Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby maheel » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:25 pm

i gave up looking for cheap sugaz wasted time and fuel.... $1 a kg a woollies is good enough for me.
i just grab 3Kg or more every time i am there
maheel

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:44 am

Well I have just finished consumming my 1st TPW and I must say everything you say about it is true. I actually decided I would keep the whole 6 litres at 40%, normally I toss out the heads and tails, but this time I thought I would keep em and see if they tasted any good.

Well naturally the hearts were delicious and didnt need any carbon filtering, that was great! saved me lots of time and money. The heads surprizingly weren't too bad without carbon filtering, drinkable and I didnt get a hangover. The tails were bloody disgusting, YUK I tipped out the 1st glass full after the 1st sip. Then I thought maybe if I carbon filter it, it might taste better, and YEP it did taste better, it was drinkable, not delicious, but drinkable.

So thats the best yeild I have had yet. I have one pack of turbo yeast triple distilled left which is just finished fermenting and I will still that in a few days. Then after that its going to be TPW all the time. Great recipe and fantastic value for money. The only drawback I could find with it, was it took 3 weeks to finish fermenting...........THANKS McStill for the tip about TPW, I highly recommend it.
Johnboy1234

equipment: Euro 30-2 25L column reflux still

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:36 am

Use three fermenters a week apart. Just seperate the heads and tails and tip them in your next run. Your hearts cut will be bigger and your heads and tails cut will be slightly bigger (not twice as big) the first time and then stay constant.

AndYouWon'tHaveToDrinkItPunkin
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks 5Star thats very good advice, though thats something I will have to do gradually as Im broke at the moment and fermeneters are like $55ea over here. Though that is my plan, then I can just have the good sh#t.
Johnboy1234

Postby R-sole » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:53 pm

You don't need fancy fermenters for what we do. Any sort of food grade bucket with some glad wrap over the top will do.
Lots of people use plastic garbage bins.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:40 pm

REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just gladwrap over the top of any old bucket or container!!! Wow!!!
But don't ya need the plastic airlock thing that bubbles to let you know how its doing?
Johnboy1234

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:50 pm

If you use glad wrap you'll see even better what the wash is doing ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Johnboy1234 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Hey yea thats true, I always wondered what was going on inside.
Whats the story with letting the air out? Do I just put the glad wrap on loosely?
Johnboy1234

Postby MacStill » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Just prick it with a pin ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:02 am

Because we are not trying to store the wash for long term and because we are brewing higher abv washes than when brewing beer, the protection of the wash is not so stringent. Infections have little chance of competing in the environments we create, and no chance to build numbers in the time frames we use. 8-)
R-sole

Postby maheel » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:56 am

McStill wrote:Just prick it with a pin ;)

dont bother pricking the CO2 just finds it's own way out :)

i use the bunnings $16 round fermenters with the rubber seal in the lid, I take the seal out of the lid and use it as a rubber band to hold on the glad wrap.
or find a big rubber band or something to keep the wrap on "tight".

saves washing up the lids....

i would look for "food safe" bins or

i have also seen people line big bins with those BIG clear garbage bags that you see at airports / events as they are food safe.
then you just syphon out the wash one done and dump the bag
maheel

Postby Johnboy1234 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:20 am

Hey Guys

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!
Thats great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I had known about that weeks ago, I'd be well stocked up with Bourbon right now. Oh well at least I know now and can start working on it.

Man Im so glad I am on this forum, this is gonna save me heaps using TPW and buckets and gladwrap.

Ok Off to still my last turbo wash, and then it's TPW and Gladwrap all the time.

Now if I could just find a way to get sugar cheap, over here the cheapest I have found so far is 5KG bags for $9.29 at Pack n Save. I guess thats reasonably priced. It must be cheap in QLD with all the sugar cane fields everywhere.
Johnboy1234

Postby MacStill » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:17 am

Johnboy1234 wrote: It must be cheap in QLD with all the sugar cane fields everywhere.

You would think so wouldnt you, but we pay as much as those in Western Australia and Victoria for our sugar :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby busman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:19 am

Johnboy, I use an 80L food grade drum I bought on ebay for $10 and just rest the lid on loose. You could probably find something similar on TradeMe.
busman

equipment: 2" VM column, 2" pot still, 55L keg boiler

Postby Johnboy1234 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:19 am

GOOD IDEA Busman!
Thank you I didn't think of that, I will try now.

Cheers
Johnboy
Johnboy1234

Postby Johnboy1234 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:58 pm

McStill wrote:
Johnboy1234 wrote: It must be cheap in QLD with all the sugar cane fields everywhere.

You would think so wouldnt you, but we pay as much as those in Western Australia and Victoria for our sugar :lol:

That doesn't surprise me actually, as here in sheep country, we pay more for OUR lamb, than they do for NZ Lamb in London supermarkets..........Going by that I wonder how much Eskimos pay for ice lol :-)
Johnboy1234

Postby SBB » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Johnboy its fuckin wierd how things work...I tried to buy a leg of goat to cook a curry from a local butcher not long back.......it was gunna cost me half as much again as lamb. We export boat loads of wild goat to 3rd world countries.....Ya cant tell me they are paying those sorts of prices for it.
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Griffo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Hello everybody, my name is Griffo,
I have just joined up and have been reading about your TPW I'm very interested, I have a super reflux still and I use turbo yeast and it smells I usualy filter twice, it helps a little I'm only new to the game and would welcome any help,Do you use the TPW wash for making all your spirits .
Griffo
Griffo

equipment: REFLUX

Postby MacStill » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:18 pm

G'day Griffo,

TPW (birdwatchers recipe) is probably the most simple effective way of making a vodka/neutral, if you want a bourbon or rum type drink your better off following other recipes designed to do just that without adding brew shop essences.

If you like a bloody good vodka you can play around with, then this recipe is the go ;)

..... and welcome to the forum :mrgreen:

Cheers.
Last edited by MacStill on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shoulda useded speller checking thingamy
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Griffo wrote:Hello everybody, my name is Griffo,
I have just joined up and have been reading about your TPW I'm very interested, I have a super reflux still and I use turbo yeast and it smells I usualy filter twice, it helps a little I'm only new to the game and would welcome any help,Do you use the TPW wash for making all your spirits .
Griffo

welcome Griffo

yep good gear :)

i strip it with a pot still (normally 2 X 25L bathes)
then re-run it in a Boka
i make pretty savage cuts now and love the stuff i make

yield is lower than turbos but i reckon carbon filtering is a pain in the arse...... also depends on your cuts etc
maheel

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development