Black sambucca

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Black sambucca

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Been looking into a recipe for it as I do like a couple shots of it every now and then, I found this and wanted to see if anyone has tried it or has a different way of making it or seen it somewhere else :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Black Sambuca
1 litre alcohol (40%abv)
1 litre (4 cups) of ripe elderberries
1/8 tsp anise essential oil (15 drops or use equivalent pure aniseed extract from Supermarket)
1/8 tsp pure licorice root extract
strip of lemon peel
2 cups of granulated sugar (can be in form of invert syrup)
1 tsp glycerine (for smoothness)
Macerate the elderberries in alcohol until it becomes a characteristic dark color, then add sugar, anise, licorice, lemon peel and macerate for 30 days. Strain.

I just got a kg of dried elderberries in mail today. 3 to 1 fresh v dried? And I’d like to try stevia as sweetener instead :think:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Re: Black sambucca

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:33 am

Mate, thats a lot better than what I've seen so far!

Let us know how it goes, because this stuff is so good! I have run out of neutral, so I'm currently doing my first Kale wash... looking forwards to some smooth florally goodness to start playing with... :dance:

Might have a go at it once the neutral is finished ... and let you know (for once).
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Wobblyboot » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:20 pm

EziTasting wrote: so I'm currently doing my first Kale wash... looking forwards to some smooth florally goodness to start playing with.

I tried tpw and it’s better than turbo crap but leaves an acidic taste. I make my neutral outa teddys ffv if I need it quick or googes kale wash if there no rush, both make quality neutral in my opinion :handgestures-thumbupleft:
So I went with 3 to 1 ratio with dried berries
EA732408-9E6B-46E1-BA18-52D2DE022D04.jpeg

A cup an third with a liter of 40% neutral in both. Will do 1 with sugar and other with stevia. They took colour on instantly.
Was gunna weigh the amounts but battery was flat on scales :doh:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wobblyboot

Postby EziTasting » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Hah and to think my first attempt was dissolving liquorice in neutral ... what a disappointment that was! :))
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Radnelac » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
EziTasting wrote: so I'm currently doing my first Kale wash... looking forwards to some smooth florally goodness to start playing with.

I tried tpw and it’s better than turbo crap but leaves an acidic taste. I make my neutral outa teddys ffv if I need it quick or googes kale wash if there no rush, both make quality neutral in my opinion :handgestures-thumbupleft:
So I went with 3 to 1 ratio with dried berries
EA732408-9E6B-46E1-BA18-52D2DE022D04.jpeg

A cup an third with a liter of 40% neutral in both. Will do 1 with sugar and other with stevia. They took colour on instantly.
Was gunna weigh the amounts but battery was flat on scales :doh:

Curious to know how this actually turned out :think:
Radnelac

equipment: 4" FSD Visualiser + 100L boiler with twin 2400W elements.

Postby The Stig » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:57 pm

I’m thinking the same Me Boot.
Any updates !??????
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:18 pm

It’s up to about batch 10 by now, still a work in progress that I’m not happy with yet :hand:
But I have been trying a white sambuca that I’m fairly happy with so far :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I put all this in grinder
50g aniseed
50g star anise
20g fennel seed
100g dried elderberry
Then added to 2l of my best neutral, let it macerate for a few days then run it thru my gas powered small pot still.
Ran it same as u would make gin :handgestures-thumbupleft: it gets a few floaties when left for while I noticed so I strain it threw a coffee filter before I add sugar. I aim for 42% once sugar is added. The standard amount of sugar for any sambuca is 350 grams per liter. I did some blind tastings outa same batch with the 2nd at half the sugar. The chicks liked the full sugar, the blokes preferred the half sugar.
Haven’t given up on the black but it is a work in progress :think:
Wobblyboot

Return to Recipe Development