Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

Postby Teddysad » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:33 pm

If you are not kicking it off soon freezing is better - refrigeration will slow fermentation right down freezing will stop it.

Can be in plastic bags (double bag for strength ).

With the amount of grain in your original no extra needed for the first couple of generations - you are on the right track. After that then maybe 25% out and replaced with new.

Keep a check on the pH before pitching additional yeast don't let it go lower than 4.0 5.0 is better. and I would chuck a Multivitamin tablet in each time.
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Irritable » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:12 pm

The freezer it is.
Thanks for the advice. This is such a bloody helpful forum with genuine ppl.

I'm on my 8th jar at 300mls. Im So relieved, FINALLY some decent tasting output!
Even with my little circus still(super reflux), the flavour is there in this run - I can only imagine at this stage what a decent pot would taste like, but this will do me for now.
It started at 80% and dropped reasonably quickly.
It's running out twice as fast as normal and I'm now down to 60%. I can just start to smell / taste tails but ill give it 24 hours before making cuts.
I'm looking at collecting maybe 3.0 litres down to 40%.
It was a 22 litre? Wash at 15% so that's not too bad for this little girl still.

I'm definitely going to grab some more sugar and rerun this frozen - umm... Lees? Dunder? Backslash?
What is coming out is very reminiscent of my recent destill tour, when they let us taste very early on in the process.
OMG I love this hobby.
Best go take some more abv readings, temps 87 so def in tails but I have a feints jar regardless.
Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Si
Irritable

equipment: Super Reflux that aint so super but aint so reflux :)

Postby Teddysad » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:30 pm

Trub!
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Irritable » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:49 pm

Yeah? Same to you!

You really notice that the tails in pot still mode are no where near as horrible as a reflux tails...I knew there would be a difference but it's actually quite bloody huge - the tails that cone from a sugar wash from a reflux still nearly make me dry reach, but in pot mode, I could add a mixer to the tailscoming out at 40% and...yeah, ok probably not, but its far from bad..lol.

If it wasn't so late if piss off and get some sugar and mix in me trub!

Si.
Irritable

Postby Irritable » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:56 pm

Okay so cuts taken...I kept about 2.0 litres from 3.5 litres and the 2 litres is at 58%.
That 2 litres now lives on a handful of chips from a port barrel. I think I need to char some of these chips as they are not charred at all - so colour won't be there unless I do something. I could drink it like it is but it's far from fantastic. I think some "sleep" for the product is in order.

What have I learned? That the hearts from a reflux still are a lot more pronounced than a pot, but the heads and tails from a pot still are not as pronounced as a reflux...hmmm compressing vapours...hmmm, interesting.

The trub - smells like off bloody cider - not sure if its meant to be like that.
Si
Irritable

Postby Irritable » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:17 pm

Furgot me snappy pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Irritable

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:25 pm

If you have got big hands with the oak it may change quicker than ya think chips and small chuncks will flavour faster than the same weight in dominoes,wich will give you a better oak profile charred or not,check it often at night befor bed, :laughing-rolling: .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Irritable » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:07 pm

Shhhiiiit.
I've just been reading about this and now I'm wondering if I should of ran it twice, I didnt do a stripping run, I just pushed the water through at a pace where the product came out really slow but constant.
It smells and tastes ok even deep into tails which I dropped into feints jar...now I'm in bed thinking shiiiit. Lol.
Si.
Irritable

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:23 pm

Exsitable wrote:Shhhiiiit.
I've just been reading about this and now I'm wondering if I should of ran it twice, I didnt do a stripping run, I just pushed the water through at a pace where the product came out really slow but constant.
It smells and tastes ok even deep into tails which I dropped into feints jar...now I'm in bed thinking shiiiit. Lol.
Si.

Just about every commercial whisky is double pot stilled ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Irritable » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:28 pm

Live and learn I guess. I was reading Docs quote - ain't nothing that doesn't get better after double destilling...or similar.
Stuff it - sick of playing with this toy still. Getting a keg this weekend and then can start ordering bits and start doing it properly.
Si.
Irritable

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:48 am

Hallelujah, he's seen the light! :happy-partydance:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby MickC » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:02 am

I got one of them stills why I built a boka, worst thing about getting to the point you have, is you now know them little stills are shite but in all good conscious you cant go selling it to the next poor sucker...... :violin:
MickC

equipment: The little 5lt ones you get from a home brew shop :(

Just built a 3" Boka :)

Postby Irritable » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:21 am

Those super reflux units simply are what they are - it has taught me a damn lot and has provided some drinkable product....on coke...when icy cold...and already half shot lol...not that bad really.
I might lend it here and there to showcase how good my "new" product really is hehe.
Si.
Irritable

Postby MickC » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:03 am

The way i see em is they are like using a pair of pliers to tighten up a nut......sure they can do the job but using the right tool makes the job sooooooooo much easier.
I wish when I purchased mine I had been a member here and not wasted a shit load of cash, which I could have used to build.
MickC

equipment: The little 5lt ones you get from a home brew shop :(

Just built a 3" Boka :)

Postby scrub turkey » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:24 pm

Okay I have a question while haunting the local cereal isle I came across Kellogg's Guardian ingredients wholegrain cereals (63% wheat,barley),(psyllium husk 12%),sugar,oat bran,rice,barley malt extract,flavour,salt,vitamins (vitamin c,niacin,riboflavin,thiamin,folate) ,mineral (iron) contains gluten containing cereals may contain traces of peanuts /tree nuts. Not exactly cheap here $6-7 for a 360g box, the idea is to try for a all grain whisky flavour . Thinking of a 800g box of nutri grain and 2 boxes of guardian for the first wash, following the original recipe use the same grains for the 2nd wash and for the 3rd to 5th wash use a 500g box of nutri grain and a 360g of guardian. Was wondering what everyone's thought's were on this idea?
scrub turkey

equipment: turbo 500 and alembic pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:20 pm

Does it taste good as a cereal? If so, it will taste good as a whisk(e)y :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Teddysad » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:53 pm

That 12% psyllium husk is pretty inert and wont do much for flavour.

I suspect it is there for added fibre only
The rest should work fine although not cheap
Teddysad

Postby scrub turkey » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Does it taste good as a cereal? If so, it will taste good as a whisk(e)y :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Well Zak it looks like special K and tastes to me like Sultana Bran without the sultanas' :-B. Teddysad yeah not cheap but hopefully the extra wheat and barley will give a all grain scotch flavour well that's the idea
scrub turkey

equipment: turbo 500 and alembic pot still

Postby Teddysad » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:50 pm

I would just use extra weetbix to achieve the same
Teddysad

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Without peat smoked malted barley I don't think you'll get too much of an AG Scotch flavour :think:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development