First Whiskey Mash

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

First Whiskey Mash

Postby WalterWhite » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:39 pm

Just mashed in my first attempt at a grain whiskey.
Have 3kg pale malt and 3kg manuka smoked malt. Will add 1kg raw sugar to bring OG to 1.070.
Will add dry enzyme and ferment with Nottingham.
Stripping run then do a second batch and strip that then a final spirit run.
Hoping the smokiness carries over into the spirit.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Re: First Whiskey Mash

Postby WalterWhite » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:42 pm

Update on this one.
First wash has been down 6 days and gone from 1.076 to 1.011. Nottingham is a beast.
It’s still going and I hope it will get down to maybe 1.003ish to give me 9.5%.
I’ve just mashed in the second batch so that I have two to strip and make a final spirit run.
The wash smells extremely smoky and the taste from the fermenter is pure ashtray so hopeful at this stage.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:49 pm

Sounds very promising mate. Keep us updated with your final results of flavour on your spirit run. What still will you be using?
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby WalterWhite » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:40 pm

At this stage mate unfortunately it’s just the 2” Keggomax. I’ll be running with no reflux but 4 x 4” rolls of copper packing in the vapour path.
I previously rushed in to the hobby, bought a 5* Neutraliser 4 plate bubbler and didn’t make anything I was happy with, little one came along and I sold it. Wish I hadn’t now!lol. But plan to have a crack at all grain with this still, see if I can make anything I am somewhat happy with and if I can start working back up to a better setup. Main thing I won’t be doing this time is rushing anything.
I’m enjoying the all grain brewing of beer so figured I may as well see how it goes for whisky :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WalterWhite

Postby WalterWhite » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:07 pm

Update time ...
Ran my first strip yesterday. Had already cubed the second batch so poured that straight on to the yeast cake once the first wash was on the boiler. Started fermenting pretty hard after a few hours :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The strip run went great. 4.7L at 35% after I ran down to 10% and under 3 hours from start to clean up.
WalterWhite

Postby WalterWhite » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:50 pm

Running sheet from the spirit run.
Lines on the side indicate projected cuts based on initial smell during run.
Actual cuts included half jar from 6 and half jars from 14 and 15. I blended all of this the following day. I have about 1.7L of 62% on American oak dominoes and 2 x 300ml jars with American and French oak chips because I’m impatient to get some tried. Will remove the chips after about two weeks of thermal cycling and see what it’s like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WalterWhite

Postby quidjibo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:31 am

Nice work, looking to try something similar this year.
quidjibo

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2" riser/sight-glass/elbow/shotgun condenser.

Postby WalterWhite » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:04 am

quidjibo wrote:Nice work, looking to try something similar this year.

I’ll let you know how it turns out ... I have probably taken a bit too much tails so hoping some time and wood will smooth it out. I was really conscious of getting the smoky flavours and may have gone a bit far but we will see.
Doing a WBAB vodka next and then another all grain whisky. Single malt this time with 14kg of Golden Promise.
WalterWhite

Return to Recipe Development