Rum Mollasses wash

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Mollasses wash

Postby Nardy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:57 am

Thanks for the tip rumby. I'm going to run my second molasses wash through the still this weekend, so will be doing some creative blending when it's done. My first lot still has a bit of a strange pong to it, although that's only been on oak for a week.
Nardy

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:02 am

I would be careful with your blending (adding tails) to your hearts, just try it in small quantities so you dont bugger the whole run up ;)

I like a smooth rum and never add tails to my hearts, tails get run through the still with the next wash.

Cheers.

edit: it'll take a few weeks for that raw smell to change, unless you've added too much tails to your blend..... in which case you'll need to age it much much longer.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Nardy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:18 am

Thanks McStill - I've split the batch up into 6 different containers to age, with various blends. So no doubt some will be too taily, but I think there was one in there with just hearts (well, what I think is just hearts).

I've got the second batch in the still at the moment coming up to temp, although I just had a look at the hydrometer sample that I put aside when filling the still and it's reading 1026! I figured it was done as it's been in the fermenter for 7 days now, but that seems a bit high. I used 2kgs of raw sugar and about 3.5L of molasses in a 25L wash, with 10L of dunder from the previous run and about 1Tbs of tomato paste. Is the dunder causing a stalled ferment or is the FG high because I used a fair bit of molasses do you think?

Either way it's in the still and reaching 50*C, so no turning back now! 8-)
Nardy

Postby R-sole » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:54 am

Dunder can do it, so can repitching on the lees with the aussie feed mollasses. I think it's got just enough preservatives to allow it to ferment in the right circumstance, but repitching somehow either concentrates the acidity or preservatives.

I make a new wash up every time. It's about the only wash (cept sugar wash) that i check with a hydrometer too.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Nardy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:22 pm

5Star wrote:Dunder can do it, so can repitching on the lees with the aussie feed mollasses. I think it's got just enough preservatives to allow it to ferment in the right circumstance, but repitching somehow either concentrates the acidity or preservatives.

I make a new wash up every time. It's about the only wash (cept sugar wash) that i check with a hydrometer too.

So 5Star you don't use dunder? I thought dunder was the key ingredient to a good rum?
Nardy

Postby R-sole » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:16 am

Yes i use dunder quite often, i limit it to under 20% though. Just saying that using dunder can acidify a wash to the point that yeast become very unhappy.

I don't use dunder for white rum, just Pints Fast Fermenter as it is.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:14 am

So if can get too acid that means PH has to be measured and adjusted.What is best PH for yeast.
wynnum1

Postby R-sole » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:46 am

They're happy round the 5-6 and will keep slugging out down to about 3.5 before stalling.
R-sole

Previous

Return to Recipe Development