Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

Postby thedapperbenz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Nathan02 wrote:Are you telling me you don't want the beautiful fresh smell of sweet molasses and freshly fermenting rum wafting through your home? Whats wrong with ya :D :D :teasing-neener:

haha not wanting to go OT in this thread.. but being a complete newb I was expecting the molasses to basically throw somewhat of a deeper honey smell through the house. Mentioned it on a facebook group and got laughed out! :)) my other half is pregnant and EXTREMELY sensitive to smells, so I was kindly advised off the molasses wash idea :handgestures-thumbdown: especially as our garage door opens directly into the lounge room and kitchen.

a nutrigrain wash can't be all that bad! haha
thedapperbenz

equipment: 2" copper Pot Still / shotty
50L keg boiler (electric)
Hopes & dreams

Postby woodduck » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Youu could substitute in the brown sugar but not sure you'll get a rum taste, that comes from the molasses I'd recon.

Not sure on glass ware mate I do single runs through the bubbler so don't need to many :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling: you could try the calculators in the newbie corner, they'll tell you approximates.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Dig Brinker » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:44 am

Up to ten litres strip from 45 litre run. Hope you bought enough glass!
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby thedapperbenz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Hey ladies & gents.. just thought I’d let you know that Nutrigrain is half price at Woolies at the moment (805g boxes)

:dance:
thedapperbenz

equipment: 2" copper Pot Still / shotty
50L keg boiler (electric)
Hopes & dreams

Postby RC Al » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:22 pm

13 fit in a single layer on a trolley, damn shelf was empty then :smile:
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:46 pm

Yeah I noticed my local Woolies was out of stock :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby andybear » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:55 pm

Wasn't me Sam. But I did clean out my local woollies.
Anyway can someone tell me the best temp to set this wash to? I guessed it would be about 24 deg but I set the thermostat to 24 and it won't cool down below 27.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby bluess57 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Coles has Nutrigrain on special at $4 for 800g box
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby grumpyian » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi Guys,
Well is almost 12 months to the day since I started my Nutrigain experiment with guidance from a few on here managed to do 3 generations
and stripped each then back in again for spirit run good cuts and then the heart on to oak in late Jan this year. Let it sit gave it a swirl let it sit swirl sit and watched and dipped a finger for a taste here and there. Time passed and in October I cut it to 40% let it sit to mellow and on the 10th November lets give it a real taste testing.....Hummm well after conferring with my tasting buddy a plan was hatched and today what a great improvement back thru the t500 and now a great neutral to put on oak with a bit of essence and it will be great in another 6 months or so.
End of Nutrigrain trial for me not to my taste :puke-huge:
grumpyian

equipment: Turbo 500 Copper Reflux
Dome Pot

Postby mjcj01 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:54 pm

So I did a stripping run (1st generation) yesterday and followed the receipt for the 2nd gen. I let the backseat cool overnight and used it to dissolve the sugar. However the wash isn’t doing anything after about 6 hours. Any suggestions...e.g add some more yeast?
mjcj01

equipment: 50l Keg Boiler.....2"Inch copper pot still with 1m of packed reflux column.

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:00 pm

Yeah I’d add some more yeast and if that doesn’t work I’d check the ph :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Plumby » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:30 pm

What size wash and how much backset did you put into it?
I try to keep to around 10-15% of the total volume in the fermenter.
If its fermenting good I continue with this ratio if it slows down I reduce the amount of backset.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby mjcj01 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Plumby wrote:What size wash and how much backset did you put into it?
I try to keep to around 10-15% of the total volume in the fermenter.
If its fermenting good I continue with this ratio if it slows down I reduce the amount of backset.

I used about 5L in 25l wash.....there was about 4-5 litres left in bottom of fermentator from 1st gen
mjcj01

equipment: 50l Keg Boiler.....2"Inch copper pot still with 1m of packed reflux column.

Postby bluc » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:50 pm

As well as 5l backset?
Trub(stuff in fermenter! Yeast etc) will effect ph also :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by bluc on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby mjcj01 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:05 am

I added 50 grams of yeast and it has kicked off again
mjcj01

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:48 pm

what experience have people had using the T500 with this recipe??

sounds like a tasty idea but not sure if its worth running through the t500 or not?
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:35 pm

****SPECIAL ***** Just came across this in the junk mail pile...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:46 am

:greetings-waveyellow:
I currently have a 25l wash of this nutri grain recipe fermenting at the moment ( first time ive made this so i assume this is called first gen??)

I have the T500 and not sure what the best way to run this would be???

I have run the TPW by doing a strip run then a spirit run. I have done this a couple of time and very happy with it over the turbo wash..

Not sure how i should run the still at all with this wash. any help appreciated ^:)^
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby woodduck » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:17 pm

Unfortunately with the T500 you won't get much flavour if any at all. I can't speak for the t500 cause I've never used one but pretty sure they can't be run different so you can get a flavoured whiskey. This recipe will give you a nice smooth vodka/neutral though. The grain base gives a slightly smoother mouth feel to the dryer tpw.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:29 am

woodduck wrote:Unfortunately with the T500 you won't get much flavour if any at all. I can't speak for the t500 cause I've never used one but pretty sure they can't be run different so you can get a flavoured whiskey. This recipe will give you a nice smooth vodka/neutral though. The grain base gives a slightly smoother mouth feel to the dryer tpw.

Hey Woodduck, thanks for the response. That is what i thought would be the case..... :crying-blue: i was hoping to make some whiskey from this still but have learnt there are various stills for different outcomes depending on what you want to make. I have only been learning for 3 months so i'm sure i have a few more disappointing corners to turn. Is a pot still or bubbler best for making whiskey??? or does this depend on the wash you use... :think:

In your opinion should i still do a strip run then spirit run or just do the spirit run?
ZEROINSTINCT

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development