Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby zwagerman9 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 pm

My new favourite trick, thanks to stephenkentuckys video, pitch my yeast and hit it with the blender for 4 or so mins. No stirring. Just sugar, hot water, tomotoe paste, up to 21 litres, yeast and blend. Already got a nice krausen by the time you stop :handgestures-thumbupleft:
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Postby JayD » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:20 am

Hi Folks,
When l first stumbled upon this thread l thought to myself....ewwww...a tomato paste wash...then as time went on and l kept coming back to read this thread time and time agian, l thought what the heck and tried it. Well l got off the phone after taliking to FilthyPhill and he just ran the wash we put down a couple of weeks ago through Lennythelizards pot and he absolutely raved about the taste of the distillate, and knowing how much Phill spends on a good drop to sip on this said heaps to me ! so once more l find myself saying thanx to all who openly shares their secrets... :text-thankyoublue:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

TPW

Postby mathew11 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi all,
There is a lot of in between stuff about TPW washes in the Tom paste wash recipe here.

Could I ask everyone to list only there TPW Recipes here without the in between conversations?

Not being rude, Just so we can all get a concentrated look at everyone's twist on there TPW wash.

-What Still type/setup?
-Gravity/% at end of wash?
-How much fore shots produced mL/L?
-How much drinkable 90% -96% it made after distilled mL/L?
-Tails produced mL/L

I am new to this, so I am interested in seeing the difference in recipes and the results?

Cheers.
mathew11

equipment: 50L keg
80cm Copper reflux head

Re: TPW

Postby mathew11 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 pm

[/quote] Sugar wash - TPW - Tomato paste. its all the same..
mathew11

equipment: 50L keg
80cm Copper reflux head

Re: TPW

Postby nb0s » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:37 am

Hi Mathew

I did a little excel spreadsheet to calculate expected outcomes of TPWs. Unfortunately the site will not allow spreadsheets to be uploaded. If you want it PM me

I have used this calculator to produce 15% plus sugar washes, but quite frankly I find the time and trouble involved just too great. These days I usually make

A 23 litre mash
4kg sugar
58 grams bakers yeast SAF Lowans
144 grams TP

Starting SG 1069
Finishing SG 990

Still Ferromit N25 with parrot.

for a 10.25% wash. Less off tastes, simple, easy and quick. Ferments and clears in about a fortnight. I only bother to distill @ 90% ABV the taste with this wash on my still IMO does not improve shooting for 95% - so why bother. This wash gives me just short of 2litres of superb neutral
if you want to shoot for higher ABV washes then you should probably go for higher ABV output from your still

Regards :handgestures-thumbupleft:
nb0s

equipment: Alex N25 Reflux / pot

Postby Dino61 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:13 pm

I did my first TPW over the last week or so, and it went well. I used a 60 litre container I got from Llandilo in Western Sydney for $20.Used 12kg of sugar 220gm Lowans yeast, 1/2teaspoon citric acid, 500gms tomato paste .Started with 1270 SG. Took a week with a submersible heater I use that keeps it round 28 degrees to get to .990. Distilled 2 full 25 litres off and about another 10 to finish it for a yield of not a lot less than the turbos, I think I got 3 litres off the second 25 litres at 80% , (after stuffing up the first 25 by having the cork in still holding the thermometer slightly loose and losing a bit) and without the taste and smell,so its great.
I siphoned off with the first lot, but then I've put taps in for the next brew that's underway...

http://dinosmc.com/brew1.JPG

What the advantage of the tomato paste over straight sugar?

Cheers, Dean
Dino61

equipment: custom 80l stainless boiler made n NZ , 2x 2400w elements, reflux and pot heads.

Postby Kimbo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:10 pm

The TP is purely nutrient for the yeast
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby grumpthehermit » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 pm

If by straight sugar you mean literally water, sugar and yeast then the advantage is that the tomato paste is a food for the yeast to help it grow and sustain it comfortably with nutrients while it devours all the sugar in your wash.

The Epsom salt is for magnesium, the citric acid is to get the ph about where it should be.

Without nutrient the wash would not go well, turbo yeasts are packed with fertilizer ( of sorts ) to help them eat all the sugar.

A few people here are playing with alternates to tomato paste, myself included. There are washes on the go with pumpkin's and radishes etc.

