Southern Comfort. Nice for the ladies?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Southern Comfort. Nice for the ladies?

Postby emptyglass » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:08 pm

Nice recipie, made me re-think how good or bad this drink can be. All you need are the ingredients and some not-so-good bourbon thats too raspy to drink. Its not mine, its from HD.

"Cordials (liqueurs) and punches were popular in the U.S. Originally bourbon whiskey was quite rough, as demand did not allow for aging, and therfore invited additional flavoring.
Southern Comfort was first made in New Orleans by the bartender named H.W. Huron in 1870. The taste is the result of bourbon whiskey, fruit and spice. The whiskey provides the tastes of caramel and vanilla. The fruit is peach with orange and some lemon. The spice seems to be just cinnamon. It comes in 38%abv and 50%abv strengths. Could one emulate the bartender Huron?
o For 1 litre of bourbon whiskey you could experiment by macerating for 10 days and then straining:
o 1-2g cinnamon
o 3 strips of orange peel
o 1 strip of lemon peel
o 1-3 halved peaches
o 1/2 cup sugar
o caramel coloring."

I substitute lemon for lime and use zest, seems nice. If you use tails, let it macerate for longer. I also used glucose syrup insted of sugar, let it sit on oak insted of caramel. Good legopner.
emptyglass

Re: Southern Comfort. Nice for the ladies?

Postby crow » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:09 am

hmm just come across this going through old posts I missed while in SA last. Might have to knock this up for my sissy she drinks this sweet shit all the time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby invisigoth » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:51 pm

so just what dimensions constitute "a strip" of orange peel... it sounds like "how long is a piece of string?" 8-}
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:05 pm

http://www.sunkist.com/products/buying_ ... dling.aspx
That was the first match google gave.

Its a pretty flexable recipie, its meant to make bad bourbon taste acceptable.

If you want to put some string in it, I'd suggest you use a short peice, as no one knows what a long bit would do.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_boar ... s/869.html
emptyglass

Postby Beerswimmer » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 am

SoCo always has a cough syrup tase/smell to it that I find revolting :puke-huge:
Beerswimmer

equipment: Pot only!!

Postby emptyglass » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 am

Beerswimmer, I know what you are saying, but when you make it yourself, it ain't all that bad. If you use a pretty good tasting bourbon to start with, it looses that cough syrup taste.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:23 pm

I want to try this, my missus likes it, thanks empty.
googe

Postby emptyglass » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 pm

I think I enjoyed making it more than drinking it.
I had some windfall peaches last year and was looking for something to do with them. It turns out that peaches, cinamon, citrus zest and a corn based spirit are the key ingredients. I never liked SoCo, as it was too sweet, with this recipie, you can dial back on the sugar a bit (or honey, or glucose).

I'd like to make some with no sweetner for the boys, and sweet for the girls.
emptyglass

Postby Linny » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Here is my first attempt at your recipe EG ... its a TPW base that has been smoothed with oak domino's , with Edwards bourbon essence. the rest is your recipe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby emptyglass » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:28 pm

Cheers mate, enjoy.
Its not my recipie, it came from HD.
emptyglass

Postby Linny » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Must have missed the post .... well let me just say .... this smells and taste pretty much smack bang on. My neighbour (the boiler maker) Lurves this stuff , he had a original bottle .... couldnt really tell apart from the fact that mine was darker. He likes mine better since it comes in a bigger 2L container :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Linny

Postby emptyglass » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:15 pm

It works pretty well. It does do a good job masking bad bourbon.
And it works pretty quick.
I'll admit, before I made it myself, the thought of southern made me :puke-huge:
But its like anything home made. Heaps better than the bought stuff.

Now you got your mate hooked, you should be able to get a favor or two....
emptyglass

Postby Bushy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:07 pm

Little bit of a departure from the thread. Sorry EG. But my wife and half her friends enjoy one of the tinctures i make up. Southern haze. It's got a bit of sugar in it. But when she puts this with dry, i send her to the fridge for another can for my drink and sneak a sip while shes not lookin. Like me uncle Cole used to say "beeudiful"
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Linny » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:47 am

WineGlass wrote:It works pretty well. It does do a good job masking bad bourbon.
And it works pretty quick.
I'll admit, before I made it myself, the thought of southern made me :puke-huge:
But its like anything home made. Heaps better than the bought stuff.

Now you got your mate hooked, you should be able to get a favor or two....

How do you think I got my bubbler built Lol :handgestures-thumbupleft: ... I don't know how you guys build them by yourself. .. I tried southern haze. It was closish but was missing that peach flavour that this recipe brings. I think that's why its so close to the real thing
Linny

Postby emptyglass » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Oh yeah, Sothern haze, its all coming back to me now.
SoCo is bad enough, but that stuff took bad to a whole new level for me.
But I did enjoy this recipie, maybe the starting bourbon we make is not as bad as the stuff they start with, I'm not sure, but it does have a nice flavor.
emptyglass

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:47 pm

WineGlass wrote:Nice recipie, made me re-think how good or bad this drink can be. All you need are the ingredients and some not-so-good bourbon thats too raspy to drink. Its not mine, its from HD.

"Cordials (liqueurs) and punches were popular in the U.S. Originally bourbon whiskey was quite rough, as demand did not allow for aging, and therfore invited additional flavoring.
Southern Comfort was first made in New Orleans by the bartender named H.W. Huron in 1870. The taste is the result of bourbon whiskey, fruit and spice. The whiskey provides the tastes of caramel and vanilla. The fruit is peach with orange and some lemon. The spice seems to be just cinnamon. It comes in 38%abv and 50%abv strengths. Could one emulate the bartender Huron?
o For 1 litre of bourbon whiskey you could experiment by macerating for 10 days and then straining:
o 1-2g cinnamon
o 3 strips of orange peel
o 1 strip of lemon peel
o 1-3 halved peaches
o 1/2 cup sugar
o caramel coloring."

I substitute lemon for lime and use zest, seems nice. If you use tails, let it macerate for longer. I also used glucose syrup insted of sugar, let it sit on oak insted of caramel. Good legopner.

Did a couple of ltrs of this today with some neutral flavoured with American gobbler bourban chips,had a little swig just before and man that's close to the real deal only better I recon,,the only difference I changed with this was brown sugar and a bit less of the sugar,and didn't worry with the Caramel colouring.i can tell this will be a hit for sure along with the 2 ltrs of honey and rolled oats vodka.thankyou!! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :D
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby emptyglass » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:58 pm

I guess some of that bourbon flavored vodka can be a bit funny, but it would work well.
emptyglass

Postby jasonc2861 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:32 pm

WineGlass wrote:I guess some of that bourbon flavored vodka can be a bit funny, but it would work well.

Yer surprised how good it is actually,had another sip after lunch,,man very nice indeed.i would highly recommend this for the bourban chipped nuetral. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby jasonc2861 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Hey what would you recommend for replacing the peaches?cant bloody get em anywhere,have to say this is some of the best stuff I've drank! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby Linny » Thu May 16, 2013 4:30 pm

you can use what ever fruit/nectar to make a nice drink ... but if you want to stay true to SoCo you will need peaches
Linny

Next

Return to Recipe Development