Recipe suggestion to use up some malt

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Recipe suggestion to use up some malt

Postby Nardy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:42 pm

I just moved house and in the process put a 25kg bag of Thomas Fawcett malted barley (that i use for brewing beer) off to the side of my new garage. Unfortunately as it turns out, this section of my garage has a drainage issue and that bag got a bit wet.

So, i need to use it up, quick. I plan to brew at least a batch or two of beer with it, but will still have a good 15kgs left over.

Any suggestions for a wash to run through the pot still using the leftovers?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Nardy

Re: Recipe suggestion to use up some malt

Postby Kimbo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:50 pm

Hi Nardy,
Send it to me :D
if it were me, i would go a single malt whiskey, you could add other grains if you wanted to ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Re: Recipe suggestion to use up some malt

Postby stephenkentucky » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Nardy I second that ...would definitely go for a single malt...you could even smoke some, to add some peaty smokiness. I do mine in a covered commercial wok lined with foil...just suspend the grain in a stainless steel strainer. Try casuarina it imparts a really nutty smokiness. do not do too much as smoked grain can be much stronger than grains such as Bairds peated malt. If you smoke aggressively only add 5 - 10 % of the total grain bill.
stephenkentucky

Return to Recipe Development