Indium Gold (Indian Rum)

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Indium Gold (Indian Rum)

Postby Chris7231 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Hey guys,
Just thought I'd share an interesting recipe I made up that turned REALLY friggin' good!

At your local Indian supermarket, they will sell 'Jaggery', which is a dried molasses product...
This, with 'Tamarind" (also from the Indian supermarket) is what started this experiment. :-B

Get all of these ingredients (for 120L wash):
10kg Brown Sugar
10kg Jaggery
6kg Tamarind
4kg Dark Brown Sugar

Boil until everything dissolved.

This results in a pH of around 2.5, so also used nearly a kilo of Potassium Bicarbonate to bring it back up to about 5.5-6 pH.

Also used an over-abundance of pectinase to chew up anything it can before pitching the SN9 yeast & ample DAP.

It's one of the most active ferments I've ever seen, & stinks like a sewer... and worse, tastes like an ashtray after spirit runs.

BUT!

Let it age on NEW heavy charred, toasted, American oak @ 50g per litre for 30 days - And everything changes, trust me!

Next run I'm going to try out adding sterilised dunder, say, 10L per 100L wash?
Oh and using Mangrove Jack’s M05 Mead yeast - as this is advertised as a ‘high ester producing yeast’.

I'd also recommend NOT using any sodium carbonate or bicarbonate for adjusting the pH, there's enough salt in the wash from the tamarind - you don't need to add more - use potassium bicarbonate. (just be careful - it explodes when you add it to the mash - start with adding 1/2 a teaspoon at a time & stirring well before adding larger volumes)

Let me know if anyone tries it, I'm keen to know how you guys rate it. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris7231

equipment: Still Spirits reflux & alembic setups.

Re: Indium Gold (Indian Rum)

Postby bluc » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Interesting were do you get potassim bicarbonate? Have been interested in jaggery for quite some time. Just have not got round to it..is this a "spiced" rum? What flavour does tarmarind add?
Last edited by bluc on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Re: Indium Gold (Indian Rum)

Postby Chris7231 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:50 pm

bluc wrote:Interesting were do you get potassim bicarbonate? Have been interested in jaggery for quite some time. Just have not got round to it..

Redox make it, but unless you've got an ABN, they won't talk to you... I get mine from these guys:
http://www.aceohlsson.com.au/contact.php
Chris7231

equipment: Still Spirits reflux & alembic setups.

Return to Recipe Development