Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby Homebrewer » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Put down my first TPW as per McStills recipe... :dance: Can't wait to run it........
Bubbling its head off in less than an hour of pitching the yeast. Going to enjoy trialing these (new to me) recipes Now to look up grain washes..... :D
Homebrewer

equipment: 1 x SS LM on 50l SS keg & 1 x SS CM on 50l SS keg. both 2200W electric,

Postby googe » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:20 am

Yeah Popcorn jack, not to worried, im usually pretty well not follow the rules type ha. Just thought i'd share cause some people are very finicky about the way they do things and have to stick to every little rule. I always just sloped my beer brews together and they work out fine. Yeah its smelling good now mac, nurnt me nose hairs thismorning :)) . I did second spirit run of it yesterday homebrewer, very nice drop, some jars have next to no smell and the taste is smooooooth :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:48 am

Yes same here recipe calls for 5 kg sugar it comes in 2 kg bags =6 kg 140 gram paste theres 240 in 2 tubs
So 3 bags sugar 2 tubs paste and the rest pretty much as recipe
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Tomato paste wash

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:13 am

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Yes same here recipe calls for 5 kg sugar it comes in 2 kg bags =6 kg 140 gram paste theres 240 in 2 tubs
So 3 bags sugar 2 tubs paste and the rest pretty much as recipe

Yeah I do same. Two tubs o paste, 6kgs sugar. Yeast, Epsom, citric. Add heat. Wait. Distill. Flavour. Get drunk.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Popcorn Jack » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:12 pm

McStill wrote:as long as the yeast didnt get burnt by too hot water it should be ok, even if only a small amount of yeast survives it will regenerate and start working.

what the stressed surviving yeast do to your wash in regards to off tastes is debatable, but with good stilling practices for neutral I'd say it'll be ok.

How hot can you take lowens bakers yeast...

PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby Sam. » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Popcorn Jack wrote:
McStill wrote:as long as the yeast didnt get burnt by too hot water it should be ok, even if only a small amount of yeast survives it will regenerate and start working.

what the stressed surviving yeast do to your wash in regards to off tastes is debatable, but with good stilling practices for neutral I'd say it'll be ok.

PJ

I personally wouldn't take it past 32 but I reckon there might be guys that have had good success at higher temps.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:17 am

My TPW is still bubbling after 14 days its 25 deg
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Tomato paste wash

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:48 pm

How often are the bubbles? Every 15sec should be good to go but to be sure drop your hydrometer in, if it's .990 or below then it's ready! :) 25C is ok
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Fatherjack » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Put down 1st TPW this arvo

Followed recipe in 1st post of this thread :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Bubbling away already :clap:

What temp is this best kept at?

Stopped by HBS today came home with 30L fermenter, alcometer, hydronmeter, but had all ingredients in pantry except extra sugar & TP :D
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Tomato paste wash

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:00 pm

I keep mine at 30 and usually finishes in 4-5 days + 2 days clearing 7day turn around, as the man has said, higher temp of fermenting forwarding on foul flavours is debatable at best and can be eliminated with good distilling techniques
Urrazeb

Postby Popcorn Jack » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:07 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:
Popcorn Jack wrote:

PJ

I personally wouldn't take it past 32 but I reckon there might be guys that have had good success at higher temps.

I strarted my temp high since proving temps for bread are usually around 40 - 45c. I know I'm not baking but " scientifically " thinking (lol) I figured i am using it in a moist enviroment aswell so these temps must be safe. I have to say fermentation started quickly and solid like it was a turbo.

PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby badseed » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:53 pm

I have distilled my first TPW, initial impressions are great.

After the fermentaion finished I racked it to a secondary and let it clear for a few days.

The result is a fine smelling clear spirit, but I have noticed a tiny amount of red speckles on the surface when collecting the spirit.
Almost like drops of tomato oil, if there is such a thing. I assume (assumption being the mother of all fuck ups ;-) ) that this is from the Leggos paste I used, the second one I have made is using the salt free stuff.

