Dunder Pit Rum

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Dunder Pit Rum

Postby kiwikeg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Lots of posts on other forums on how to grow a funky dunder pit but not much detail on actually how to use it.
my pit is a seal 20l pail and is about 5 months old,
IMAG0520.jpg

there noth rreally any mould but it blew the lid off a few times and smells buttersctochy-sweet nice
here is the sludge at the bottom of the dunder pit looks like yeast cells?
IMAG0521.jpg

my plan is to do 2 ferments one with 5l of dunder+water+sugar and one all dunder=sugar
I tipped the dunder into my bop and fired up the 747 and boiled it for 10mins to kill off any pathogenic bacteria
IMAG0522.jpg

melted the sugar and cooled with the wort chiller into glass fermenter and pitched Stillspirits Rum Distillery Yeast.
IMAG0524.jpg
IMAG0525.jpg
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Re: Dunder Pit Rum

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:58 pm

No action in the all dunder+sugar wash I am thinking pH levels are to blame, the other wash with 5l of dunder is bubbling bit better but not by much.
kiwikeg

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Add a squeeze of lemon juice to it KK,it done wonders for Mac's :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:27 am

okay the all aged dunder wash is not doing f-all, but the one with 5l of aged Dunder after a slow start is going off.
going to split the all dunder 20l wash into two fermenters and top off with water to see if that will save it.
I will save adding the lemon juice for when i feel like cleaning the shed floor.
kiwikeg

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm

5l wash is fizzing like coke now and the 20l all dunder I split into 2 fermenters and topped up with water has got some airlock action going on at last too...
kiwikeg

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Seeing as yummy linked to this thread. Heres a brief update fermenters struggled for weeks and ended smelling gross, nothing on earth would have convinced me to distill and drink the results. Tipped fermenters onto vege garden.
I did something very wrong with this wash.
kiwikeg

Return to Recipe Development