Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

Postby woodduck » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Pot stills are fine mate they just require the two runs, strip and spirit run.

Bubblers have a quicker take off rate, higher abv and only require a single run for whiskey. Either still will do the job for a whiskey. Pot stills will be cheaper or easier to make if that's your thing. If you think your gonna be in the hobby for a fair while the bubbler is definitely worth looking onto.

As for the two runs on this wash through the t500, I would only do a single. They are designed for single run refluxing and if a bit of flavour does happen to pass through it won't be a problem as it will be a nice one. Just my take on it.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:11 pm

woodduck wrote:Pot stills are fine mate they just require the two runs, strip and spirit run.

Bubblers have a quicker take off rate, higher abv and only require a single run for whiskey. Either still will do the job for a whiskey. Pot stills will be cheaper or easier to make if that's your thing. If you think your gonna be in the hobby for a fair while the bubbler is definitely worth looking onto.

As for the two runs on this wash through the t500, I would only do a single. They are designed for single run refluxing and if a bit of flavour does happen to pass through it won't be a problem as it will be a nice one. Just my take on it.

Thanks Wooduck, :text-thankyoublue:
Bubblers sound like they are the all rounder....

I'm on the same page and will just do the single run.
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Postby woodduck » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:18 pm

To do neutral in a bubbler you'll need a packed section at least if not a couple extra plates but yep they are the all rounder of stilling, wouldn't give mine up for quids
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby mjcj01 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 am

just put on my 4th generation....how many generations are people doing? :?
mjcj01

equipment: 50l Keg Boiler.....2"Inch copper pot still with 1m of packed reflux column.

Postby RC Al » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:17 am

You can do as many as you want by keeping on top of ph and backset

I've got g6 ready to run, but I am going to pause there (i like corn - uj - much more) and start using that grain bed for neutral and see what happens flavor wise with just more sugar added, no backset or fresh cereal, probably a vitamin tab too
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby mjcj01 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:59 am

RC Al wrote:You can do as many as you want by keeping on top of ph and backset

What PH tester do you use...and what do you mean keep on top of "Baclset", or was that in reference to the PH....thanks
mjcj01

equipment: 50l Keg Boiler.....2"Inch copper pot still with 1m of packed reflux column.

Postby RC Al » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:34 pm

Too much backset can "over sour" the taste, did it on g4, used very little (10%) for g5, all good, similar amount for g6 and it smells fine.

I just use a cheap digital ph gauge from China, usually only if I'm having trouble
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:58 am

:greetings-waveyellow:
so im new to making cereal washes.... i have completed the first 2 gens of this nutri grain recipe and i run through my still....
im now up to my 3rd gen and seems to be taking a lot longer to ferment. 3 weeks now and still looks a while off. still creating a bubble but very far apart.
my backset uses were close to 100%. would this be a problem... :think: . also should i be worried about ph (will check tonight) any help apreciated ^:)^
ZEROINSTINCT

equipment: Still Spirits Turbo 500 with the Artisan solid Copper Condenser. Column

Postby woodduck » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:02 pm

Yep ph would be my guess. Did you say your using 100% backset? If so that is waaay too much you only need a few ltrs in a 25ltr wash.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:31 pm

woodduck wrote:Yep ph would be my guess. Did you say your using 100% backset? If so that is waaay too much you only need a few ltrs in a 25ltr wash.

Thanks woodsuck.

What’s the downside to too much backseat???
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:47 pm

What sort of ph should I be aiming for?? Also is it ok to adjust this to get things going again ( if this is the problem)
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby Sam. » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:23 pm

Backset has a very low PH (acidic) so too much and your PH will be too low for the yeast to ferment.

Anything under 3.5 and they will begin to struggle :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:43 pm

Just did a test on it and showed 5-6 ph
Just got the strip tests so they are a bit hard to get a good reading.. definitely not as low as 3.5
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby bluc » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Have you taken gravity reading with hydrometers yet. Is it dry and sour or still sweet? If you let some dry on your finger is it sticky?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:45 pm

Lol :laughing-rolling:
Over the last few days I have been doing hydrometer tests to see what’s happening.... but kept getting the same reading 1.130
But thought I would check just now as you mentioned it and found one problem. Haha. The backset is so far up in the fermenter that it is holding up the hydrometer...
Took a sample out and is reading around 1.
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby bluc » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:40 pm

1 is prob done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:52 pm

Hey Zero, I think your confusing trub with backset. Trub is the solids left in the fermenter and backset is the spent liquid after a run.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:45 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Hey Zero, I think your confusing trub with backset. Trub is the solids left in the fermenter and backset is the spent liquid after a run.

:oops: :oops: Omg... this is one of those embarrassing moments when you (I) realise I’ve been doing it all wrong... I’ve read posts and etc regarding this but just had a different idea from what I read of what it actually was.... so the backset is the liquid left in the boiler after distilling??
Last edited by ZEROINSTINCT on Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZEROINSTINCT

Postby Plumby » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:09 pm

:drool:
ZEROINSTINCT wrote:
Doubleuj wrote:Hey Zero, I think your confusing trub with backset. Trub is the solids left in the fermenter and backset is the spent liquid after a run.

:oops: :oops: Omg... this is one of those embarrassing moments when you (I) realise I’ve been doing it all wrong... I’ve read posts and etc regarding this but just had a different idea from what I read of what it actually was.... so the backset is the liquid left in the boiler after distilling??

Yea man sure is, the yeast bed or trub is what's left in the fermenter when you empty it, backset it what's left in the boiler after a run.
To do generations you reuse the yeast bed/trub add more sugar and grains or cereal as well as a percentage of backset. Some people use more some less, personally I start at approximately 20% of my total volume as backset. So if I'm doing 180 litres of cfw ill ad 35 litres of backset, as I do my generations I add a bit less if its going slow or use the same amount if its going good. Hope that helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Plumby on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby ZEROINSTINCT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:02 pm

Plumby wrote::drool:
ZEROINSTINCT wrote:

Yea man sure is, the yeast bed or trub is what's left in the fermenter when you empty it, backset it what's left in the boiler after a run.
To do generations you reuse the yeast bed/trub add more sugar and grains or cereal as well as a percentage of backset. Some people use more some less, personally I start at approximately 20% of my total volume as backset. So if I'm doing 180 litres of cfw ill ad 35 litres of backset, as I do my generations I add a bit less if its going slow or use the same amount if its going good. Hope that helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:

PMD you plumby
ZEROINSTINCT

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development