Recapitulated sugar head oat whiskey

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Recapitulated sugar head oat whiskey

Postby crow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:15 am

I've been doing a single malt oat whiskey for a while now and started doing a oat sugar head concurrently but then thought why am I wasting grain. I now reuse the grain from my sacrification mash to do a reiterated grain sugarhead in the same genre as the UJSM. Heres a basic outline of the process I'm using currently
I boil the spent grain from my last sugar head strain and then dissolve my sugar (same ratio as UJSM) and put that in my fermenter with say 50% or so of the stillage (warm) from the last sugarhead wash to this I add the spent grain from my mash (I freeze this stuff until needed) and add some hot water. Then when the temperature is between 32 and 27 I pitch with the last sugarhead lees, it seems to be coming along just great :D
Last edited by crow on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: same old reason literacy
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Recapitulated sugar head oat whiskey

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:43 am

It's too early to tell now, but please keep us posted after they've aged a bit.
I am very curious to hear your thoughts on/if the taste difference. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:51 am

Yeah I'd call it old crow but some other vile poisonous shit has claimed that name :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Good call,
What about "Stoned Crow"? :teasing-tease:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Tue May 07, 2013 3:36 pm

Ok i ran this one through the bubbler . it was a mix of low wines and finished wash. the resulting whiskey is really something special , not like the single malt but not really worse . It is and it tastes like it is a sour mash oat whiskey. I've put another down and can recommend this process :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

Return to Recipe Development