Southern Comfort. Nice for the ladies?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Southern Comfort. Nice for the ladies?

Postby 5 o'clock » Thu May 16, 2013 11:03 pm

I also couldn't find fresh peaches recently so I made this recipe with a packet of dried peaches from the supermarket.

I ended up with a thick syrupy liquid at the bottom of the bottle which I can only assume came from the peaches but the flavour was still good.

I was hesitant about the use of my roughest bourbon. I had some that was a combination of the early and late hearts parts of the spirit run but I oaked it anyway to see if it aged well. It improved but not enough for me to love. This recipe was a great way to make it very drinkable.

I was considering using canned peaches but I wasn't sure how the stewing process would affect the flavour. The dried seemed to concentrate it.

Bottom line is that there is a way to make a southern comfort clone without fresh peaches but I am looking forward to trying again with fresh ingredients.

Cheers,

5 o'clock
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby emptyglass » Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 pm

I wouldn't sat use your roughest bourbon, but if it turns out that the stuff you made is not quite up to scratch, use that.

Its not really a way to turn bad cuts good, its a way to make young not so clever bourbon taste better.

SoCo is a taste some dont like anyway. But some avarage bourbon with some good ingrdients it turns out not too bad. Maybe the dried peaches changed it a bit.

The ladies seem to like it anyway.
emptyglass

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Ok might try some dried peaches and some canned ones,,and compare them,,but yer I recon it won't be as good as the fresh peaches,,geezuz that turns out good,,missus loves it and naggin me for more. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby SBB » Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 pm

EG
I will have to pass on some thanks from stubbydrainer because he has been looking for a recipe for SoCo for a little while now ( the poor bastard has not had internet for months , only sometimes if he is lucky )
he has a good looking neighbour that has been pestering him for the ellusive pantydropper for a while now, I know he will be happy with this recipe ( maybe :)) )

sbb
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby SBB » Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Lesson 1 do not leave lap top unattended when on the piss with Stubbie Drainer........who %#@in knows what he might write.
See above.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Fri May 17, 2013 11:30 pm

This could be a case for Sherlock :think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby emptyglass » Sat May 18, 2013 12:15 am

SBB wrote:EG
I will have to pass on some thanks from stubbydrainer because he has been looking for a recipe for SoCo for a little while now ( the poor bastard has not had internet for months , only sometimes if he is lucky )
he has a good looking neighbour that has been pestering him for the ellusive pantydropper for a while now, I know he will be happy with this recipe ( maybe :)) )

sbb

I'm sure you'll be happy enough with the results draino, or more importantly the good looking neighbor :handgestures-thumbupleft:
(nice keyboard slip mate, almost beats the $50 slip).

SBB wrote:Lesson 1 do not leave lap top unattended when on the piss with Stubbie Drainer........who %#@in knows what he might write.
See above.

Experience is a thorough teacher, but it teaches at the cost of mistakes. All I can say is keep an eye on him at all times, lol
I hope he gets his connection sorted soon, maybe he can start posting again as himself, not a psudo SBB :laughing-rolling:

I hope mac dosn't have to send sherlock in to investigage. Personaly, I'm enjoying the mystery....
emptyglass

Postby bac206 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:14 pm

So how long should I leave this recipe to soak? Mixed up today but couldn't get fresh peaches. Used woolworthes peaches in syrup. Let everyone know what it's like when I know how long to soak it for
bac206

equipment: 2" CM Keggomax
2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller
Just finished 4" glass bubbler

Postby Linny » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:38 pm

i soaked mine about 10 days ... i recommend checking on day 3 ,5,7 and 10

you will have to pull out orange etc early ... can you post your results ,,, im interested since im waiting till spring to get more peaches
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby bac206 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Shall do. I'm a SoCo fan so I'll give first hand results. Will have to leave it 14 days due to work roster tho.
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby Linny » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:13 pm

ooooh be careful. steeping with fruits and spices are a careful balance ,,, its not something that you can just leave and forget. might be better to wait ,,, or take it to work LOL

I made mine with a essence bourbon ,,, and ive had nothing but great reviews
Linny

Postby bac206 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Jeez mine looks nowhere near as nice ~x( . This is mine at 2 days. I used:-
1700ml of chipped bourbon
3/4 cup caster sugar
3 grams ground cinnamon(thinking I should've used stick instead)
1 strip of lemon peel
1/4 orange peel sliced
A 410g(I think it was 410g. It's written down somewhere) home brand peach slices in syrup.
As you can see in one of the pics it's very murky. Don't think a day 3 trial will do. It'll have to be 5,7,9,10 I thinks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby bac206 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Well it looks like fresh peaches are definitely a must. Barely detect if noticed any peach flavour :handgestures-thumbdown: . Overpowered by orange/citrus. That and ground cinnamon sucks to filter. Use sticks. Drinkable but was disappointed in the end. Bring on peach season
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby Andy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:17 pm

peach season is here/nearing if you were waiting to try this
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Linny » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:09 pm

I actually bottled 4 bottles today using mountain moonshine as the base.... yuuummmm
Linny

Postby Brendan » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Linny wrote:I actually bottled 4 bottles today using mountain moonshine as the base.... yuuummmm

Good stuff Linny, that'd be a nice drop :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks again for that oak :-D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Put down my first attempt and SOCO today. Recipe used;

2 x litres of Sour Mash 55% (unwooded)
8 x Fresh Peaches
Zest of 1 x Orange
Zest of 1 x Lime
1/2 a stick of cinnamon
Small vanilla bean stick

Will shake n bake for 7-10 days then strain and put in some heavy charred American Oak.

IMG_0574.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby Speedmaster71 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:50 pm

I was wanting to try this recipe with an essence bourbon. I'm not sure which one though?
Speedmaster71

equipment: 2" Boka with a 50l Keg, 1X60 Litre fermenter, 1X 190 Litre fermenter

Postby Woodsy71 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:35 pm

Underground44 wrote:I was wanting to try this recipe with an essence bourbon. I'm not sure which one though?

Mate, the problem with essences is that they taste "bubblegumish", sweet, and that will flow through to your end product.

If you don't have a UJ or similar, just throw some neutral down on Bourbon chips or whatever the HBS has. Then give this recipe a try. I'm a convert.

It's not a commercial Soco. Very tasty
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby JamieC » Sat May 07, 2016 7:44 pm

Ok, I have bout 1350mls of 60% TPW 8 days on Still Spirits Southerner chips (Which I might ad smelt real nice. Way better that my Tennessee chipped TPW of the same age.) Couldn't get fresh peaches obviously, so went the dried route. Recipe as shown, except used 1/2 cinnamon stick and 2 x dried peaches. If not enough peach flavor after 1 week, I have Peach essence to supplement. 3 days on and i am thinking of pulling out the orange and lemon peel. Very citrus on the nose. This may be because I don't have fresh peaches to offset the citrus.
JamieC

equipment: Stainless 50L boiler, 2200w element, 1M Copper Reflux Still, Punchys power controller, Water pressure reg.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development