Irish whiskey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Irish whiskey

Postby OzzyChef » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:42 pm

bluc wrote:Wondering tas did you sparge squeeze or ferment on the grain?

:text-+1:

Just read this whole thread and am keen for a try, what did you do tas?
OzzyChef

equipment: 2 inch copper pot still and 2" copper offset reflux still
30l turbo boilervand 50l keg boiler under construction

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:15 am

Be interesting to see what I get from this next wash
Basically 5 th jen uncle jessies this time I added 10 kg malted barley that was cooked in 4 jen wash
If the way its bubbling is any thing to go by it will be good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:08 pm

OzzyChef wrote:
bluc wrote:Wondering tas did you sparge squeeze or ferment on the grain?

:text-+1:

Just read this whole thread and am keen for a try, what did you do tas?

I gelatinized the corn as it was, added enzyme to cold water as per pintoshines instructions, chucked in the corn and bought it up to 88' held it there for 90 mins, put some more cold water in to bring the temp down to 66' added Irish distillers malt and let it do its thing for 2 hours before I managed to get back to it. Drained the malt pipe then sparged with 6L of 75' water. If I had ground the corn I think my yield would have been a little better, this way was piss easy, its bubbling away with Malt Whisky Yeast. The plan is to strip until I have 35-40L of low wines, run it through the bubbler then age on AO that has been sitting in UJSSM then replace those with FO that has been soaking in Olorosso :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:41 am

The strip from the first lot had quite a interesting taste, a bit sour. Mashing 2nd lot now, as there was a bit of room left in the mash tun I thought I would up the amount of grain to 4.5kg cracked corn and 2.5kg malt. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:36 am

How did you get on with second lot tas did you use same method? What was your sg?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:44 am

bluc wrote:How did you get on with second lot tas did you use same method? What was your sg?

Same method, left it mashing at 65' for a bit longer cause I was running the still. SG was 1.070, 1 thing I have noticed is that it does not ferment anywhere as fast as a Single Malt mash. :think:
Last edited by TasSpirits on Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:47 am

Thats awesome if you can grab 1.07 and can sparge the cracked corn then i cant wait to give it another go
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:33 pm

bluc wrote:Thats awesome if you can grab 1.07 and can sparge the cracked corn then i cant wait to give it another go

The distillers malt I am using has a higher DP than a standard beer malt, combined with the enzymes this is what is probably giving me a high SG, just something to think about. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby crow » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:58 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
bluc wrote:Thats awesome if you can grab 1.07 and can sparge the cracked corn then i cant wait to give it another go

The distillers malt I am using has a higher DP than a standard beer malt, combined with the enzymes this is what is probably giving me a high SG, just something to think about. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Where do you get that? Do you know by chance the DP of it and all important how does the taste compare? ( malt carry over)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 pm

crow wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:

Where do you get that? Do you know by chance the DP of it and all important how does the taste compare? ( malt carry over)

I got the Irish distillers malt from my local HBS, I cant remember the DP, Ill dig it out tomorrow, the Malt certainly comes across in the strip, once Ive stripped more ill do a spirit run and se what it tastes like. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 am

crow wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:

The DP is 250wk as is the Irish stout malt Ive got :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Psykamaholik » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Are you going to triple still it too?
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Psykamaholik wrote:Are you going to triple still it too?

Pot still 3 times :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Just got another 45L @ 1.065 on the go :D
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Just checked my last mash, down to 990, will be stripping it tomorrow night, looks like it will be a bit better than expected :happy-partydance: the other have stopped at about 1.000. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Swedish Pride » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:46 pm

stout malt huh, never tried that, I bet it's a big diff compared to a "normal" base malt
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Swedish Pride wrote:stout malt huh, never tried that, I bet it's a big diff compared to a "normal" base malt

It looks like normal Malt, just has a high DP like a Distillers Malt. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Swedish Pride » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:12 am

Right ok, thought it was malt you use to brew stout, that is far from normal malt, really strong toast on it to get the black stout colour/flavour
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:32 pm

I ran the first spirit run this morning, made rough cuts, took out the heads and the tails from 30%, doing the 2nd spirit run now. After the first cuts I was left with 26L @ 35%, slow spirit run through the bubbler in pot mode, then on to Heavy toast American oak that has been in UJSSM for the last 6 months, hopefully this will be similar to Irish Whiskey :pray:
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:55 pm

After cuts I kept 6L @ 65%, 2L are on medium toast American oak that has been in UJSSM for 6 months, 2L on heavy toast that has been in CFW for 6 months and the last 2L on medium toast that has been in Penfolds special reserve Port for close to 18 months. The Distiller's privilege is amazingly smooth, with hints of honey and caramel. I pot stilled this through the bubbler without the RC going, still painfully slow, but I think the extra reflux has made a big difference. Next lot will be Malt Barley and Micronized Barley. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development