Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Did not have any citric acid used the vinegar instead for ph and to break down yeast could convert sugar but only using the sugar to process the yeast and not enough only two table spoons the hot sugar gets a lot hotter then boiling water .tomato paste quotes triple reduced and they add salt have tried boiling a tin of canned tomato 400 g and then put through a sieve but this may not be enough tomato as only 240 g of tomato and added juice may need to use two tins but the tins do not have the salt so will see how it goes and the heated yeast as nutrient may help.
wynnum1

Postby jamjar » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Another 170 l TPW just mixed up and starting to bubble, if it works as well as the first I will be very happy.
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby bundy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:10 pm

every tpw i have done finishes with a layer of tom.past foam on top.wash is finished and clearing under the foam.
is this natural or am i doing something wrong. finished product is OK.just foam on top of wash. :oops:
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby SBB » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:38 pm

I haven't done one for a couple of months now Bundy , But I don't remember having any foam on top once it stopped bubbling. I dont thing it would really matter either way.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby maheel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:14 pm

what yeast you using bundy ?

i had one go funny last batch with some floatation on top but not foam mine was more like clumps of yeast cake
maheel

Postby bundy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:46 pm

maheel
using punkins yeast. you could be right its like clumps of something.
bundy

pot still

Postby jamjar » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:00 pm

Just had a look at my7 days old wash - no foam on mine.
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Postby maheel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:21 pm

bundy wrote:maheel
using punkins yeast. you could be right its like clumps of something.

the one i had clump issues with was punkins wine yeast as well :o i actually just left it in there then skimmed it out with a sieve
finished ok and tasted pretty normal to me stripped run was "normal"

wonder what the yeast does not like ?

5Star you ever seen the issue before ?
maheel

Postby chicky » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:40 pm

ok. am about to do my first tpw run (and first spirits run), so from a 25l wash, end result i should get about 3l of 40% hearts? im going do a triple batch (3 times 25l), and put the 3 individual washes through my pot still and then the output from that combined (plus whatever water i need to add to get 25l) through the reflux, giving me around end result of about 9l of 40% clean spirits? doing the maths it comes to about $30 for ingredients too. im guessing 7 days to ferment should be heaps at around 30 degrees, and then il transfer (rack) for another 7 days to clear it. does this all sound pretty close with what too expect?
chicky

equipment: turbo 500, still spirits pot still

Postby R-sole » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:12 am

No, i've never done this wash either though. Yeast should clear though, it does in other washes i've used it in, flocculates well.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby chicky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:01 am

oh, and do you lads stir the wash mid fermentation or just let it sit?
chicky

equipment: turbo 500, still spirits pot still

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:46 am

chicky wrote:oh, and do you lads stir the wash mid fermentation or just let it sit?

Just leave it to do it's thing mate, active yeast keep things moving in the wash ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bundy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:45 am

i just sprinkle the yeast on top of wash.maybe i should rehydrate it first and get it started. :?:
bundy

pot still

Postby maheel » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:21 am

chicky wrote: im guessing 7 days to ferment should be heaps at around 30 degrees, and then il transfer (rack) for another 7 days to clear it. does this all sound pretty close with what too expect?

yes sounds about right, the 7 days is subjective to many things and clearing can take a while depending on what you consider "clear"

try not to focus to hard on your yeild, better to have 3.5L of really great product your happy with than 4L of stuff thats not nice

best way is to get some fermenting ASAP :) then when you have time strip it. Dont forget you can just about ferment in anything "food safe" so if you see some cheap buckets you can just put cling wrap over them and leave them siting. I dont bother with airlocks / lids ever and have left TPW sitting around for weeks / months clearing with no bad effect.

i have one downstairs that might be 8 weeks old, i should have a look and take a pic :)
maheel

Postby maheel » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:25 am

5Star wrote:No, i've never done this wash either though. Yeast should clear though, it does in other washes i've used it in, flocculates well.

i'll get another going and see what happens, it was a 80L batch that had "issues" and i think i might have short changed it on Nutrients ut it was as if the yeast just did not want to flocc, as it was clumping up and floating? could have been holding CO2 in it's mass and floating? who knows

i still have 25L of that wash sitting, i will lift the lid and have a look, lol
might have to strip some...
i have been mucking about with the beer end of things to much
maheel

Postby Griffo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi everybody I have been out of touch for a while.
I made a TPW with McStill's version 3kg sugar 80grams bakers yeast 1/4 tea spoon citric acid 200grams leggo's tomato paste it turned out great I have put down 3 more I put the yeast in at 30 degrees and in about 1 hour it started frothing up so I took the lid off and stired it back down and it was all right then.
I have put down McStill's Rum recipe for the 3rd generation looking foward to the end result.
Thank's McStill
Griffo.
Griffo

equipment: REFLUX

Postby devotus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:23 pm

my tpw is two weeks old today and is reading 994 and still letting off a bit of gas. I reckon I'll leave it another two weeks because its far from clear.
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:36 pm

@ devotus
I let my tpw get down to 990, and give it a few days minimum after that to settle, my last one finished in 4 days and I let it sit till the w/e ( 5 days)
I can only imagine that the cold weather would causing long ferment times for ya, try wrapping it in some sort of insulation from the very start ie: when you chuck in the hot water to dissolve the sugars, wrap it then to keep in the heat and it also generates it own heat in the beginning ,( I've heard of wrapping electric blankets , but I'm too stingey for that, don't even have one on the bed , so the ferment ain't gett'n one before me :laughing-rolling: . ya just wanna keep as much of it as possible, dunno maybe right maybe wrong, maybe you have different weather to what I imagine

Cheers
Stubs
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby devotus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Cheers Sd, I wrapped it straight away in blankets and towels and it sits near the heater (at about 18-22°c) although our heating sometimes drops dramatically. I guessed its the shitty cold weather or something I did wrong. I'll have to start a new one shortly in a different container and see if I get any change in results.

I measured the alcohol content as well and my alcometer said it was only 5% approx so I may of fucked up somehow even though I followed mcstills recipe.
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby JustStillin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi Devotus,

I have read that alcoholmeters are innacurate in a wash, they're only reliable in the final spirit from what i've read. Thats why you use a hydrometer in the wash. Although i've not tried using one in a wash so can't speak by experience. Can someone elaborate why perhaps?

JS
JustStillin

equipment: 4" Perforated plate still
50l keg boiler, 2 x 2400W elements.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development