So I filtered it anyway, I was planning on letting it breath for 24 hours so it might as well breathe in the filter.

The final product is a great neutral spirit, crystal clear and great smelling.
TPW all the way for me now, thanks for sharing the recipe.
badseed

equipment: Air Still.
3 x 30l plastic fermenters
1x 20l glass fermenter
Temp controlled brew fridge

Postby Bnr032 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:55 am

I too have just finished stilling my first TPW on the weekend.
Mainly because of purchasing sizes i did the following:
250g Tomato paste,
tea spoon Epson Salts,
6KG Sugar
approx 1/3 cup of Fresh lemon juice.
100g of bakers yeast.

After 2 weeks in the bucket, i mixed some gelatin and water as a clearing agent, cleared up nicely (this next batch i will leave for 3 weeks to see how it clears by itself.)

Impressions - the spirit i believe smells alot sweeter then the turbos. The taste isn't as harsh (spilled a tiny bit when moving jars around.) i must say i was nervous in regards to i know you guys get it to work, but how sensitive would this be if i made any mistakes. Anyway i guess i wont be using that packet of Alcotec i still have in the cupboard now.

I finally think i may have a good enough neutral to serve to my Mrs as vodka without any flavoring...
Bnr032

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux

Postby wombat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:53 pm

About to tackle a TPW ( been a albran man for awhile ) , question please could I use the tomato straight from the plant, if I can what weight of tomatoes would be required to match say 140gms of tomato paste but would I be required to add anything else thats missing thats in the paste.

Cheers wombat
wombat

equipment: 25 ltr electric boiler plus a pure distill , 4'' 4 plate FSD with copper packed extension on 80 ltr Boiler with 2.4 / 3.6 electric elements

Postby SBB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Forgive me if I'm out of line here BUT!
People seem to be over complicating this tried and proven recipe, It doesn't need gelatin or 3 weeks to clear......nor does it need things like Dolmio Pasta sauce in it.....or anchovies for that matter.
This recipe is on every forum world wide for one reason.......it WORKS as it is........no need to play with it.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Tomato paste wash

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Someone had to say it
Urrazeb

Tomato paste wash

Postby Sam. » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:43 pm

If you look at a jar of tomato paste the ingredients don't just say tomatoes. So no.

But if you want to try an experimental tomato wash then start a new thread and give it a crack. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MR-E » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 pm

SBB wrote:Forgive me if I'm out of line here BUT!
People seem to be over complicating this tried and proven recipe, It doesn't need gelatin or 3 weeks to clear......nor does it need things like Dolmio Pasta sauce in it.....or anchovies for that matter.
This recipe is on every forum world wide for one reason.......it WORKS as it is........no need to play with it.
SBB

:clap: well said :violence-smack:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby Boomgate » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:06 am

Im following the recipe as it is.... i DO add the gelletin before running it... it clears it up in about 3 hours.... I do this to avoid puking more than anything to do with the recipe... I have never tried it without and I since this is working for me I wont stop doing it.

I have run the recipe twice now without any problems, the first time it took about a week and a half, degrees ranged between 19 and 23, the second time temps were in 25-28 region and it took 6 days to reach a gravity of 990.

The flavour is nice, Can drink it neat even when fresh (watered down to 40%) ... and delicious when added to coke.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Bnr032 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:55 pm

i have run a couple of these, i am not using any extra heat to the fermenter, i leave it 2 weeks (i work away from home anyway) and on friday night when i get home i give it the gelatin treatment either saturday arvo/sunday i will boil it.

My thinking is that if i use the gelatin to settle it, it a) like people have said will reduce the likely hood of any puking, and b) surely if its not in the boiler, it cant be making my packing any dirtier.

It does make a mighty fine drop of neutral, it goes very nice chilled with some ice cold orange juice.

Michael
Bnr032

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development