Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Recipe Discussion

Postby googe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 am

Would watering down a 20l tpw to 40l do anything worth while?, make a cleaner spirit?.
googe

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 pm

A less alcoholic wash that takes more time to run to extract the exact same amount of booze? Can't see why you'd bother?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby googe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Yeah I know that mate,was just asking if it would be any benefit with refining with regards to more water bouncing around in a bubbler.
googe

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:52 pm

googe wrote:Yeah I know that mate,was just asking if it would be any benefit with refining with regards to more water bouncing around in a bubbler.

Actually the opposite, but we would need an expert. I had problems on the initial run with mine and I suspect the wash being light on for alcohol might have made the plate loading less effective. More water would be worse I would have thought, but I'm sure one of our experts will way in with a thought or two soon.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby SBB » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:31 pm

The only time Ive heard of watering down wasn't with wash its self, but on a second or third runs, Some of the neutral gurus on some forums claim it makes for a cleaner neutral. The theory from what Ive read is that the extra water retains more of the off tastes from the tails and other parts of the run in the boiler. I cant say it works as Ive never tried it, I do know these bloke a pretty fussy about their neutrals and vodkas.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby googe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks byb. Thanks sbb, thats pretty much what I'm talking about, I guess the only way to know is to try it.
googe

Recipe Discussion

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 pm

googe wrote:Thanks byb. Thanks sbb, thats pretty much what I'm talking about, I guess the only way to know is to try it.

...and report your findings.

;)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby SBB » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

For what its worth from memory they are watering their still charges down to about 28-30%.,,,I think....dont quote me on that.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Recipe Discussion

Postby Dominator » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:59 pm

How important is it to let a TPW clear? I am thinking of stripping one tomorrow but it is still letting off a bubble about every 30 seconds or so.

Also I know it is not advised to reuse your lees but what about boiling them and using them as nutrients for the next wash.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:50 pm

Dominator wrote:How important is it to let a TPW clear? I am thinking of stripping one tomorrow but it is still letting off a bubble about every 30 seconds or so.

Also I know it is not advised to reuse your lees but what about boiling them and using them as nutrients for the next wash.

You will probably get some average flavours from the yeast through, depends on how nuetrel you want your nuetrel :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby the Doctor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Dominator wrote:How important is it to let a TPW clear? I am thinking of stripping one tomorrow but it is still letting off a bubble about every 30 seconds or so.

Couple of issues here... I have run an unfinished TPW and the biggest problem was that I got a poor alcohol return... but was about to leave for a long holiday so I guess it was better than nothing. I did not seem to get much if any off flavours ...but there again I always strip the spirit run at at least 6 plates plus packed column for neutral so that is not too unusual. As for re-using lees on TPW I would not recommend it... By the time you have gone through a full fermentation, they will not have much goodness left and will acidify your next wash... Others may know more about this ...but I think it counter-intuitive to look to yeast waste to feed yeast... Take care.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Recipe Discussion

Postby Dominator » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks fellas. Might just leave it for another week or so to make sure it is done. Will also stick to the proven recipe.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby ticknaylor » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:23 pm

Been giving this a bit of thought because I wanna give atleast one all grain a go. But why don't commercial distillers make sugar washes like UJSSM I mean there all for making money with heads riddle drinks so why don't they do sugar heads?
ticknaylor

Postby db1979 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:36 pm

They can probably get the grain cheaper than the sugar. Both come from a crop, but the sugar is then milled and refined so more costly.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bluess57 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Grain may be easier with freight & handling? No ants, no sticky slurry if it gets wet... ?
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby drunkmore » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:08 pm

:law-policered: off topic :violence-stickwhack: Can't say its original recipe if they use a sugar wash
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Re: MacWhisky

Postby bac206 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:39 pm

So I've embarked on the MacWhiskey train too. I'm running a 2 inch pot and here's my plan/what I could get from LHBS.
I've got 2 30l fermenters running as per original recipe but made following changes due to availability:-
Per fermenter
1x 1.7kg tin Coopers Real ale
1x 1.7kg tin caramalt liquid extract
4kg sugar. 20g yeast. Epsoms and citric.
My plan is to do 2 strip runs and use one fermenter for spirit run.
As tins were larger than original recipe I'm thinking that there will be enough flavour for multiple gens without adding more grain for my plan. Using about 10L of back sets to retain flavour also.
Any recommendations greatly appreciated
bac206

equipment: 2" CM Keggomax
2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller
Just finished 4" glass bubbler

Postby MacStill » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:42 pm

My recommendation is to stick with the original recipe, or start a new thread in the development section :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bac206 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Please move my post then admin. Not all of us blessed with bubblers so gotta adapt
bac206

equipment: 2" CM Keggomax
2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller
Just finished 4" glass bubbler

Postby MacStill » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Cant see how bubblers has anything to do with it mate, it doesn't change the recipe depending the still type.

What bothers me is these tried n proven recipes get so far off topic it's hardly readable let alone understandable, then I get questions saying I followed your recipe to a tee but it didnt come out right..... then 10 PM's later it's revealed the recipe wasn't followed at all but the person based it on some other bastardised version posted in here, WHICH MAKES HELPING NEWBIES OUT NEAR FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development