schnapps-recipes

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

schnapps-recipes

Postby SBB » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Dont know how good the recipes on this site are but there are some interesting recipes for Schnapps and Liquores
As soon as I have the time Im going to try a few of these.
http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/index.html
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: schnapps-recipes

Postby reknaw » Sat May 07, 2011 6:59 am

Good find SBB, I have made a few of them awhile back, the cherry and plum turned out pretty well. The ginger is one that people either love or hate :)
reknaw

Postby SBB » Sat May 07, 2011 10:02 am

Spud did you make the Schapps or Liqueur versions when you made them???
Me n the Mrs both love ginger in any form so Im pretty keen to have a go with the ginger as well.
I think the hardest part would be getting the strength of the ginger flavor right to keep everyone happy.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby reknaw » Sat May 07, 2011 10:50 am

I tried the schnapps for 95% of the ones I did, made a little of the liquer but I stuffed it (my fault not the recipie)

With the ginger I used a piece about 10cm long cut very finely in 5 ltrs, left it for ages, if you like gin I recon you'll like it.

I did the almond one, it went really, really powdery ( does that made sense?, very sedimenty) It smelt bad as well, didn't smell nice either and I didn't even try it.

Liked the cherry and the plum, both smelt very nice and have a nice colour to them.
reknaw

Postby SBB » Sat May 07, 2011 12:29 pm

With the ginger I used a piece about 10cm long cut very finely in 5 ltrs, left it for ages, if you like gin I recon you'll like it.

Geeeeze Spud thats kinda ruined my day :lol: I hate bloody gin.......surely its possible to make a ginger liqueur that tastes like Ginger. :? I might have to do some further research, see what I can come up with. I imagine a taste like a liquid version of that crystallized ginger you can buy when I think ginger liqueur.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby busman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Thanks for the link to that recipe page SBB, after eyeing them off for a while I finally got around to getting a couple of macerations going:

Vanilla schnapps - three vanilla beans, seeds scraped out then pods cut into 5mm lengths, added the whole lot to 750ml of 40%. This has been macerating for three weeks now, the smell from the jar is just heaven :D

Mango schnapps - two mangoes chopped up, all the flesh removed and added to 750ml of 40% (I discarded the peel and seed because I didn't know what sort of flavours they'd give off soaking in alcohol)
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby SBB » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Ive been a bit slack in that department Busman......let me know how the Mango goes........I drank some Mango liquour not long back made by a mob on the Atherton Tableland......was very bloody nice too

Edit: just looking for it on the net and found it here http://www.goldendrop.com.au/products.html looks like its now sold as Mango Cello which in turn gives me an idea :dance: :dance:
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:51 am

I'm betting you will never be able to strain the mangoes out.

A mate did the same thing and ended up tossing it. :?
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby busman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:11 am

5Star wrote:I'm betting you will never be able to strain the mangoes out.

That has crossed my mind, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks :lol:
busman

Postby 4runnin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:16 pm

5Star wrote:I'm betting you will never be able to strain the mangoes out

busman wrote:That has crossed my mind, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks

i think you may need to get a strainer like they use for straining the oil from deep friers in fish n chip shops they are a super fine mesh that filter just about everything almost look like an industrial version of a coffee filter but they are not made out of paper.
4runnin

equipment: 2 inch Pot Still, 50L gas powered keg boiler, 2 inch LM/VM almost ready

Postby bundy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:49 pm

having a hobby in beekeeping i have a micro filter that ties on to 25lt buckets, i filter all my washes through this before putting in the boiler. they cost around $12 from beekeeping suppliers.
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby SBB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Id be trying not to mash the mango to much to begin with, use a nice firm but ripe one and cut into cubes.
Using progressively finer filters starting off with something like cheese cloth should make it possible.
I found Apple Pie hard to filter to begin with.....but in the end ended with it really clear....looked like whisky in the bottle. Paper towel will filter out courser material that just clogs a coffee filter Ive found.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby busman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:12 pm

That was my thought too, SBB. I cubed it as best I could, and what was left on the peel and the seed I just scraped off with a teaspoon.

Thanks for the tip bundy and 4runnin, I'll keep an eye out for a steel mesh micro filter, it'll come in handy for future experiments no doubt :lol:
busman

Postby khourj » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Just started a batch of Strawberry Schnapps. Just filled a Jar with 2 punnets of Organic Strawberrys from my Garden with some neutral I distilled. After 4 days the colour extracted is amazing. Smells great too! I'll let it rest for another month we'll go from there but I'll be trying a PLUM and Apricot Schnapp later on when the stone fruits are in season...

Nice link!
khourj

equipment: 50L SS Keg with 2" Copper Pot Still

Postby googe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Awesome SBB, thanks for the link mate, will be trying some of these :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby Kimbo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:40 pm

I put on a strawberry Schnapps today, (in the hope that I might stumble across something the missus will get pissed on)
the recipe:
A couple of punnets,
200g white sugar,
1.5L 40% neutral.
even after an hour, it's starting to taste pretty awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
2012-09-21 18.50.58.jpg

The rest of the fruit will be fermented, from that 1 bottle will be saved as a wine and the remaining wash will be put thru the bubbler. I have never tried any of these before, so I will keep you all posted :handgestures-thumbupleft:
2012-09-21 18.55.35.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby khourj » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:12 am

:text-coolphotos:

That looks good. I've left mine as whole pieces I all essentially did was cut the head to remove and "white" skin from affecting the flavour. I didn't add any sugar though either as I'm hoping the natural sweetness of the product would come out...

Mine have been resting for 3 weeks now... 8-)
khourj

Postby Kimbo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:56 pm

khourj wrote::text-coolphotos:

How does it taste so far khourj? I'm thinking I might be adding a few more S/berries later :think:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

schnapps-recipes

Postby ChefRo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:23 am

khourj wrote: I didn't add any sugar though either as I'm hoping the natural sweetness of the product would come out...

I find the natural sweetness comes out best at around 45%. Have a play and see how you go.
ChefRo

equipment: 50l 2inch pot
90l S/S Bubbler
power controller
running out of bells and whistles to get

Postby khourj » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Yeah, I must admit I thought Id taste it after you asked and it was a bit sour. :shock: . I assumed the nature sweetness of the berry would've come out...?

FIX:

- 1 cup (approx 160g) plain sugar into standard Mug
- added hot water (water was just covering the top of the sugar)
- dissolved the sugar to make the syrup
- Allow syrup to cool then added to jar with Strawberries
- Give the mix a quick stir

Taste much better... now
khourj

Next

Return to Recipe Development