Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby dillsandwitch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:56 pm

yeah he tasted it and then made some grumbling noises that may have been roughly translated to "that's not bad" in old crazy guy speak. he has come around a whole heap since the early days. he now at least listens and only grumbles a little bit. didn't like when i said i preferred the Cleavland shop to the capalaba one though :S
dillsandwitch

equipment: T-500 :D

Postby karrotbear » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:54 pm

Okay, so today I tried my hand at making a TPW, fermenting away in my 50L keg I would assume I have roughly 43ish L of wash

I used roughly:
11kg Sugar
500g-ish tomato paste
1-2 teaspoons of citric acid
and 140-160g bakers yeast

And I have no idea what I'm doing :D

Keg is kind of warm, not really, sitting at about 30 degrees at the moment. But I'll wait and see :)
If I wanted to check the SG (not sure why I would check it) as it ferments away, would I just siphon off a little bit into a beaker and test it there?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Many, including me add Epsom Salt if you have some, to add Magnesium to the wash but can't see why you would have dramas with what you have done.

At around 30deg with that much yeast it should kick off pretty quickly. If you have an airlock and a airtight lid seal I would expect it to be holding pressure within an hour or maybe 2 and start bubbling within 3 - 4 hours.

Mine are always 25L batches and they start bubbling within 2 hours if the temp is right.

I would leave it alone now if you have not checked the hydro at the start. See how it runs and if you concerned check it at the end of the ferment, see if it tastes dry ( and not sweet ) and see how close your hydro is to .990

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:29 pm

karrotbear wrote:If I wanted to check the SG (not sure why I would check it) as it ferments away, would I just siphon off a little bit into a beaker and test it there?

Ok you check the starting gravity because there is a formula you can use if you know the start and final gravity by which you can accurately calculate the amount of alcohol in the wash. I can't remember the formula of hand but they is a calculator for it in Beginners questions section (see calculators)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby emptyglass » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:56 pm

karrotbear wrote:Okay, so today I tried my hand at making a TPW, fermenting away in my 50L keg I would assume I have roughly 43ish L of wash

I used roughly:
11kg Sugar
500g-ish tomato paste

Keg is kind of warm, not really, sitting at about 30 degrees at the moment. But I'll wait and see :)
If I wanted to check the SG (not sure why I would check it) as it ferments away, would I just siphon off a little bit into a beaker and test it there?

If you think you can retrieve the hydrometer, you can drop it into the keg, but given your'e going to have a hard time reading and retrieveing it, yes, just syphon some off and test it that way.

Even if you don't know how to calculate the abv yet, take the reading. You will find it handy to know later.
emptyglass

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:34 am

I know finish sg of 990 is ideal what do they start at
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby unsub » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:39 am

I know finish sg of 990 is ideal what do they start at

Depends on the amount of sugar I think. There is a calc on this page that gives you an idea of the SG of a sugar wash xcalcs.html

edit: Didn't read croweaters post above bout the calculators before posting :doh:
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby rookie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:47 am

karrotbear wrote:Okay, so today I tried my hand at making a TPW, fermenting away in my 50L keg I would assume I have roughly 43ish L of wash

I used roughly:
11kg Sugar
500g-ish tomato paste

With that much sugar, SG at commencement should be around 1.102 - a little high. Means that if all that sugar were to complete then ABV would be above 15%. Too high for Baker's Yeast. The ferment will most likely stick unless you water it down some. For that size wash 8kgs of sugar to 9kgs max for baker's yeast is probably best.

The simple formula that Croweater was referring to is

(Starting SG - Final SG) x 1.32 or 1.33 = ABV (Alcohol By Volume)

DAP (Diammonium Phosphate) is a great yeast food but is a little hard to get without Urea which needs to be avoided in your wash like the plague. I have been sold DAP with Urea as food grade over the net. Urea is usually seen as small lighter coloured round balls amongst the course granular DAP. IMO easier and safer to use tomato paste as the nutrient.

