Gold Digger Rum

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Gold Digger Rum

Postby M8Harry » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:00 pm

Hi everyone.

So i put my first rum down and its bubbling away slowly after a fast 3 days.

I got a recipe from a guy on a distilling FB group, he gave me the ok to share it.

I have tweaked it to my liking but I wouldn't mind some thoughts and feedback.

Here is My spin on it and I will post the Original underneath.

Gold Digger Rum

3.4kg raw sugar
1.666kg Dark brown sugar
2.5kg Molasses
2.55kg Golden Syrup
5 tbls Lowans Bread Yeast
1/2 tsp Epsom salts
1 tbls D.A.P
10g Yeast Food
10L Dunder (not live dunder, backset from the boiler)
50L Water

I followed this recipe for my generation 1 with the only exception being the dunder, I got 4ish litres from the guru around the corner from his Gen 3 rum. Just something to give my first generation a bit of a push in the flavor department.

Here is the version of the recipe I got

So this is my generational rum recipe I call it Toms Aussie Gold Digger
For this recipe I built it up and made it for 30litres it is my own recipe I use a pot still with thumper I only do spirit runs no stripping so i get full flavours I don’t add any out side essences or flavours to the finished product just what the mash produces fermentation is 7-10 days depending on weather 
2kg Bundaberg raw sugar
1kg Dark brown sugar
1.5kg Molasses
1.5kg Bundaberg Golden Syrup
2.5tbls Lowans Bread Yeast
.5tsp EC1118
1/4 tsp Epsom salts
.5tsp D.A.P
PH I start it 4.8-5.1
SG- 1.115
FG- 1.010
Yeast goes in 26.5*c
Add 10-20% backset back into ferment for next generation I also add 2.5litres of Dunder once it’s about to be distilled I run it down to 55% and after that I shut it down (that’s my way yours may be different and that’s fine everyone is different so make it work for you) but as I said at top this is multi generational after about the 3rd generation it’s really good and its even better by 5th generation I’ve made 6 and couldn’t be happier anyways enjoy the recipe happy distilling
3 Comments
M8Harry

equipment: Pure distilling Reflux Still with a 25L boiler

5 star mk2 visualiser and 50L milk can boiler

Re: Gold Digger Rum

Postby Lowie » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Interesting. Couple of questions...1. Why mix the yeasts particularly given that ec118 is a wine yeast? 2. Why throw the dunder in late given that its usually thrown in first to increase flavour? Cheers.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby M8Harry » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:15 am

Lowie wrote:Interesting. Couple of questions...1. Why mix the yeasts particularly given that ec118 is a wine yeast? 2. Why throw the dunder in late given that its usually thrown in first to increase flavour? Cheers.

As for the yeast no idea, thats why im doing some research into it.

No comment as for the dunder, the original owner of the recipe put that in there.

I posted the original recipe in its entirety so the forum could see what ive done to it as a reference.
M8Harry

Postby RC Al » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:01 pm

Possibly the dunder is added later as not to drop the PH as hard initially, the yeasties would definitely have a better time of it. After the wash has fermented most of the way out, it would be not as far off the dunder ph wise and adding it then would not be as dramatic.

However many people use the dunder to melt down the sugar for the next gen, so you would be boiling some extra water to do the wash - blah
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby scythe » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:27 pm

Would dunder flavour the end product the same if you put it in at the end or the start :think: :think:
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:14 am

Think from memory esters develop by boiling acid with ethanol. Why some hold full reflux even on rum run. dunder is the source of the acid. The dunder is also used to drop ph(usually to round 5) to ward off unwanted infection.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RC Al » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Just read a thing yesterday where -very- small amounts of 6 different food additive acids were added to the start of a ferment, they were able to dial in the different flavours/notes they were after.

The bundy process involves buffering the crap out of it up to 7.5-8ph and then adding acid to get back down to 5 just to add in esters that form at the high ph

This is all gloves and safety eye ware work and very dangerous so I have been very vague on purpose - do your own research and be safe if you explore this :scared-eek:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:58 pm

Hence why most home blokes just use dunder. A number of different acids present butyric is one hopefully in small amounts :whistle:
This is a good read https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ester
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby M8Harry » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:34 pm

very interesting!!!
M8Harry

Return to Recipe Development