Rum wurt

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Rum wurt

Postby googe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Hey all, has anyone done this?. Dont realy know if its a true wort but guess we'll find out :)) . I did 1/4 of the Mcrum recipe, added 20g yeast, 4L water, 100g raw sugar, 100ml mollasses. Will be adding 100g aw sugar and 100ml of mollasses per day till finished. Will keep you informed.

Cheers
googe

Re: Rum wurt

Postby Kimbo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:12 pm

googe wrote: Will be adding 100g aw sugar and 100ml of mollasses per day till finished.

There is a maximum amount of fermentables you can add. basically you are just doing a normal wash, just adding the ingredients in stages.Let us know how you get on :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm

yeah bout that googe: I don't think this is so great an Idea, it will just keep fermenting until the yeast gets so stressed it can no longer sustain the alcohol and die leaving you with what ever unfermented sugar there is in it at that stage. Two things are likely to result from that 1/ your wash will look to puke all though ya run and 2/ the way over stressed yeast is very likely to give you some pretty ordinary flavors (remember happy yeasts eat sugar and piss alcohol push them and they'll shit in ya wash)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Modernity » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:57 pm

Croweater,
I commend you, you have such a way with words. :laughing-rolling:
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Postby crow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 pm

;-) tellin it like it is :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Rum wort

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:19 pm

I reckon you might just be making it harder for yourself. If you were talking batches in thousands of litres it might be a different story :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:58 am

Yeah thought of that afterwards kimbo :)) . Crow, wouldnt the yeast just eat what sugar is there and ave a little sleep till i add more?. I always thought yeast stressed when there was to much fermentables not to less. You might have to dumb it down a bit :roll: . Can you alaberate what you meen about big batches sam?.

Cheers
googe

Rum wurt

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:34 am

I'd your talking big batches they usually have an agitator or big mechanical stirrer to keep the yeast moving around, i believe some of them may even add extra sugar etc as they go
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Sorry mate what I meant was if you just keep adding sugar until it stops it will eventually stop because it can no longer handle ABV anymore leaving fermented sugar in there. I'm just not sure what your aim is here, if its an experiment to see the maximum ABV your yeast will take for the least off flavors yep this may tell you that but it doesn't sound like the fastest easiest way to produce a good result to me, what the hell give it a go. The very worst that can happen is a wash with off flavors that wants to puke ;-)
crow

Postby googe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:13 am

The sugar yeast ratio is the same as a normal wash so dont see why there would be different ferment processes. I should have done it with less water, the idea was to try and get the yeast to eat as much sugar as possible.
googe

Postby Kimbo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:00 pm

googe wrote: the idea was to try and get the yeast to eat as much sugar as possible.

Now that's just being greedy :mrgreen:
you can keep the ratios the same as a normal wash, just adding the sugar in stages will only make the fermenting period longer. Adding more sugar than the standard ratio will cause off flavours due to stressing yeast and you wont be able to
re pitch on the lees ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:44 am

Greedy greedy greedy :twisted: , ok, now your all confusing me!, im not adding any more sugar than what is in a normal wash but your saying i am?. I was under the impression that when a full wash is done there will always be some unfermentables left because the yeast is struggling with it all, i am just trying to get the most out of the yeast by not stressing it with tons of sugar. My thinking is, the amount of sugar i use will be less than a normal wash beacuse im feeding the yeast slower and less sugar. hmmm fucked if i know now!! :laughing-rolling: .
googe

Rum wurt

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:47 am

With your normal bakers yeast you will notice ppl only use about 5kg per 25L, when in fact it can handle a lot more than this, the reason to use less is as stated above so the yeast can do their job easily and happily and not produce shit flavours
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:50 am

ok, now your just fucking with my mind!!, so what your saying is i dont have enough sugar for the amount of yeast and this will cause off flavours? :?
googe

Rum wurt

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:17 pm

No if you use too much sugar and stretch the yeast to its boundaries of producing Higher ABV then you will get off flavours that is why ppl generally don't push the yeast too hard
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Im glad we have sorted out that working the yeast to hard will produce off flavours, which im not :roll:
googe

Postby crow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:39 pm

googe wrote:Will be adding 100g aw sugar and 100ml of mollasses per day till finished

Most/all ppl would/have taken this to mean until it will no longer ferment in which case the yeast will eventually stress and die if you mean by finished you reach the amount quoted in the original recipe why didn't you clarify that after the first response or any subsequent ones :roll:
crow

Postby googe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:47 pm

I said from the begining it was a 1/4 of the original wash. which in layman turms means, 1/4 yeast, 1/4 sugar, 1/4 mollasses. I said nothing about until it will not ferment anymore. Your the one that pessumed it. Who gives a shit, this threads fucked anyway.
googe

Rum wurt

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Ha funny shit
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Return to Recipe Development