Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby bt1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:11 pm

If anyone puts citric in a TPW I will personally shoot them..13 shot modified Glock should do the trick...

it's just not needed. Tom paste on it's own is about 4.5 - 4.0 pH in a volume it's ok but seriously ..your yeast prefers the 5.0 range.

Citric in a TPW is receipt hang over from neutral brews like DWWG...it's not needed.
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Tomato paste wash

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Agree Bt

The only reason you would add it would be if you we're going to boil the sugar with it to invert it but again I don't think this is needed either
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Hold the 9mm geco rounds for a second I'm not sure thats !00% right 100% of the time . Yes tomato paste has a low pH but ya not filling the fermenter up with it , thing is pure water is say 7 pH but a lot of ppls water particularly ground water is slightly alkaline say 8 pH now 200 grams at 4.5 pH ain't going to get you to 5 with that water and may even struggle to get there with rainwater . Seems to me weather its needed or not depends lot if not entirely on the water quality ;-)
Last edited by crow on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Tomato paste wash

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Good old Adelaide water must be good then!

Had to be good for something I guess?

But then again adding a teaspoon of citric acid is going to do fuck all as well....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Water ph from my tap is 8.9 :o
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Tomato paste wash

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:54 pm

McStill wrote:Water ph from my tap is 8.9 :o

Woah, think I need to get a ph meter
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:03 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Good old Adelaide water must be good then!
Had to be good for something I guess?But then again adding a teaspoon of citric acid is going to do fuck all as well....

Adelaide water good :wtf: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: , yrs ago ships wouldn't take on water in Adelaide and Bombay :icon-lol: :icon-lol: these days it has more chemicals in it than Keith Richards blood supply . if I woke up hung over in Adelaide (happened fairly often) and dry reached but couldn't spew a glass of straight tap water would sort that out real fucking quick , Nth Perth ain't no better (sprinklers make the brickwork rust
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Tomato paste wash

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:05 pm

Yeah I don't drink it in its normal form. Ok once made into beer or spirits tho!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby audistiller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Well I trust your judgement not to use it, however the water quality here is from a bore field and is crap to say the least. Several people it seems have used the Citric Acid, so lets just say its needed, what do you think the quantities of all the ingredients I should use for the 15 litre wash...?

I will look into it further later and possibly check the PH, and then decide if its needed, maybe an idea is I can try 2 washes since I'm only doing small ones, I can do one with it then one without it.

Thanks for the input so far......
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:14 pm

audistiller wrote:Well I trust your judgement not to use it, however the water quality here is from a bore field and is crap to say the least. Several people it seems have used the Citric Acid, so lets just say its needed, what do you think the quantities of all the ingredients I should use for the 15 litre wash...?

I will look into it further later and possibly check the PH, and then decide if its needed, maybe an idea is I can try 2 washes since I'm only doing small ones, I can do one with it then one without it.

Thanks for the input so far......

Ph test strips should be part of your kit man, I check every wash. Quantities for a reduced volume of the recipe, not that hard dude, break it down to how much needed per 1L of water and times those figures by your desired wash size :shock:

EDIT: :angry-banghead:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby audistiller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:37 am

Icarus wrote:I have read on HD forum that bakers yeast can only achieve a 14% ferment

I read last night that generally bakers yeast only gets to around 8%. I just found the source....

Mike cautions though ...

Just an aside for "newbies", please don't get the idea that some yeasts produce more alcohol from a given amount of sugar than others. The "higher alcohol yield" bit refers to the tolerance of this yeast to alcohol during fermentation. For example, the strains of yeast used by bakers cannot tolerate concentrations of alcohol higher than around 8%, so any sugar left in the wash once this level is reached remains unfermented.
audistiller

Tomato paste wash

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:22 am

You can get 12% out of lowans bakers yeast without stressing the yeast at all.

I do this regularly with just sugar. Tomato paste and yeast.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:30 am

sam_and_liv wrote:You can get 12% out of lowans bakers yeast without stressing the yeast at all.

I do this regularly with just sugar. Tomato paste and yeast.

:text-imwithstupid:
A simple 5Kg in a 25L wash is around 12% ( i think)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:43 am

Is this thread still about TPW ?? :roll:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby audistiller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:03 am

McStill wrote:Is this thread still about TPW ?? :roll:

Yep, I was focusing on bakers yeast for a moment because I just read some information about the low percentage of alcohol tolerance.
audistiller

Tomato paste wash

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 am

Yeah sorry Mac this thread keeps going off topic.

Maybe we need to move all the shit to a new topic and lock the tried and proven?

Then there can be another topics for everyone's variations?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:07 pm

Wouldn't stress over it S&L the recipe is still at the start of the thread ;-) I might move a couple of posts that aren't relevant at all to this wash
crow

Postby SBB » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:24 pm

I pity anyone who's new to distilling and washes reading this entire thread.........they are gunna leave really confused,
All it takes is to FOLLOW the RECIPE on page one, Let it ferment out, let it sit a few days to a week , then run it.
It really is that easy.
i have nothing against experimentation with washes or discussing different methods, but why make something so simple sound so hard in a tried a proven thread.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Lowndsey » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:40 pm

SBB wrote:I pity anyone who's new to distilling and washes reading this entire thread.........they are gunna leave really confused,
All it takes is to FOLLOW the RECIPE on page one, Let it ferment out, let it sit a few days to a week , then run it.
It really is that easy.
i have nothing against experimentation with washes or discussing different methods, but why make something so simple sound so hard in a tried a proven thread.

+1 ..It's in the tried and proven for a reason.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby audistiller » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Well...finally...I have my first Tomato Paste Wash now bubbling away after 6 months of thinking about it.

I used a brand new food grade 20L bucket with lid, and I drilled a hole then fitted an airlock. Its a small wash I know, but I suddenly got really keen and both of my 30 litre fermenters are in use. Due to the apparent heavy frothing of the TPW I limited the wash to 15 litres.

The ingredients I used are,

3kg White Sugar
.18 gram of Citric Acid
2.7 grams of Epsom Salts
48 grams of Lowans Bakers Yeast
120 grams of Leggos Tomato Paste

The start SG was exactly 1010, and the water temp was 31 degrees when I pitched the yeast. It took 30 minutes to start bubbling, and only took just over an hour to actually start fermenting. I'm going to try and keep the temperature between 30 & 32 degrees.
audistiller

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development