Licorice Root Vodka

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Licorice Root Vodka

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:04 pm

G'day Guy's,
I've just done a search and I can't believe I didn't put this recipe on the forum :angry-banghead: as in my opinion it is an ozzie version of a toned down ouzo :teasing-tease:

Now in 5 litre of hearts by hearts

50-100 grams of crushed licorice root
1-3 star of anise
1 stick of cinnamon

crush everything in a corana mill and add to the neutral then stir daily but leave it for a week to fully macerate. Then run it thru a pot still and what ever your not drinking leave it at the ABV you got off the still. then just decanter down when required.

I do believe I made this stuff before i joined the forum and decantered a bottle at new years. This stuff is amazing and I'm sure if a few do this recipe it won't take long for it to take off.

Cheers Bryan

Now I did say this stuff was nice and I did set the record at the country hospital after SWMBO thought I was too far gone but I came home and had more as it is just so nice :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Licorice Root Vodka

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:23 pm

Now you want us all to start a garden mate, it looks like it takes a couple of years for the licorice root to grow to a point of harvesting.

So many recipes so little time lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:26 pm

I’ll try this one , since you sent me all that root
Cheers
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:38 pm

Wellsy some licorice root is heading your way tomorrow with that bottle of peat mate
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:49 pm

You will have to let me know what you want sent back mate.
I have BWKO, 3 months old, NGW 2 months old , got some AG on the go but will be months before spirit run is done or if you are brave enough I can send you a fresh bottle of vodka once I triple distill it.

Thank you by the way for your generosity of spirit and advice mate :)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:43 pm

Well now having a dram or three :obscene-drinkingchug: of this licorice root vodka and just asked SWMBO how easy is a cutting to get going where the answer was NO it won't grow I've tried it.

So if one wants to get one going a trip to the plant shop is needed but be aware this can become a weed and the roots get 3 metres long. But for what we are doing this is a good thing and just let em grow rampant :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm about to pull up a heap and if any forum members want some and lets say $25 for 500 grams along with $12.50 for postage. Mind you it is a heap of work for me and I am thinking of using the tractor to pull some this out as it has got that rampant :laughing-rolling: Then it's the cutting and drying to consider so I do think it is a good price and just to think if I pulled my patch the 5 star shop would run out in a month :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: and that if he would put it on the product line :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:51 pm

How do you recommend breaking this up for the poor person who doesn’t own a Corona mill?
This stuffs harder than an old HB pencil .
And don’t say mortar and passel, the Mrs had a heart attack I was bashing it so hard
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:52 pm

We have no intent on selling botanicals Bryan :-B
Andrew

equipment: Anything I choose From The 5 Star Range

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:06 pm

The Stig wrote:How do you recommend breaking this up for the poor person who doesn’t own a Corona mill?
And don’t say mortar and passel, the Mrs had a heart attack I was bashing it so hard

WTF :laughing-rolling: 5 star distilling doesn't sell corona mills :laughing-rolling: mate maybe time to start selling them as I got mine from a HBS shop for under a $100 for a hand powered one :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm sure if you asked those chings they would make a good enough to call it a 5 star one :handgestures-thumbupleft: so do it man and I reckon it will be a good seller .

Cheers Bryan

Edir speeling
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:16 pm

I don’t think so , not enough room and I’m not Bunnings of distilling :laughing-rolling:
Andrew

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:35 pm

Andrew wrote:I don’t think so , not enough room and I’m not Bunnings of distilling :laughing-rolling:

So what you want to send the root back for milling well mate you pay postage both ways and it's a done deal :handgestures-thumbupleft: and in the return postage you can get your bottle :handgestures-thumbupleft: just not be what your thinking but it will give a chilli twist to it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Mate this stuff has aged in the bottle for yonks and man is it nice :obscene-drinkingchug: I reckon the vodka version is the one to send.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:38 pm

Did I just here you will beat any competitor by 10% lol
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:09 pm

Wellsy wrote:Did I just here you will beat any competitor by 10% lol

Na I've been trying to get him to sell something on mine for years but he keeps using that bunnings quote :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:29 pm

Sorry Bryan , we don’t sell belts or cabbage :teasing-neener:
Andrew

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:35 pm

A.do sell a hand mincer for 20:00 every now and again maybe that would crush it a little
Wellsy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:36 pm

Was meant to be the German supermarket
Wellsy

Postby bluc » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:44 pm

The Stig wrote:How do you recommend breaking this up for the poor person who doesn’t own a Corona mill?

$20 spice coffe grinder..
Ok maybe $40 spice grinder
https://www.betta.com.au/sunbeam-multig ... fUQAvD_BwE
:))
Last edited by bluc on Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:41 am

What about using a Hydraulic press to crush flat and then to put in a blender.
wynnum1

Postby Wellsy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:10 am

https://www.bunnings.com.au/125mm-licor ... a_p0092648

Is this the same stuff, I am getting heaps of variations when I google this plant.

Thanks
Wellsy

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:52 am

Wellsy wrote:https://www.bunnings.com.au/125mm-licorice-herb-tagetes-filifolia_p0092648

Is this the same stuff, I am getting heaps of variations when I google this plant.

Thanks

Is there any precursor to making drugs in the roots because ever time i look up ingredient that is a root they say is banned or gives you cancer like kava and then find was all bull shit about the cancer.
wynnum1

Next

Return to Recipe Development