If you keep your sugar to about the level above you will find that your wash runs quickly and produces a high quality just slightly sweet "neutral". If you intend to use this "neutral" with essence to produce spirits such as rum, whisky, bourbon, ie. those spirits that are normally aged in oak, then soak 2 oak sticks per litre (about 200x15x15 long grain cut, not cross grain, definitely not HBS shavings) in your neutral, prior to mixing your spirit. This will give you that "depth" of flavour that you might have been missing since making your own.

Your yeast level is about right - Your tomato paste could have been halved - Citric acid max a teaspoon - but these are really changes of no consequence.

Hope this helps. BTW once sampled you will never go back to Turbo again. AND before long you will be messing with rum and all grain and gin infusion etc, etc,etc,.:handgestures-thumbupleft:
rookie

equipment: much modified boka

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:45 pm

rookie wrote:The simple formula that Croweater was referring to is

(Starting SG - Final SG) x 1.32 or 1.33 = ABV (Alcohol By Volume)

Havent seen that one, I have always used the same formula that I use for my beer (SG - FG) / 7.46, think it works out roughly the same as above :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby billybunter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:15 am

HI All..billy here
My boka-vm not quite finished yet..Can i run TPW twice through my 2inch pot and still get a good product with cuts..

Billy B
billybunter

equipment: pot and vapour management

Tomato paste wash

Postby Sam. » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:47 am

See what you reckon after two and if not happy go for a third run
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:14 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:See what you reckon after two and if not happy go for a third run

Yep, what he said
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby badseed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:29 pm

I just put down the recipe from the OP. Exactly as written.
Surface activity within 10 minutes (the yeast is floating - was I supposed to stir it in, does it matter?)

I'm used to making beer with liquid yeast that you have to be careful with, perfect temp control and starters etc.
This is a lot easier :D
badseed

equipment: Air Still.
3 x 30l plastic fermenters
1x 20l glass fermenter
Temp controlled brew fridge

Tomato paste wash

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:03 am

I normally wake the yeast up with some warm water and a handful of sugar, I find activating it first let's me know the yeast is good. U can just whisk it in if u want, I have done and no probs:)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:16 am

I put down 6 kg sugar 2 tubs legos paste 100 grams yeast pinch epson salts and 1/4 spoon if citric acid 23 liters water been sitting steady bubbling for 8 days at 26 deg
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Popcorn Jack » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:13 pm

I have done this recipe
21l 38c water
6 kg sugar
1 cup no salt tp
1/4 tsp citrus acid
Pinch Epsom salts
80 gram bakers yeast

Top up to 25 l

OG 1.098@35c

I had some extra yeast in the tin so it was probably 100 grms. This finished at .910 after 2-3 weeks.
My ferment temps started at 35 but outside temps ranged from 12 at night to 28 in day. It bubbled solid for 5 days to a slow gurgle , to just say hello, after that. .
( cost of TPW I plan to just have them brewing/ clearing away waiting )
Looks like someone said, watered down fanta. I threw 2 tsps of geliten dissolved in 200 mls of water ,after i racked into another fermenter, to "help" with clearing. Few weeks later it's time to cook.

PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby Kimbo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:17 pm

thats great PJ, let us know how it tastes after you run it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Put one down the other day, had a blonde moment and just chucked the sugar tp and yeast in then the hot water then cold, seems to be bubbling fine.
googe

Postby Popcorn Jack » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 pm

googe wrote:Put one down the other day, had a blonde moment and just chucked the sugar tp and yeast in then the hot water then cold, seems to be bubbling fine.

I'd say it's not rocket science and being slap happy and just clucking it together usually works. I look back when I was a wee feller watch the old man clucking fruit and sugar in one of his old buckets and just stirin it every day. I think we get a bit varied away with the fine details and end up with the same results. And to argue with myself I think there are some gidlines that keep us from waisting our time.

Hick hick

PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:38 pm

as long as the yeast didnt get burnt by too hot water it should be ok, even if only a small amount of yeast survives it will regenerate and start working.

what the stressed surviving yeast do to your wash in regards to off tastes is debatable, but with good stilling practices for neutral I'd say it'll be ok.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development