Cornflakes and 4 grain Weetbix

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Cornflakes and 4 grain Weetbix

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:38 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well while shopping I picked up a small box of weetbix to put my next neutral wash down and when I opened the packet got a surprise where the weetbix weren't the plain old style but they had grains all thru it.

So Wheat, Rye, Sorghum and Oats in the 4 grain Weetbix :think: now after I put the wash down and had a bit of think about it by adding some Cornflakes to the mix would give a nice balance of flavours for a entry style bourbon breakfast style :laughing-rolling:

So for a 50 litre ferment

One small box of Cornflakes

One small box of 4 Grain Weetbix

Invert(dissolve) 10 kg of sugar into some hot water

Now depending on your water supply ensure the ph of the water after adding everything is around 5-5.5ph then add a clean oyster shell in as a ph buffer which will go a long way to stopping that dreaded ferment stall as the ph went too low.

Once done strip in a pot still to get the low wines then after the run pour 5 litres of backset (whats left in the boiler after the run) into a decent jug to invert the sugar and either let it cool or crash cool by putting the hot jug into the sink with cold water around it which may need to be drained and repeated to get the solution down to around 30 degrees.

Take out a heap of the old (CF4GWB) and add the same as the first batch in the fermenter, by adding the backset we are now making a sour mash so keep the generations going until enough low wines are there for a full boiler 40% spirit run which will take most of the day as we want a nice slow run to get the best drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This is an easy recipe to do and the idea is if enough of us make it and like the finished product with these new style breakfast cereals then it can be added to the Tried and Proven forum. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Cornflakes and 4 grain Weetbix

Postby Proof » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:29 pm

Sounds like a healthy breakfast drink!
Proof

equipment: 2" modular copper boka, SPP, 65L digiboil.

Postby harold01 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:06 pm

I am going to give it a go
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby howard » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:20 pm

i'm a fan of the old cornflakes myself.
for 50l of wash, i would currently use 2.5 x 890gm boxes cornflakes, 2 x 250gm box of ryvita, 1 x 750gm packet of macro 5-grain porridge & 8kg sugar.
so i'm a bit heavier on the C/F's, but a 2 year experiment is coming along very nicely with these ingredients.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Return to Recipe Development