Honey Bear Bourbon

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Honey Bear Bourbon

Postby Ripas » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:14 am

I'm going to attempt a Honey Bear Bourbon from another website (can't find any similar recipes here).

The recipe calls for honey malt, red wheat malt and white what malt. I'm having trouble sourcing these particular the honey malt. Any suggestions where I could get this stuff?
Ripas

equipment: 2"boka with 1m stainless section - 50L keg with 2000w element

Re: Honey Bear Bourbon

Postby viking » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm

Honey malt is similar to melanoidin malt with a small bit of a crystal malt character. Id sub 75% Melano light, 25% Caramunich approx. 30L-50L.

try this Ripas
let us know how you go I subbed 3kg in a bourbon recipe out of 25kg grain total. 20kg corn, 3kg Melanoidin and 1kg wheat and 1kg golden promise. This is currently only 2 or so months old - I'll go to the shed and let you how its going. I was thinking a 12 month ageing minimum.
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Postby viking » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Sorry - I checked my notes.

This was a mixed up recipe as I had spare time and spare grain.
12.5 kg corn
3 kg Melanoidin
3 kg Caramel rye
3 kg Golden Promise
1kg wheat
1 kg Special B

its only 1 month old.
There is a residual sweetness that I don't normally get with corn & rye or my 100% rye.
I'll try again in a month.
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Postby Plumby » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:23 am

Have you tried the Coopers beer website, I use to buy speciality malts from them when I was making beer.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Borneogoat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:31 am

We're in the same boat. I've been looking at making some HBB too. Honey Malt is made by Gambrinus and I can't find it anywhere in AUS. I was considering using Gladfield's Toffee Malt. It's not a perfect substitute, but I suspect the results would be tasty. And that's what counts! I've also considered Gladfield's Aurora malt, because it also sounds tasty and is suggested as a sub for melanoidin malt which is a sub for Honey Malt.... If you haven't tried Gladfield's products, they're made in NZ and I use them almost exclusively for my homebrew beer. Great stuff and friendly people. {Note: No connection to Gladfield, just a happy customer]

On the other end of the spectrum, I'd love to get some Honey Malt. Can we import small quantities of malt to AUS? Or is that a no-no, because of bio-security?
Last edited by Borneogoat on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Borneogoat

equipment: 5-Star Neutralizer and a high mileage Heavy Duty Liver

Postby EziTasting » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 am

I'd be interested in finding out "HOW" Honey Malt is made... it's not like you can malt honey, is ti!?!?! :think:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Return to Recipe Development