler (element), Pot still head for stripping and a Nixon Stone offset head stainless still for spirit runs.

Postby Dyno » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:39 am

Peregian wrote:Hi Dyno, had a similar problem awhile back, too much citrus I think, the batch was very heavy on the flavors, added extra neutral at the same ABV and turned out fine.

Bit of a bonus adding neutral as you end up with extra gin.

Sweet.. thanks mate. I wasn’t 100% . Freakin nice Gin. Mix of a couple recipes, tastes ace. Just have to do better neutral I think next time. Was all presoked in 94% for a night, watered down with 3L so a 4L batch at 40% . Experiment that turned out well
Dyno

Postby Sugardaddy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Nice work Dyno :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sugardaddy

equipment: Pot still

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:04 pm

Mine will louche when fresh, within a day or two when tonic is added. Doesn’t affect taste or mouthfeel etc. As long as it doesn’t louche when you water it down there is no problem. Therefore no need to dilute with neutral.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby wiifm » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:33 pm

As far as I am concerned, there is no problem with louching at all. If it tastes good at your desired abv with your desired mixer, then that is what is important
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Postby Sugardaddy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:21 pm

wiifm wrote:As far as I am concerned, there is no problem with louching at all. If it tastes good at your desired abv with your desired mixer, then that is what is important

:text-+1:
Sugardaddy

equipment: Pot still

Postby Dyno » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks for the replies. I put it in the fridge over night, let it louch then tripled up on coffee filters an filtered it. Removed 90% of the cloud and doesn’t seem to of affected the taste at all . Happy camper .. :dance: I’m into the fact there’s minimal ageing time with Gin. Sure makes a big difference from doing brown spirit,
Dyno

Return to Recipe Development