DAP is another popular nutrient that you can use, it's a food grade nitrogen for brewing.

Look up WPOSW if you want to see a DAP reciepe.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby pootan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Just ran off my first tpw after doing a few turbo washes to dip the toes.

It produced 1.7L of 95%, while the turbo washes produced around 2.4L, they used 8kg of sugar compared to 5kg with my tpw.

Allowed 200mls at the start and then ran off 400mls of heads. Then collected the 1.7L of good spirit with temperature going from 79.1 to 79.8. After this collected another 400mls of tails.

Does this yield sound about right ?
pootan

equipment: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Postby NotBenStiller » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:36 am

pootan wrote:Just ran off my first tpw after doing a few turbo washes to dip the toes.

It produced 1.7L of 95%, while the turbo washes produced around 2.4L, they used 8kg of sugar compared to 5kg with my tpw.

Allowed 200mls at the start and then ran off 400mls of heads. Then collected the 1.7L of good spirit with temperature going from 79.1 to 79.8. After this collected another 400mls of tails.

Does this yield sound about right ?

Yep i'd say that's pretty good, will give you 4L of 40% - i think ~1L of 40% product per kg of sugar is supposed to be reasonable - depending on your cuts and FG of the wash etc
so you're a bit under that, but it'll taste heaps better than the turbo - and heaps cheaper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Dino61 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks for the replies ,all makes sense ,cheers
Dino61

equipment: custom 80l stainless boiler made n NZ , 2x 2400w elements, reflux and pot heads.

Postby JOHNYWALKER » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:54 pm

So after reading the tried and tested, :angry-banghead: What would a good recipe be for a TPW. Every one has there own ideas, but i just need one to start off with. I am running it through a reflux still.

JW
JOHNYWALKER

equipment: 60l FERMENTATION CONTAINER
REFLUX STILL

Postby Kimbo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:58 pm

JOHNYWALKER wrote:So after reading the tried and tested, :angry-banghead: What would a good recipe be for a TPW. Every one has there own ideas, but i just need one to start off with. I am running it through a reflux still.

JW

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8&start=280#p11
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Post #1 of this thread mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby JOHNYWALKER » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:48 am

Dino61 wrote:I did my first TPW over the last week or so, and it went well. I used a 60 litre container I got from Llandilo in Western Sydney for $20.Used 12kg of sugar 220gm Lowans yeast, 1/2teaspoon citric acid, 500gms tomato paste .Started with 1270 SG. Took a week with a submersible heater I use that keeps it round 28 degrees to get to .990. Distilled 2 full 25 litres off and about another 10 to finish it for a yield of not a lot less than the turbos, I think I got 3 litres off the second 25 litres at 80% , (after stuffing up the first 25 by having the cork in still holding the thermometer slightly loose and losing a bit) and without the taste and smell,so its great.
I siphoned off with the first lot, but then I've put taps in for the next brew that's underway...

http://dinosmc.com/brew1.JPG

Cheers, Dean

:clap: How much water did you use, 60l or 50l? :clap:
JOHNYWALKER

REFLUX STILL

Postby Popcorn Jack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Think he used 50.
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby JOHNYWALKER » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Well used 12kg sugar, whole container of lowans yeast, 1/2 tea spoon citric acid and 50l water. Off we went, stuck it on last Friday 28/09/12 and it seems to have stopped bubbling today, so thats 7 days of fermentation, i will do a test tonight to see where we are at.

Now so i understand this correctly. I need not wait for the wash to clear before starting the reflux. Or do i ?

JW
JOHNYWALKER

REFLUX STILL

Postby dillsandwitch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:42 pm

give it another week to clear a bit. or stick it somewhere cold overnight to get it to clear faster. I usually have mine looking like fanta when i run it
dillsandwitch

equipment: T-500 :D

Postby crow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:15 pm

dillsandwitch wrote:give it another week to clear a bit. or stick it somewhere cold overnight to get it to clear faster. I usually have mine looking like fanta when i run it

Don't taste like it though :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: So have ya converted the old man yet
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:35 pm

croweater wrote:
dillsandwitch wrote:give it another week to clear a bit. or stick it somewhere cold overnight to get it to clear faster. I usually have mine looking like fanta when i run it

Don't taste like it though :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: So have ya converted the old man yet

What the old man doesn't know, doesn't hurt! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development