Irish whiskey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Irish whiskey

Postby crow » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Yes I wouldn't over do the wood for an Irish styled whiskey , I've only ever heard of any of those mentioned brands using reused not reconditioned barrels (bushmills blackbush might be the exception from memory but IMHO I'd avoid trying to copy that on account of it resembling a $19 bottle of bourbon )
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 pm

crow your a bugga!

the top fell of the Bushmills this arvo...bench marking the flavour as u suggested...I'm starting to have trouble seeing the bloody bench...

a slightly...err happy
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:08 pm

Slow up , leave 2 mouthfuls for comparison plus ya don't want to be to pissed to tell the missus the next one on the list to go get ( Slieve Foy's ) ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Frank » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Or maybe....
to all those considering this thread etc in detail (and more detailed PM sent to bt1 ;-) )
why not try some poteen (aka potcheen/poiton) to REALLY get a comparison of diff Irish whiskey?
Bunratty anyone? :dance:

Bushmills and Jamesons are NOT Irish owned anymore BTW...
Frank

Postby crow » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm no surprised but they still taste the same though . Frank if your PM involves a grain bill/method can i intrude on you to post it as Bt is not the only one interested in the venture . I'm thinking about trying to copy this style of Whiskey myslf in the near future , is feidir do aillimhe gloine a bheith iomlan ;-)
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:57 pm

Just having a bit of a read.

;)

http://www.whiskeysofireland.com/

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby bt1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:56 pm

I'm a little amazed at how hard this ferment is going.

I mean the main diff is a little if any startch conversion on grains and the grinding process is the only major changes...but it's still belting like seriously hard ferment.

Each morning place smells of a sourish grain. Popped an air lock to check what I'm taking in and it spat some of the water back out...nice!

Looking forward to doing first run on this wash...then the truth will come out.

bt1
bt1

Postby bt1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:54 pm

Just a quick update...

This beast of a wash is done...in 5 days wow...

Just when you thought it was safe to venture into fresh fields of tasty grain whisky...this popped up...they make just 1 barrel a day!

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby bt1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Both fermenters ended up at about .98, stripped a tad under 10lt from 70abv to 20 abv.

Second washes underway with reduced grain level with fresh barley .5lt and some wheat .25ml added.

Another warm pitch at about 33c off like a Lowan's rocket as it always does. See how we go next weekend.

bt1
bt1

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Mate re the 10l strip
how was it re smell/taste etc?
Any obvious differences to previous grain washes? How much 'tails'-like spirit do you reckon in that 10l?
Frank

Postby bt1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Bloke,

I'm a bit rusty on stripping runs having single run for so loooooooooooong.

Only run today so not sure my opinion counts as yet but...1st 5lt It's "green" like not malty but almost a caramel, wet grass ,fresh, well aired smell...

2nd 5lt has tails in it it's flatter not wet dog as much as nutty. It's unlike anything I've done before.

Odd thing is must have added the Pale Ale malt to just 1 fermenter,( err mybad) it was much darker very malty and had the lower SG. There also was a slight colouration to the yeast bed like pale crimson.

I'm really enjoying a new recipe it's kinda fired me up again ...much needed... I really would like to be able to get three recipes to Tried and Proven in next year or so:

1 A fresh grain based Irish
2 A un peated Malt Irish

3 A Wheat whiskey

Frank sry on last option but I've read plenty on wheat brews, aussie has it in plentiful supply and it's not main stream like the Irish drops.

http://www.montanawhiskey.com/whiskey/products/spring-wheat-whiskey

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/bernheim-original-kentucky-straight-wheat-whiskey/

bt1
bt1

Postby crow » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:43 pm

The Irish use to make oat whiskey too but I think they stopped doing it about 1975 , can't remember who last made it as i read it yrs ago but to my knowledge no one commercially makes this stuff anymore on account of its messy hard to clear mashes . I reckon I might take this project under my wing as it just couldn't be worse than clearing the figs :)) . Anyway I was thinking I'd start with a sugar head type of wash to get an idea of the taste before going for the reportedly troublesome mash
crow

Postby grumpthehermit » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:08 pm

G'day Crow,

I came across this the other day, might be of some interest regarding your Oat Whisky thoughts?

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4591

;-)

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks yeah for sure they look like goers . Still think I'll try it UJ style first just to get a feel for the flavor and then give the cooked mash a go , they sound a little intimidating
crow

Postby R-sole » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:09 am

You'll get very little flavour from oats uj style. Best is cooked.

You could trial a mini mash with some home brand rolled oats and cracked malt.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:18 pm

yep I was starting to think to myself how much flavor will carry over given that all reports suggest it is a very mild smooth whiskey that can be over oaked easily . I see reading around that you made some several yrs back but some turd nicked half of it and watered it down . Just wondering if you re did any and how much mucking around did you find this type of mash eg was it in your opinion worth the effort . I read about oat whiskey yrs and yrs ago and have sort of been interested ever since , vaguely remember hearing about grandad and/or his bothers making whiskey out of oats (Way before my time) it would have been a hay variety I'd think . Swan was all the go when I was a kid but I have no idea what they would have been growing back in the 30's , reckon I'll just go the B&G rolled oats path anyway EDIT 5Star what ratio of malt to oats would you suggest and would you add any sugar to up the ABV a bit
crow

Postby R-sole » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:20 am

My uninvited thief turned out to be angels. Be wary of storing long term in cookie jars with no seals.

I would reccomend at least 30% malt to give yourself a good conversion rate. Half on the way up to the boil and half back at 65C. You should try one with allgrain and one thin mash to compare for yourself.

The third way you could do it would be to do an allgrain, single run it for a nice tipple and then use 100% backset with sugar to do another wash and either single run it to compare or strip if you are doing this in a series. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby crow » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Yep ok i will have to see what i can rustle up in the way of fermenters , using bins is not great as they are susceptible to infection and I'd rather have them in something I can run at my convenience (got one spare the rest are tied up with rum gens) I'm going to make some Inquiries into 80 ltr jobs I heard they sell in Ballarat which is not too far away , its where my kids live so I go there pretty often . EDIT branching this off to a separate thread "Oat Whiskey" rather than have every style of Irish whiskey confusing method developments
crow

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:31 am

Not much to report here

dropped temps to 30 -32c so now on two week cycle.

Put another 60lt fermenter into action to assist with volumes, bought another 2 x corny kegs for storage.

Watch the post on the history of whisky making on Fu tube...making a Good irish just seems much harder now..
1 grain whisky 3 times distilled
1 corn/malted barley refluxed stilled
Then add to that three barrel types...6 combos for blending? shit!

bt1
bt1

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 am

Hello all,

stripped out 120lt for low wines ready for next weekend's final 2 redistill pot runs.

Been topping up with about 20% new ground grain rebalancing i guess with about
1lt fresh barely
250ml pale malt and 250ml wheat

Guess and only a guess tryin to get a flatter earthy final taste as I reckon over did malt on first grain bill. Rye should never have been part of this grain bill...mybad :roll:

bt1
bt1

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development