My Home Cousin's Process Plan

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: My Home Cousin's Process Plan

Postby Beerswimmer » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:47 am

Running #2 now. The thumper juice mixed with lime has settled after 24 hours into 3 levels in my carboy. The top half is clear brown like Coke, the bottom half is like a chocolate milkshake with a 3 CM layer of solids on the bottom. I'll be leaving this to settle even more until Monday due to work. On Monday I'll be racking the top off and acidifying with cane vinegar and adding to my dunder pit, the bottom half will be acidified and separated again. Then I'll lime what's left in the thumper from the run today and do it again.
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby Beerswimmer » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 pm

So I took off the top half, acidified it and added half to the dunder pit and the other half went into the thumper for run #3. WOW did that kick up the esters!! So I did it again for run #4. The bottom halves were acidified and kept. I got #5 fermenting, but I now have more low wines than I need for a spirit run. So a spirit run it will be! The bottom halves I separated the liquid from the solids and discarded the solids. The liquid is now mixed with the high abv and is smelling crazy. Spirit run in a few days!!

I got to wondering about trying this with a whiskey..... :think:
Beerswimmer

Postby Beerswimmer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 am

Halfway through the spirit run and HOLY SHIT IT WORKS!!!!!! Suuuuuper strong and estery!!!!
Beerswimmer

Postby bluc » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:16 pm

Have you thought taking it one step further and using ale yeast like kveik hornidal?

Be interesting to try this on burbon. Have you tried doing this using dunder as the acid instead of sulfuric or is it not acid enough? Or do you need a specific type of acid to produce specific esters?
I have heard of this done before but feel bit funny bout adding sulfuric acid to something I drink..
Last edited by bluc on Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Beerswimmer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:45 pm

You probably don't want to try this with bourbon because you're concentrating the flavors and aromas of the dunder, and bourbon dunder is pretty nasty. You use sulfuric because it will only need a little bit to drop the PH, dunder would just water everything down.
Beerswimmer

Postby Beerswimmer » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:16 am

I ended up with 10.5 gallons after cuts. I separated the cuts into 2, the first and second half. The first half is being kept white @ 79.5%, the second half went into a used 5 gallon bourbon barrel @ 74%.

Tasting of the 79.5% white mixed 50/50 with water, to around 40%:
Nose- Sweet, grapes, dark fruits like plums, rummy, sugars, slight ethanol, mild industrial notes
Taste- Thick mouthfeel. Sweet, grape soda, dark fruits, apricots, pineapple, sugars, mild industrial notes
Finish-Grape soda, rummy, sweet, more rum, dark fruits. 20 mins later my mouth is still full of rum like I just had it. Same at 30!
Last edited by Beerswimmer on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beerswimmer

Previous

Return to Recipe Development