Scotch Whiskey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Scotch Whiskey

Postby adictv » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi guys
After to much reading :angry-banghead: what is everyone's thoughts on making scotch? What recipe do you recommend to play around with?
adictv

equipment: Turbo 500
McStill Pot Still on T500

Re: Scotch Whiskey

Postby adictv » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:23 pm

Sorry single malt scotch whiskey
adictv

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:29 pm

This one is supposed to be a good one.

Not had a go at it myself as yet though.

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1638

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:42 pm

I am still doing stripping runs on the above recipe before a big spirit run. Every fucking one has puked on me so far :handgestures-thumbdown: But hopefully it is all worth it in the end. I am not expecting miracles from the spirit run, reckon it will take a fair bit of time on oak to make it great (like the real gear).

As for your question, malted barley with whatever ratio of peat you desire is probably the most basic recipe for scotch whisky, then lots of oak :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:07 pm

As S_L said,
use some malted barley, some unmalted barley, wheat and sugar.
I would start off doing it as a sugar wash, it is simple and no mashing involved.
you will need to play around with the grain bill to see what you like :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby adictv » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks for the replies.
S&l thats no good, would love to find out how the spirit run goes
adictv

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Yeah will definitely post my results, the spirit run will still be a while away yet though :cry:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby rookie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 pm

sam_and_liv wrote: Every fucking one has puked on me so far :handgestures-thumbdown:

My experience would indicate that if this puking is a real problem then it can be resolved in one of three ways:

1). The obvious way - put less in your (still)pot. My own still has no trouble with 19 litres in a 25 litre pot. BUT if you are talking extract then that is a real B one TCH.

2). A surfactant of some form. The oil and butter I have tried doesn't really cut it - sort of emulsifies the dunder leaving a foul mess in the pot to deal with, AND, IMO affects the final product. Another poster "Divey" has found some commercial surfactant that really does works well. Have yet to tell if 3 months down the track all is well, but, at this point in time, looks really good.

3). If doing an allgrain, then, when mashing do a rest @ 54/50c for 20 minutes- a protease rest. - this really calms things down - considerably. My presumption here is that you are already doing a B-amylase rest at 62/58c and an a-amylase rest. If you are omitting the b-amylase rest, which IMO is essential for that true (quality) scotch taste, then the unfermentable sugars remaining in the wort will always lead to puking problems not to mention lost alcohol.

adictv wrote: what recipe do you recommend to play around with?

As they say, whatever rocks your boat - personally when making a scotch style - I would never use sugar, IMO there really is no comparison, AND you can't call it a single malt, BUT that presupposes you have the ability and the equipment to mash. Fortunately for me when I started, a mate of mine was an all grain brewer. Sure did help - a lot.

As they say - Always a
Rookie. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rookie

equipment: much modified boka

Scotch Whiskey

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Cheers for the info, reckon it is probably from the amount of extract used.

I did buy some anti foaming agent from the HBS so hopefully that works.

Also using gas and I am impatient sometimes and heat up too quick, I need to take my time and have another drink!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:12 pm

:text-yeahthat: I don't know what barley your using or what the protein level would be but a decent protease rest sure wouldn't hurt . I do around an hr rest here with my oats as they are very high in protein hence their popularity as stock food . The main reason for doing this rest is because without it it would be a puke nightmare to run
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kobold » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:01 pm

the fine scotch whisky is a winner; after oaking for a few moths i started drinking mine yesterday and have no intention stopping any time soon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Postby kobold » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:16 pm

sam_and_liv wrote: Every fucking one has puked on me so far :handgestures-thumbdown: But hopefully it is all worth it in the end. I am not expecting miracles from the spirit run, reckon it will take a fair bit of time on oak to make it great (like the real gear).

feel ya. i tried ceramic rings, copper saddles, butter and degassing (shaking in a bottle or 5l demijohn), plus mostly the boiler was at 60-70% capacity and it still puked. luckily the effort was worth it. i used two new american oak dominoes per 8.5l of newmake, one of them alligator charred.
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Postby Divey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 am

sam_and_liv wrote:Cheers for the info, reckon it is probably from the amount of extract used.

I did buy some anti foaming agent from the HBS so hopefully that works.

Also using gas and I am impatient sometimes and heat up too quick, I need to take my time and have another drink!

This stuff does work...no more puking.

Divey

equipment: 25 litre Alex Fractional/Pot Still.

Scotch Whiskey

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Cheers divey will check that our if the gear from the HBS doesn't work
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi Divey where did you get that anti foam stuff
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Boomgate » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:23 am

croweater wrote:Hi Divey where did you get that anti foam stuff

They are an aussie crowd, probably "available through all good resellers"... They could probably suggest a reseller, contact details here.

Head Office:
65 DeHavilland Road,
Mordialloc 3195
Victoria, Australia
Tel: + 61 (0)3 9580 3566
Fax: + 61 (0)3 9580 3588
Email: sales@bintani.com.au
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Boomgate » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:34 am

I sent them an email asking where we can purchase their product.
Boomgate

Postby Boomgate » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:33 am

Hello ****,

For this product you may purchase direct as we do not have currently have a distribution network in place for the item. It is packed in 1kg plastic container unit.
However we are unfortunately out of stock till around mid November, therefore could I suggest you contact me around that time should you remain interested.

I do apologise for the inconvenience, pricing as follows...
Product Code: AFA1
39.90/1kg + Postage 13.50 + GST = 58.74
Master Card or Visa, or direct bank deposit accepted.

Best regards, Pete
Peter Meddings
Bintani Australia
Boomgate

Postby stimson » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 pm

with this recipe once you've completed your stripping run, do you add any dunder from the boiler into the next wash or just make ea new batch each time as per the recipe?
stimson

equipment: 2" bokabob
2" pot still
3" flute
4" flute
25L boiler
50L boiler

Postby Sam. » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 pm

stimson wrote:with this recipe once you've completed your stripping run, do you add any dunder from the boiler into the next wash or just make ea new batch each time as per the recipe?

As said in the FSW thread, i didn't use any backset, just do a fresh batch each time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Next

Return to Recipe Development